Sacramento area meeting at Nissan facility

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question: why does the battery heater begin warming the cells at -4F (it warms them to 14F) when the owners manual indicates reduced charging capacity below 32F and reduced battery performance below 14F

this is directly from the owners manual:
The Li-ion battery heater helps to prevent the Liion
battery from freezing and helps to prevent
significant reductions in the Li-ion battery output
when the temperature is cold. The Li-ion battery
heater automatically turns on when the Li-ion
battery temperature is approximately -4F
(-20C) or colder. The Li-ion battery heater
automatically turns off when the Li-ion battery
temperture is approximately 14F (-10C) or
higher.
The Li-ion battery heater uses electrical power
from an external source when a charger is
connected to the vehicle. The Li-ion battery
heater uses electrical power from the Li-ion
battery when the charger is not connected to the
vehicle.
Why not have the battery heater maintain batt temp above 14F when plugged in?
And so is this:
When the ambient temperature is 32F
(0C) or less, charging time may be
longer than normal and the level to
which the Li-ion battery can be charged
may be less than at higher temperatures

At a start up temp of -4F most in the USA will never see any benefit from the system
why not have the system fire up at 14f if the car is connected to an EVSE?

why make a system standard in the USA when almost no one will see conditions where it will activate and benefit the user?

I will attend, limping in after 79 miles of freeway driving with no room to get lost. Please reserve the 10:30 AM to 11AM time slot for me to quick charge.

Phoenix said:
I will attend, limping in after 79 miles of freeway driving with no room to get lost. Please reserve the 10:30 AM to 11AM time slot for me to quick charge.

Drive slowly! I would not feel comfortable doing 79 miles even at 65mph... maybe OK at 60mph. However if you've done it before then great.

We are coming from Walnut Creek (71 miles) and would like to use the DC Quick Charger at say 10:00 AM or 12:00 noon. Is someone keeping a reservations sheet?
Is someone collecting questions we want to give to the Nissan engineer in advance of the meeting. They often like to know in advance.
Thanks.

Hello,
just a reminder about the upcoming Saturday event. All evs are welcome.
Bring a chair and a couple of donuts.
Should be exiting.

--
a special delight:
next regional ev meeting on Saturday, 22 October at 10 am.
at
Nissan Technical Center N.A.—California Fuel Cell Partnership
3300 Industrial Blvd., West Sacramento, California 95691

all evs are invited

- it will be mostly a Q&A with Nissan engineer
so bring all your unanswered questions, suggestions etc.

QC is available - coming up on Thursday - if anything changes please let me know.
If you want to send me your questions per email - I will forward
sorry, no reservation sheet for QC possible, we will do our best that there is no revolt ;)

I am unable to attend this meeting but would like to find out what are the access rules for the QC. or is it available just for this meeting?

New, off the press!
The Vacaville QC will be available on this Saturday (22 October) for Leafs going to the West Sacramento event from 7:30 to 9:30. Please share and don't fight over it.
A PG&E rep will be there.

eMaS said:
New, off the press!
The Vacaville QC will be available on this Saturday (22 October) for Leafs going to the West Sacramento event from 7:30 to 9:30. Please share and don't fight over it.
I assume this a temporary courtesy? :?

eMaS said:
New, off the press!
Is this a For-sure? This might make/break a trip. And only 2 hours?

-Phil

surfingslovak said:
It looks like several of us will make the trip from the Bay Area. Any interest in carpooling?
I haven't decided yet. I'm definitely interested in the QC process, so I may only make it as far as Vacaville if this QC station is actually open!

-Phil

Vivek from PG&E will be there and it is only open for this time (7:30 to 9:30 am) period. This is still the old Tepco unit and it is temperamental. It will only be available for cars going to the West Sac event.
So please let the cars that want to come up to the event have preference. But maybe hardly anyone shows up, that is a different case - we will see.

I will be bringing my van with a 237 kWh pack to get a free charge. Be there at 7:29. I need to be ready for the new E9 rates and I hope this is not an issue for anyone.

surfingslovak said:
It looks like several of us will make the trip from the Bay Area. Any interest in carpooling?
Yes, I'm planning on taking my 2002 Prius or joining someone's carpool.

I did South San Jose to Sacramento (120 miles, 17 miles remaining) in a single charge in my EV1 some years ago, so I've done my proof of concept run! Besides the QC's are going to be busy, so I'll leave those for others who are going to LEAF it. I do hope someone will let me plug their LEAF into the QC! :)

EVDRIVER said:
I will be bringing my van with a 237 kWh pack to get a free charge. Be there at 7:29. I need to be ready for the new E9 rates and I hope this is not an issue for anyone.
Get out of town!! Literally!!! :shock: :lol: So, let's see - that's one van with 10 LEAFs in it at 24 kWh each... :D What model van is it and chemistry is the pack? It's ChaDemo capable...??? I'm checking my calendar, hmmm... it's not 4/1/2012.

It's an EV Love van and the Chademo works better the mo I use it. I have 600 dewalt packs in series I bought at a liquidation auction. It has three train horns that run off a compressor powered by the pack. The van gets 50 wh/mile with the horns and stereo on full. I am installing a coast bar on the steering wheel so I can get and additional .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 wh/mile!

There are a whole bunch of J1772 chargers now available too in Vacaville

95687_4

Leisure Town Road
Park and Ride

Leisure Town Rd & Orange Dr.

Vacaville

Y

95687_5

Leisure Town Center

100 Sequoia Drive

Vacaville

Y

95688_1

Vacaville Regional Transp.
Ctr (VRTC - Park and Ride)

Hickory Ln. And Davis St.

Vacaville

Y

95688_4

KUIC parking lot

500 Catherine St. (corner of Davis St.)

Vacaville

Y

95687_1

Vacaville Ulatis
Cultural Center

1000 Ulatis Drive

Vacaville

Y

95687_6

Vacaville Bella Vista Road
Park and Ride Lot

Bella Vista Road at I-80

Vacaville

Y

95688_3

Stars Recreation Center

155 Browns Valley Parkway

Vacaville

Y

So shouldn't we at least propose a schedule for those wanting QC? Maybe a Google Spreadsheet? This will ensure people actually have a chance to make it from the farther areas.

I'd say we should make an initial sheet with name, desired charge time, and most importantly; total distance traveled. Then we sort by that. Those people travelling the farthest will get first crack at the "slots", then we go down the list filling them by distance.

Maybe we break the people coming from the south into 2 chunks because they can also use some charging at Vacaville.

Sound workable?

-P

I have no objections.
If someone wants to get it started for Vacaville that would be great.
I do see some challenges however - what happens if someone is late etc. - does nobody get to charge then?
Or someone didn't check this list anymore?
I think we are all adults and should manage to find a solution.
And a QC should only happen once a day.
If I remember correctly there should be about 4 J1772s at that location

Back