Running the AC while parked

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

A couple things I'm looking forward to here in sunny S FL:

1) Pre-cooling capability (both while connected to the power supply and not)

2) Ability to run the AC while parked. You know those times when you need to run into the store for something, but your wife says "I'll just wait here". We won't run the engine because I think it's irresponsible to run a 250hp engine to power an AC compressor, but you sure see a lot of people who do and for extended periods of time.

Are current owners finding these features useful?

LTLFTcomposite said:
A couple things I'm looking forward to here in sunny S FL:

2) Ability to run the AC while parked. You know those times when you need to run into the store for something, but your wife says "I'll just wait here". We won't run the engine because I think it's irresponsible to run a 250hp engine to power an AC compressor, but you sure see a lot of people who do and for extended periods of time.

Greetings from sub-tropical Houston. I've often left others in the Leaf with the AC running while I quickly dash into the store for something. My "unnecessary consumption" guilt quotient is very low.

It would be great if there was a way to exit the vehicle with the AC still on, but not allow the vehicle to be taken out of park.

For instance, I want to leave my friends in the car while I step into the store to grab something. I don't want them to drive off, so the key fob is going with me. I don't really want to have to shut off the car, open the iPhone app, client start climate control, etc.

I just want a "pause" button that leaves the AC on but makes the car stay parked with the parking brake on.

Then when I get back, I hit power, and we rock and roll.

PhatBoyG said:
It would be great if there was a way to exit the vehicle with the AC still on, but not allow the vehicle to be taken out of park.

For instance, I want to leave my friends in the car while I step into the store to grab something. I don't want them to drive off, so the key fob is going with me. I don't really want to have to shut off the car, open the iPhone app, client start climate control, etc.

I just want a "pause" button that leaves the AC on but makes the car stay parked with the parking brake on.

Then when I get back, I hit power, and we rock and roll.
You can turn the AC on when the car is off via the iPhone app or Carwings internet page

PhatBoyG said:
I want to leave my friends in the car while I step into the store to grab something. I don't want them to drive off, so the key fob is going with me.

If you leave the car on, and step out with the key FOB, it will still drive off. They won't be able to restart it should it be turned off.

What if you turn the car off, then turn it to accessory (push the power button twice without stepping on the brake) then take our key fob inside. Doesn't that do what you want? I haven't tried it specifically, but I think that would make it so that AC will run, but they can't actually turn the car on and drive away since you have the fob.

Am I the only one with the nerve to question PhatBoy's choice of friends? Apparently grand theft and getting pranked is a subtle distinction.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Am I the only one with the nerve to question PhatBoy's choice of friends? Apparently grand theft and getting pranked is a subtle distinction.

It does seem a bit odd... but, when I run in, I just leave the LEAF running (the car will beep three times to let you know that you have the key outside the car) and SET THE PARKING BRAKE.

I'm not concerned with my kids stealing the car, but I prefer that there not be some kind of accident.

Also, with the car in ACC mode, I noticed that the air conditioning was not as cold as ON. I suspect that it goes to the 25C/75F default setting in ACC.

LTLFTcomposite said:
2) Ability to run the AC while parked. <snip>
#1 Yes, although I still am not in the habit of remembering until I'm already in the parking lot. I'm hoping now with the Android app out that at least it will take me a little less time to do it.

#2 Definitely. I would never leave an ICE car running just to keep the AC running because it just seems like a waste. Just a few weeks ago I had a niece in the car - fast asleep. Normally I would have just woken her up, but since we were in the Leaf and I was making a brief stop at a friend's house I left the car on in his carport with the AC running.

blorg said:
What if you turn the car off, then turn it to accessory (push the power button twice without stepping on the brake) then take our key fob inside.
Nope - AC light will be lit but you'll notice rather quickly that the AC is not actually on.

JasonT said:
blorg said:
What if you turn the car off, then turn it to accessory (push the power button twice without stepping on the brake) then take our key fob inside.
Nope - AC light will be lit but you'll notice rather quickly that the AC is not actually on.
Really? I could have sworn I'd had the AC running in accessory only mode before with the car turned off. However, I was still inside the car with the key and the car was connected to the EVSE. But I didn't think that would have mattered.

I guess I'll try it out to confirm which way it is. Edit: "I just tried it out and Jason is right. If car is not on, in accessory mode, without being connected to a charge station, AC system may appear to be on with the light and fan running, but there's no cooling. The car has to be ON for cooling to work.

Same situation but if you're connected to a charge station, then AC cooling works OK."

For all the wiseacres, there are very sensible reasons for wanting to run the AC in a locked parked car. Here in Arizona when I travel with my dog, I do not want him to suffer while I stop off to eat.

I also love to lock the car with the AC on for my dogs while at the gym. I also put a sign in the back window explaining that the AC system is on @ 72 degrees & not to call the authorities.

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
I also love to lock the car with the AC on for my dogs while at the gym. I also put a sign in the back window explaining that the AC system is on @ 72 degrees & not to call the authorities.

Be careful if you use the phone app to turn on the climate system. I think that feature to turn on the temp control system remotely only turns it on for a limited time (say like 15 minutes). So I don't think you want to count on that to keep your car occupants comfortable for an extended period of time.

LTLFTcomposite said:

For me, I believe the pre-cooling is a waste of energy. I tried pre-cooling yesterday for almost 40 minutes while connected to the station (our garage), but not charging. When we entered the car, it was cool, but it only lasted a few secs and had to use the A/C right away plus it made no more savings on the energy screen. It works just as well to just turn it on as soon as we are in the car, as it puts out high cooling right away.
I do like to run the A/C while waiting with the car in 'P'.

LEAFfan said:
For me, I believe the pre-cooling is a waste of energy. I tried pre-cooling yesterday for almost 40 minutes while connected to the station (our garage), but not charging. When we entered the car, it was cool, but it only lasted a few secs and had to use the A/C right away plus it made no more savings on the energy screen. It works just as well to just turn it on as soon as we are in the car, as it puts out high cooling right away.

Yeah, but you live in AZ... it's a dry heat! :lol:

I wouldn't expect it to stay cool, but not being as hot as hell when I get in would be a plus.

For me, living in CA with a TOU meter, I feel a lot better precooling with off-peak power (i.e. from the battery) than peak power (from the EVSE). I can stand sitting in the car for a minute while it cools and I wait for my wife to appear.

Back on topic, yes, I have left the AC running several times while I dashed into a store and my wife stayed in the car. Her comfort is well worth the tiny cost in pennies and carbon emissions. I don't even bother with the parking brake; I just hit the park button and leave it in running mode.

Ray

LEAFfan said:
For me, I believe the pre-cooling is a waste of energy. I tried pre-cooling yesterday for almost 40 minutes while connected to the station (our garage), but not charging.
Uh, doesn't pre-cooling/heating only run for about 15 minutes before it shuts off? So if you waited 40 minutes the car was likely warming up again.

drees said:
LEAFfan said:
For me, I believe the pre-cooling is a waste of energy. I tried pre-cooling yesterday for almost 40 minutes while connected to the station (our garage), but not charging.
Uh, doesn't pre-cooling/heating only run for about 15 minutes before it shuts off? So if you waited 40 minutes the car was likely warming up again.
In sunny San Diego with our recent 80 degree weather, I pre-cool the car an hour before I leave work while its plugged into a 110V outlet. One minute before I leave, I turn it off, unplug from the wall and start my journey to the parking lot. I have never seen it turn off by itself.

astralfish said:
drees said:
LEAFfan said:
In sunny San Diego with our recent 80 degree weather, I pre-cool the car an hour before I leave work while its plugged into a 110V outlet. One minute before I leave, I turn it off, unplug from the wall and start my journey to the parking lot. I have never seen it turn off by itself.
Found it. It will run up to 2 hours when plugged in and 15 minutes when not plugged in.

LEAFfan said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I don't know about you, but here in Texas it makes a huge difference. Not being able to pre-cool my car cost me about 8% of my battery in the morning and about 15% in the afternoon (at 105 degrees). Even when it doesn't "feel" cool inside and even when the AC kicks in immediately, the AC doesn't have to work for very long until it goes to mimial usage. Without it, especially in the afternoon, the AC runs a long time before it gets to the set temperature (84 in the afternoons). Not being able to pre-cool hits my range a bit so I always need to adjust my range. In fact, it makes such a difference that making multiple stops/errands allows the car to heat back up and cost even more battery.

Back