Returned my leaf after 36 months and 30k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found "my car" advertised by a dealer.
It has gone through an auction and asking price now is $2k less then residual price I had on my lease

http://www.auto.com/cars/Nissan-Leaf-SL-2011-JN1AZ0CP5BT004780

Internet Special: $14,288.00

I assume they are making a profit on it when selling, so it is safe to assume the leasing company didn't get more then $12k for it at the auction.

Yet they wanted > $16k from me at end of lease.

It is brain dead on the part of Nissan. "We will refuse to negotiate with you so that we can loose thousands on every lease turn in..." A great business plan!

fromport said:
I assume they are making a profit on it when selling, so it is safe to assume the leasing company didn't get more then $12k for it at the auction.
Yet they wanted > $16k from my at end of lease.

fromport said:
I found "my car" advertised by a dealer.
It has gone through an auction and asking price now is $2k less then residual price I had on my lease

http://www.auto.com/cars/Nissan-Leaf-SL-2011-JN1AZ0CP5BT004780

Internet Special: $14,288.00

Yet they wanted > $16k from me at end of lease.

It's unfortunate that NMAC doesn't wiggle on the buyout price of the lease. I understand a contract is a contract, but it seems to me it would be in NMAC's best interest to sell high to the previous owner instead of selling low at auction.

I would like to buy my car, but not for $16,000. I might just google my VIN after turning it in and seeing if I can haggle with whoever got it at auction.

kubel said:
It's unfortunate that NMAC doesn't wiggle on the buyout price of the lease. I understand a contract is a contract, but it seems to me it would be in NMAC's best interest to sell high to the previous owner instead of selling low at auction.

I would like to buy my car, but not for $16,000. I might just google my VIN after turning it in and seeing if I can haggle with whoever got it at auction.

I would like to be at auctions where they sell those lease returns.

I wouldn't want to buy my car back (range limited to 50% compared to new)

Instead I would have bought something like this one:
http://www.auto.com/cars/Nissan-Leaf-SV-2011-JN1AZ0CP8BT000478
It is down to 8 bars !! with just over 3500 miles.
I assume this one has been a rental.
Charged to 100% and let out in the heat/sun in San Diego.
Perfect example of how to kill your batteries :twisted:

I would continue to kill the battery, have it replaced under warranty and you would have an almost "new" car ;-)

Btw: Am now in the 3rd month of my rav4ev. Last 2 months were over 1400 miles each month.
Furthest I have driven on a full charge is 160 miles on one day (with 9 miles left according to the dash)
The leaf got me hooked to driving electric.

kubel said:
While probably true, I think a lot of the reason is precedence. They figure, if they let this guy slip, the next one will try and haggle as well. They're just hoping to get a sucker to pay "retail" price for it.

I don't know what their profit margins are, nor the rate of buyouts at residual are. Someone at some point in the management chain did the math on this.

Basically, 1/10 buying at 16k, 9/10 auctioned at 12k > 1 buying at 16k, 4 out of 10 buying at 14k, 5/10 auctioned at 12k.
Wait… what?

Yeah, NMAC is retarded.

fromport said:

I God, that is terrible. I guarantee that will be sold to someone who has no idea what "bars" are and who is told it's a great car because of the super low miles. It's just as good as a new one!

fromport said:
kubel said:

I would like to be at auctions where they sell those lease returns.

I wouldn't want to buy my car back (range limited to 50% compared to new)

Buy it, take it to a dealer and get a new battery under warranty, and drive off with basically a new car.

Now the catch. Dealer will say that the "yearly" battery inspection wasn't done and you are SOL!

Which app is this?

fromport said:
Valdemar said:
I'm at 78% SOH at 54k miles and while 70 miles occur below VLBW it is still totally doable at 4.3 m/kWh. But I'm on my second set of Ecopias. What was your energy economy?

Btw, I finally got Leaf Spy installed. Can someone please clarify what Hx reading represents?

See other response for the Hx remark

With the Michelins I was able to get about 4.2 miles/kWh maximum.

I saved the "old" ecopias and put them back on when I returned the car.
The last 4 days I averaged about 4.9 miles/kWh with those tires and I really didn't even try to be very economical to be honest.

I exchanged the tires on the 29th:
nissanleaf_tires_exchanged_28th.png

what is the login for that? is it the same as carwings or completely different registration?

wow the rav4 is nice looking but holy crap $50,000 car!!!

what I would do for that 41kw battery in my leaf! that is precisely what it needs and likely precisely why the rav4 is $50,000. Grrrrrrr

It must be heavy as crap to only get 103 miles with such a large battery.

figured it out. already had an account. interestingly it only has data for the first 4 days I had the car......

nerys said:
what is the login for that? is it the same as carwings or completely different registration?

wow the rav4 is nice looking but holy crap $50,000 car!!!

what I would do for that 41kw battery in my leaf! that is precisely what it needs and likely precisely why the rav4 is $50,000. Grrrrrrr

It must be heavy as crap to only get 103 miles with such a large battery.
I have done a 161miles ride 3 times already with a 3200' climb on the I5 from LA north known as the grapevine and back.
First time i had 3 miles left, second time 6, third time 9 miles left, on a full charge.
After 3 years lease, including residual buy out, my rav4ev will have cost me about $36k
Me and my wife like it so much we leased a second rav4ev.
After 5 months 6400 miles on the first one.
I am pretty sure leaf gen3 will go even further, maybe even with batteries from the Tesla gigafactory!
One thing is for sure, i want to drive electric whenever possible!
And the leaf started it ;-)

how in the world are you getting it for $36k? residual buyout? Does that mean you BUY the car at end of lease?

it says on the site its $49,800 ??? what am I missing?

I can't afford $36k either so it does not financially matter to me but I am curious.

unless you have some healthy tax credits (that I would never qualify for don't earn enough) ???

Just curious. I have DROOLED over the original NIMH powered rav4EV

I still think NIMH would be the better choice until lithium comes down in price and gets better longevity but GM made sure we would never get that. :-(

nerys said:
how in the world are you getting it for $36k? residual buyout? Does that mean you BUY the car at end of lease?

it says on the site its $49,800 ??? what am I missing?

I can't afford $36k either so it does not financially matter to me but I am curious.

unless you have some healthy tax credits (that I would never qualify for don't earn enough) ???

Just curious. I have DROOLED over the original NIMH powered rav4EV

I still think NIMH would be the better choice until lithium comes down in price and gets better longevity but GM made sure we would never get that. :-(

Go to http://www.myrav4ev.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; forum
There is a $17.500 lease incentive from toyota at the moment
0% finance 36 months
I sold my 2001 corvette z06 that i had for 8 years (past my midlife crisis)
Did downpayment of $9955
Lease is now $220 a month next 35 times.

WOW. $220 a month I can afford $10k down I can not. Ouch.

what does $17,500 leasing incentive mean?

in reality your paying $500 a month. you just paid $10k of it up front.

how does this result in you getting the car for $36k total ??

boy though in 2 or 3 yeas a used rav4 might be a serious option for me as with a 160 mile range even if I lose HALF that to climate control and degradation over time that still leaves me with 80 miles. PLENTY.

nerys said:

9955 down
35 times 220 ( i think it is 217)
Residual $19k
Look at the rav4 forum for more examples of leases.
With no money down lease $475 a month plus tax for unlimited miles

17500 lease cash is like Toyota making a down payment and Ca gives $2,500 so $20,000 total credit puts the car at $30,000.
Add sales tax, license, 0% lease fees and you are close to $36k effective out the door.

Or 35 payments of ~$525 =$18,375 + $~19,000 residual - $2500 CA = $34,875.

Either way it is not $50,000.

Only a few left, production has ended, good luck.

fromport said:
nerys said:

9955 down
35 times 220 ( i think it is 217)
Residual $19k
Look at the rav4 forum for more examples of leases.
With no money down lease $475 a month plus tax for unlimited miles
Hope you don't total it! You probably lose your down payment...read the fine print!
Never pay a down payment with a lease.

bbrowncods said:
Hope you don't total it! You probably lose your down payment...read the fine print!
Never pay a down payment with a lease.

I agree 100%

But I am also looking to buy a house
For every $100 car payment they want $300 income.
What is more important:
loose your downpayment in case of a crash
or being able to buy a home, put solar on the roof etc etc.

I made a choice.
I actually have 2 rav4ev's now, also one for the ms. She drives less than 5000 miles a year, thats the one we put a downpayment on. I am taking a gamble, I know. But it is a calculated gamble.

Back