Servicing Requirements for Battery Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rojo

I'm looking at buying a 40kWh Leaf first registered in Jan 2021, but it's first service was not until October 2022 and then 0ctober 2023. I contacted Nissan via live chat to ask what the impact of not doing the first service at 12 months and they said it could void the battery warranty, but ultimately Nissans discretion....
Walk away or haggle on price? Is the warranty worth the paper it's written on? It's an independent garage.
Thoughts / opinions?

I'm watching for response.
I recently purchased a one owner low mileage 2018 and the Carfax was fantastic on it. The lady religiously brought it into the Nissan dealership that she bought it from and it showed annual inspection of the battery.
She also lived about 3 miles from the dealership because she hadn't removed her "Home" from the Navigation when she traded it in.

Anyways, so I take it to the Nissan dealership that's closest to my home and explain the history of the car and can I now have the annual battery procedure done with them?
I appreciate their honesty, of course, but they stated they no longer have an EV tech so they can't perform the procedure.

That's why I'm curious what response you get to your original question. :)
Worst case scenario for me is that I might have to visit a further Nissan dealership?

Assuming this is in the US, federal law prohibits companies from putting these types of conditions on warranties. Nissan can say that the warranty is void if you don't come in for the battery inspection, but that doesn't mean that it's true. The law would only allow a company to void a warranty claim in that situation if the company can show that the owner's failure to keep that condition is what led to the failure.

In fact, if you read the warranty wording, that's really what Nissan is saying:
You are required to perform annual EV Battery Usage Reports...
Any damage or failure resulting from a failure to have these required services performed, or
that could have been avoided had these services been performed, is not covered under warranty.

Since it's just a report, Nissan would never be able to show that failing to run a report caused a failure, and they'd be almost equally hard pressed to prove that some battery repair you're claiming later could have been avoided if you had run the report.

The fact is that Nissan has never denied a battery claim because this Usage Report was not done. Additionally, as of the 2023 LEAF, that wording is not even in the warranty booklet.

So, don't worry about it.

Rojo said:
I'm looking at buying a 40kWh Leaf first registered in Jan 2021, but it's first service was not until October 2022 and then 0ctober 2023. I contacted Nissan via live chat to ask what the impact of not doing the first service at 12 months and they said it could void the battery warranty, but ultimately Nissans discretion....
Walk away or haggle on price? Is the warranty worth the paper it's written on? It's an independent garage.
Thoughts / opinions?

Walk away. They’re already playing games and you don’t even have the car yet. Go to a different dealer.

Back