Rise of Clean Electric Trucks and Schoolbuses!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafetarian

The other day I heard an interesting program on NPR about electric
trucks being built in NY.

NPR Cartalk has an interesting article on large cost savings with
electric truck fleets as studied by MIT:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/electric-frito-and-coca-cola-trucks-bottom-line-dollars-and-cents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Electric Frito and Coca-Cola Trucks: The Bottom Line in Dollars and
Cents)

nice article but have to take GREAT issue with their math. its hard to imagine a 7-11% savings per mile over diesel. they stated .8 kw/mile or 1.25 mils/kw ok, its a big heavy square box on wheels full of chips and soda which can be heavy. so efficient not.

but comparing a 10 mpg diesel at the bargain rate of $4 per gallon of diesel... its simply another article written by non technical people who barely have a grasp of what an EV is.

they also talk about charging issues where what if a L2 was installed at every delivery point? it is pretty much the same route over and over?

but either way, they state "no unexpected maintenance issues" which meant what?? that maintenance on the 10 mpg diesels were added into that savings # above? i think not. but figuring electricity, i have to say it appears to be at least 3 times more than what i am paying

Back