SAE J1772 "Combo Connector"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
I doubt we'll see a High-Voltage (~400v) DC charge system being implemented using the same AC pins as found in a standard J1772 connector, but it's possible.
It would be at odds with using the power line comms over those same pins, and since J1772 doesn't have any other comm pins, they'd be pretty stuck.

Ingineer said:
Well, that's not a problem. The original J1772 spec called for comms over the Pilot line.
and
I doubt we'll see a High-Voltage (~400v) DC charge system being implemented using the same AC pins as found in a standard J1772 connector
I'm then again curious. If it's not comms (not that I can think of any problems with HF modulated over a DC signal), what's the problem with sharing the AC pins with DC L1?

Rusty said:
Ingineer said:
Well, that's not a problem. The original J1772 spec called for comms over the Pilot line.
and
I doubt we'll see a High-Voltage (~400v) DC charge system being implemented using the same AC pins as found in a standard J1772 connector
I'm then again curious. If it's not comms (not that I can think of any problems with HF modulated over a DC signal), what's the problem with sharing the AC pins with DC L1?
There's no technical problem whatsoever. In fact the original SAE J1772 standard provided for it. I suspect with the new "Frankenplug" offering there's no POLITICAL way they'll do it.

-Phil

I can think of a downside to using the existing L1 and L2/neutral pins to also do DC L1, you would need a pretty beefy DPDT relay (50A minimum on the leaf?) in the EV to alternate between the on-board charger and the battery bus. That could replace DC contractor but doing so might pose a safety issue? Thoughts on this?

Hey Phil and Gary thought this thread didn't feel the same without you guys chiming in to fill in my extensive gaps in knowledge.

Also the I believe new spec allows for the PLC communication to happen over the existing pilot or the DC lines but I think most favor using the pilot. Using the pilot places some constraints on the bit rate the PLC can operate at since it cant mess with the pilot signal too much. The more I read about the PLC the better I feel about it. Being able to bridge CAN, RS232, RS485, and IP it should be sufficient to do more than just charging info.

Back