Santa Monica parking enforcement are idiots

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malloryk

malloryk said:
wanted to give an updated on the parking ticket I received in Santa Monica in Aug. I had the hearing today. It was informal and very quick, over in less than 5 minutes. I brought pictures of the stickers on my car and that's what she wanted to see. She said that she is required to give her decision in 10 days in writing but wanted to let me know that she would be reversing my citation and refunding my $53. Justice! And she said not all the officers are aware and if I get another ticket, just send pics in of my stickers.

well it happened again this morning. Got another ticket at a meter in Santa Monica on Montana Ave. Reason given: hybrid not exempt. Sacre bleau, calling my car a hybrid!!! I don't know if there's some kind of target on my car or maybe I just have incredibly bad parking karma. When I left, I drove past 8 other Leafs parked along Montana (I did notice that one of them also had a ticket on their windshield).

That's crazy, Mallory! What a waste of time and energy for you, and even for the City. At this point, I'd be thinking of making signs to put in the windows of my car saying "Don't ticket me, I'm ELECTRIC, not a hybrid!!!"

Boomer23 said:
I'd be thinking of making signs to put in the windows of my car saying "Don't ticket me, I'm ELECTRIC, not a hybrid!!!"

LOL that's exactly what I did. I have a printout of the "free parking in Santa Monica for EVs" page from the City's website in my car. I went someplace else and when I parked, I pulled it out and wrote on it "Parking enforcement, please read. My car is not a hybrid, it's electric. Please don't ticket me again." and put it on my windshield.

malloryk said:
I don't know if there's some kind of target on my car or maybe I just have incredibly bad parking karma. When I left, I drove past 8 other Leafs parked along Montana (I did notice that one of them also had a ticket on their windshield).
The cited revenue for parking tickets in Santa Monica is 12.5 million dollars. The whole shenanigan has been co-opted by a private company that has captured the legal power of municipal status, and they act with impunity.

Warning: RANT!

I have two separate issues with this non responsive headless creature: 1) failure to credit a timely payment despite about an hour on the phone with my bank and their rep, and a mailing of the canceled check, and 2) a no front plate ticket where no one noticed the CHP authorization of correction, and the reduction of fine.

They really suck, and there is a class action lawsuit that now has the city attention.

There is no respect for anyone's time, and they seem to just send out form letters by a clerk who punches a button. For all I know, they scan the paperwork and it is done in a 3rd world country sweatshop.

Santa Monica has darksides, the massive noise and pollution of jets at the airport, and the out of control parking fine operations. My native city is rather two faced. Or how about the outdoor ice rink sanctioned by the city that runs on 24/7 CO2 spewing generator power to keep water frozen to skate on... Oh, they buy offsets, and have a couple of solar panels for the lights. What a load of bull!

The poor signage in Santa Monic Place EV parking often keeps the spaces clogged with ICE cars, and thats easy hunting grounds too for the not too observant, which many of us are...

Just look at the street on sweeper days... The often old and beat cars getting tickets are clearly not wealthy. A fine of $64 is a big hit for them. Plus they have traps. Street sweeping in commercial zones at night, every day of the week, or if it's a wed, the sign notes Thu, but of course, at midnight roll over, here comes your ticket. Metered spaces where you put in coins and don't realize a ticket will come as it's a sweeping day in the afternoon.

The parking enforcement is an example when a private company captures the government and abuses the power and acts with impunity. Brings out my right wing side for sure... An oppressive and crony government is abhorrent.

JimSouCal said:
The parking enforcement is an example when a private company captures the government and abuses the power and acts with impunity. Brings out my right wing side for sure...
It's the right wing that likes contracting government functions out...

davewill said:
JimSouCal said:
The parking enforcement is an example when a private company captures the government and abuses the power and acts with impunity. Brings out my right wing side for sure...
Point noted--you may be right. Well, more like the wrong wing: criminals, dirty bureaucrats, and banksters. In any case, the private sector is ready to feed at the government trough at all times. But I will say that capturing of government for corporate entitlements happens on the full political spectrum. Okay then, my libertarian side.

The parking ticket issue is one of unfairly targeting a certain group for revenue--those who must park on the public street most often--they'd try just as hard to avoid the sweeper for $20 bucks as compared to the $64 fine--as I mentioned some of the parking traps are very very predictable, and the meter maids exploit those spots.

Well, Deja Vu! I got a meter expired parking ticket today... I'll write a letter and send a pic of my EV parking permit. Can I send them a bill for the stamp, printing costs, and my time... When I make a mistake, I pay. When the city agent makes a mistake, do they pay? Oh, well...

^ What were the circumstances? In Santa Monica you're only entitled to free meter parking within the confines of the circumstances normally allowed. EG: a meter that allows 2 hours of paid parking...you're only allowed to park there free for two hours. Beyond that and you're subject to citation just as readily as an ICE vehicle that overstays.

mwalsh said:
^ What were the circumstances? In Santa Monica you're only entitled to free meter parking within the confines of the circumstances normally allowed. EG: a meter that allows 2 hours of paid parking...you're only allowed to park there free for two hours. Beyond that and you're subject to citation just as readily as an ICE vehicle that overstays.
Thanks for the clarity, but it's 9 hour parking... Ticket Reads "expired meter", which the meter was, and I'm exempt from paying...

davewill said:
JimSouCal said:
when did the right wingers get control of Chicago?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/chicago-parking-meter-privatization" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://americablog.com/2013/09/privatization-driven-corruption-chicago-parking-meter-debacle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.streetsblog.org/2009/06/17/chicago-pays-the-price-for-parking-privatization/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, the inspector general's report concludes that, "If Chicago were to keep control of the parking-meter system and operate it under the same terms as the private company, the system would be worth approximately $2.13 billion (in present dollars)," or $974 million more than the city received.
Sounds like the city made a bad deal. Or did they? They got the cash up front, and somebody else now takes the risk of what the future value of the system is. If the system is worth $2.13B why would anyone pay that? To have the fun of running it? People don't understand investing, the idea is to buy things for less than you think they will be worth in the future.

75 years is a long time. We could all be teleporting by then.

Did you have your white sticker? You have to have it on technically to not pay for parking.

SM is pretty ridiculous though, my friend was ticketed for not having a front license plate.

I don't know what the law currently says but it used to be that you had to have the green and white ZEV sticker to get free parking... Of course, they stopped issuing those stickers a while ago...

billysnake said:
Did you have your white sticker? You have to have it on technically to not pay for parking.
SM is pretty ridiculous though, my friend was ticketed for not having a front license plate.

Have both the CA state issued parking permit and the car pool lane stickers. The parking agent just made a mistake. Wish I could fine the city.

On another note I've visited the official city page for filing an objection for the last 3 days, filled out the online form and the submission is rejected saying ticket number not found. If only I could bill for wasted time caused by the mistake. Small claims just for fun?

mwalsh said:
JimSouCal said:
Have both the CA state issued parking permit and the car pool lane stickers.

State issued parking permit is no longer valid anywhere. Not being argumentative...just trying to keep the misinformation to a minimum.
Humm, well, to be clear, that is the agency that issued the parking permit I've been using... So please clarify? It's a little white serialized square with green circular path type--to be displayed in the lower left of the rear window... While it applies to the city, the ZEV parking permit WAS issued by the state. So, what is correct...? I think I am but stand by... Here is the web page currently hosted by the city and you can see the pictures of all permits in discussion... Of course I have the HOV decals as well.

http://www.smgov.net/Departments/OSE/Categories/Transportation/Automobiles.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back