SAE J1772 "Combo Connector"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping a Mod will help keep this one flame/troll free. I'm going to change this to technical aspects only.

So my initial thoughts:

Pros. Single connector is good. I think using BoPL is probably a better idea than CANbus, it's much more tolerant of power line type noise that will be in the cable and should be very resilient.

Cons. I worry about the latch being on the top of such a long connector, it means there will be a lot of wiggle room at the bottom of the connector where the DC pins are. The power capacity is low(50A 480Vdc IIRC) and doesn't leave a lot of room for future expansion.

pii100 said:
So my initial thoughts:

Pros. Single connector is good. I think using BoPL is probably a better idea than CANbus, it's much more tolerant of power line type noise that will be in the cable and should be very resilient.

Cons. I worry about the latch being on the top of such a long connector, it means there will be a lot of wiggle room at the bottom of the connector where the DC pins are. The power capacity is low(50A 480Vdc IIRC) and doesn't leave a lot of room for future expansion.
All right, I'll bite.

1. CANbus is designed for noisy automotive environments. I can't imagine that BoPL could conceivably be "better" in that respect. Any benefits to BoPL would be in the fact that it's a network style packet based protocol, which would lend it to being "routed" over the power lines for smart grid applications...but you could do that equally well with the car talking CANbus, and the charger shuffling the info to/from the grid.

2. I'm quite sure that the examples we've seen are not the final SAE designs, and any instability in the locking mechanism (assuming there really is) would HAVE to be addressed before there's any prayer of it getting SAE approval, much less UL.

3. My understanding is that the SAE proposal is supposed to support 200a. There's no way they would deliver a standard that had less capability than what CHAdeMO is offering now.

davewill said:
3. My understanding is that the SAE proposal is supposed to support 200a. There's no way they would deliver a standard that had less capability than what CHAdeMO is offering now.

ChadeMo output is between 200 VDC - 450 VDC, 200 amps max. However, the Yazaki connector plug that is common on first generation ChadeMo's is rated at max 125 amps.

Blink DC Fast Charger Specifications
Maximum Output Power 60 kW Max (Setting Adjustable 30kW - 60 kW)
Maximum Output Current 200 Amps
Minimum Output Current 5 Amps
Output Voltage 200 VDC - 450 VDC
Input Voltage 208/380/400/480/575 VAC 3-Phase
Frequency 50/60 Hz
Input Current 200 Amps at 208 VAC
89 Amps at 480 VAC
74 Amps at 575 VAC
Connector/Cable Yazaki-CHAdeMO compliant 120A rated
Cable Length 12 feet (estimated)
Charging Station Dimensions 52" W x 98" H x 15" D
Charging Station Weight 450 lbs
GPU Exterior Dimensions 47" W x 69" H x 30" D
GPU Weight 1474 lbs
Temperature Rating -4° F (-20° C) to +122° F (+50° C)
Enclosure NEMA Type 3R; sun-and-heat-resistant
Charge Control CHAdeMO compliant
Efficiency 90% or greater
Power Factor .9 or better
Charge Ports 2

Bullet pointed the points via Ashley and removed some of the other stuff that didn't seem to fit the OPs requested purpose. Hope that is OK.

Via: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=202244#p202244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Submitted by Ashley Abraham on Sat, 05/26/2012 - 08:36.
The work done by the SAE and ACEA and the progress made in TEC (Trans-Atlantic Economic Cooperation) is focused on the vehicle inlet side involving:
  • an "envelope" solution capable of supporting single phase AC, three phase AC and D[C] charging.
  • It is recognised that the electricity system between Europe and the US is quite different, but the joint ACEA/SAE solution caters for both.
  • There are a number of advantages of the Combo plug over CHAdeMO with the most obvious being AC support up to 43kW and ultra fast DC charging.
  • But there is also the introduction of advanced communication functionality including smart grid integration
  • plus the opportunity to implement additional IP based services.
  • The Combo plug (without any spin) simply integrates AC and DC charging using one combined inlet, one charge protocol, one implementation of charging communication and one electric architecture for charging. I do not oppose CHAdeMO, but Combo is clearly the evolution of EV charging with broader support by way of AC, DC fast AC, ultra fast DC etc and economies by hosting just one vehicle inlet.
  • As for Mennekes, this plus will be replaced on the vehicle inlet side but will continue for the foreseeable future as the plug for AC charging on the side of AC charging stations, so there is no contradiction with this. Unlike CHAdeMO it will work with Combo.

Thanks Scott I completely missed that post in the other thread.

200A sounds a lot more reasonable. Was I correct on the SAE voltage being up to 480Vdc?

Thanks for biting, I would be bored without stimulating conversation. Having not worked on automotive circuits I find it hard to believe there is more noise on the isolated CANbus lines than there is on common AC power what with transmission lines between you and the transformer acting like a giant antenna. I do know those ignition systems throw off a lot of RF. Not to mention that OFDM itself is more resilient transmission method than a NRZ signal in general(for fun look up conditioned diphase). Sticking with CANbus does have the advantage of using a protocol common to the automotive industry. Although I would hope the charger to vehicle is a separate bus. If not i would think there might be some security questions. Anyone know if its separate on the leaf?

davewill said:
CANbus is designed for noisy automotive environments
Indeed. It uses differential signaling to cancel common mode noise. What the heck does that mean? Maybe a picture will help (thanks wikipedia!):

800px-DiffSignaling.png

I unfortunately do not know how power line carrier does noise rejection. My educated guess is that they use digital techniques borrowed from the RF world (such as forward error correction) to help...

If they would just reuse the AC pins for CAN (and copy the digital side of CHAdeMO!) on J1772-DC, I'd be a lot happier about it. :)

References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signaling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_error_correction

Jeremy

I'll paraphrase by saying OFDM has very robust error correction and noise rejection. Same encoding used in WiFi, DSL, and Bluetooth. You can only imagine how crowded and noisy the 2.4Ghz spectrum is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_frequency-division_multiplexing

Also I'm not sure if its even possible/practical to do NRZ signaling over lines carrying current, you would likely need a dedicated signalling channel.

Also saying they are using BoPL doesn't rule out using the CANbus message "protocol" for car to charger messaging. OFDM is just an encoding method for putting the bits on a wire. It just gets the bits from point A to B. IEEE 1901 only defines the encoding and media access protocol or local addressing method, you could easily put a frame with a CANbus message in it and have a standard address for Car and Charger.

I'm just now really starting to dive into the 1901 spec so please pardon any errors in what I have said.

a) Interesting background numbers from a presentation by: Jason D. Harper - Electrical Engineer - Argonne National Laboratory

Shows SAE Levels relative to each other.

How fast can a PEV be charged? (It depends)
The SAE DC charging standards current limits are most relevant. Delivered charging power is limited by vehicle's battery voltage- typically less than 400vdc.
  • SAE Level 1 DC limit is 80A at up to 450vdc
  • SAE Level 2 DC limit is 200A at up to 450vdc
  • SAE Level 3 DC limit is 400A at up to 600vdc
The miles per minute of charge rate is tied to the size of the vehicle. Using simple math of 4 miles/kWh, and a nominal battery voltage of 400v, results in the following:
  • Level 1 J1772-DC= 80*400=32kW*4=132 miles per hour of charging, or 132/60 minutes= 2.2 miles/minute
  • Level 2 J1772-DC= 200*400=80kW*4=320 miles per hour of charging, or 320/60 minutes= 5.33 miles/minute
  • Level 3 J1772-DC= 400*400=160kW*4=640 miles per hour of charging, or 640/60 minutes= 10.66 miles/minute
The broad answer is "It depends", and above are some examples of the typical parameters (4 miles/kWh, ~400vdc battery).

b) Article: SAE International Electric Vehicle Connector Standard Gains Momentum
http://www.qualitydigest.com/inside/quality-insider-news/sae-international-electric-vehicle-connector-standard-gains-momentum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vehicles using this coupler could be capable of being charged at
  • 12 amps—from a regular 110 VAC wall outlet (1.4 kW),
  • up to 80 amps at 240 VAC (19.2 kW) or
  • up to 200 amps—200 to 450 VDC 90 kW DC.

pii100 said:
Yes, that is the presentation. Our EV club was invited to a IEEE meeting where it was presented. Those other presentations you found are great as well. Wow there are a ton of considerations in standards beyond the most basic flow watts-->battery. Pokrzywa-ANSI-EDV-0411 one talks about the harmonization (envelope) of the J1772 Combo.

OK, I guess you can color me confused on the SAE proposal.

I see five different charge levels, and two (three?) different connectors. Right? The charge levels are (please forgive the table formatting, it's probably wrong):
Code:
Level name       Voltage    Current     kWattage    Supply
AC Level 1       120VAC       6-12     .7-1.4       15A
AC Level 2       208-240VAC   6-80     1.2-19       20A,40A, <100A
DC Level 1       200-450VDC    6-80    1.2-36      <200A?
DC Level 2       200-450VDC   80-200   16-90       100-550A?
DC Level 3       200-450VDC   200-400  40-180      250-1100A?
The connectors are our familiar J-1772, the J-1772 Combo (which seems to do 200A if I'm reading the pressers right), and some super beefy 400A J-1772 thingie, as yet undisclosed.

So that means each connector handles:
Code:
Connector   AC L1    AC L2    DC L1    DC L2    DC l3
J-1772       X         X
Combo        X         X        X       X
Mongo        ?         ?        ?       ?         X
We can see why the basic connector handles AC L1 and L2. Different AC voltages, but otherwise L1 is a sub-set of L2. And since the combo connector contains a basic connector, it adds DC L1 and L2 to AC L1 and L2. Fine. And I'm not going to even *try* and guess what the Mongo 400A connector is (and I think it's moot for this discussion anyway).

But why would DC L1 require the Combo connector? Unless they do something crazy with the insulation, the voltage can be handled by the basic connector pins. And the basic connector already (conveniently) handles the same 80 amps that DC L1 happens to require (according to wikipedia). If DC L1 also requires the same connector as DC L2 (and already has the same voltages) then there's no difference between DC L1 and DC L2. It's just 200-450VDC@6-200A.

But what if the DC L1 requirement really is satisfied by the regular old everyday basic J-1772 connector? That would mean any DC charger of 80 amps or less (apparently not a "fast" charger, just a "pretty quick but not quite fast" charger) could use the basic port. And cars configured for <80A DC charging wouldn't need the combo connector port at all. Since there's probably a big infrastructure break between needing 100-200A@240V and 200-500A, it would make the "kinda fast DC chargers" cheaper too.

What sort of cars don't need 40-90kW charging? PHEVs, for one. I don't see a need for a PHEV to have bigger than a 20kWh battery (until you get a Hummer PHEV, and even then...). If a 400V 20 kWh PHEV battery can be charged from empty to full (keeping in mind the PHEVs bigger battery guard margins) in right about half an hour at 80 amps, what in the world would a PHEV do with a 200A 90kW feed? Charge at 4.5C in 10 minutes or so? Expensive, and hard on the battery.

So question, since this is the Leaf forum and all. Would the Leaf benefit from having lower priced "kinda fast" DC charging available using it's current J-1772 connector? Would that fill a sufficient need niche to mitigate the combo connector's perceived weaknesses? How long would it take to charge an empty Leaf (or a Ford Focus, or other like sized EV) to 80% at 30 kW (or so)?

As a PHEV owner, I don't have a lot of love for the Combo connector either. But a DC basic connector sure has some real appeal...

Rusty said:
Would the Leaf benefit from having lower priced "kinda fast" DC charging available using it's current J-1772 connector? Would that fill a sufficient need niche to mitigate the combo connector's perceived weaknesses? How long would it take to charge an empty Leaf (or a Ford Focus, or other like sized EV) to 80% at 30 kW (or so)?

Good summary and breakdown of the many variables. You left out the variables for Mennekes and AC 43kW charging, and whatever other Euro specific modifications there will be.

I believe the LEAF would do just fine side by side with the proposed SAE combo and ChadeMo, and would probably be easy to implement, since there's already a J1772, and I think, enough room for the two DC pins of the proposed SAE combo. To me, that's advantage ChadeMo cars, because I'm convinced that GM / BMW will not use ChadeMo under any circumstance. They would use NO fast charging, or a gas burner hybrid option first.

I doubt we'll see a High-Voltage (~400v) DC charge system being implemented using the same AC pins as found in a standard J1772 connector, but it's possible.

Also despite SAE claiming high-power capability, not all EV's will be able to use it. For instance, if Nissan were to put it on the current Leaf, it will still be limited to the ~50kW power level simply because the battery pack doesn't have active thermal management and likely would not be good for it to be charged at higher rates. (>4C)

-Phil

What is the maximum Amps rating for the J1772 L1/L2 socket that is currently in use in the LEAF?

Even with a 6.x kW charger in the LEAF, and more-capable wiring, the Socket probably limits the AC charging to 30 amps, right?

Back