Set Charge Timer for peak/off-peak

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Hi. We have a Nissan Leaf 2014 and I'm having trouble getting the Charge Timer settings right for peak/off-peak charging.

What I really want is for the car to only charge during off-peak times 9pm-7am and 10am-4pm on weekdays and to charge anytime on weekends.

How do I set the timers to make this work?

The first issue seems to be that it is not possible to have two charging periods during a single day, as each day can only have Timer 1 OR Timer 2 set.

If I can only set one timer then I'd rather ignore the morning peak time and have the timer set to charge anytime 9pm-4pm (i.e. through the night and then all the next day up until 4pm). I tried setting the timer to start at 9pm and end at 4pm but this doesn't seem to work the way intended - since the timing period goes over two different days I guess.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve what I want? Thanks in advance. Jeremy

We also have a 2014 Leaf. Here is an approach that I have used based on posts here.
Set the time I want the car charged by (i.e., the stop time) and let the computer figure out when to start the charge.
To use your example, you want the car charged by 7AM so set that as the stop time.
Unless your battery is very low, the charge start time will probably not be much before 9PM and thus most of your charging will occur during your off-peak period.

More commonly, I just start/stop the charge manually. Again, in your situation I would just plug the car in before I go to bed and unplug when I get up, which would confine charging to the overnight off-peak period.

Drew21 said:
We also have a 2014 Leaf. Here is an approach that I have used based on posts here.
Set the time I want the car charged by (i.e., the stop time) and let the computer figure out when to start the charge.
To use your example, you want the car charged by 7AM so set that as the stop time.
Unless your battery is very low, the charge start time will probably not be much before 9PM and thus most of your charging will occur during your off-peak period.

Ah, I see what you mean. That could be a good option thanks!

To confirm: if I only set a stop time, the car will aim to have the battery charged by that time and won't start any earlier than necessary?

Also noting I can set the % of charge required to whatever I like (which will be 100% in our situation).

If you ignore the 10 AM to 4 PM off-peak zone, you can use both timers to setup off-peak charging week nights and all day weekends as follows (suggest start time 10 minutes after 9:00 PM and stop time 10 minutes before 7:00 AM to account for possible differences between car clock and meter clock):
Set Timer 1 to start at 9:10 PM and stop at 6:50 AM.
Set Timer 2 to start at 9:10 PM and stop at 9:10 PM.
Enable Timer 1 for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Enable Timer 2 for Friday and Saturday.

These timer settings will allow the car to charge between 9:10 PM and 6:50 AM on weekdays and all the time on Saturday and Sunday.

If you are home between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, you can override the timer to start charging, but will need to physically unplug the car before 4:00 PM to avoid peak charges.

If you prefer to let the car charge during the morning peak (7am to 10am), then change the stop time on Timer 1 to 3:50 PM instead of 6:50 AM. All other settings remain the same.

Ah, I see what you mean. That could be a good option thanks!

To confirm: if I only set a stop time, the car will aim to have the battery charged by that time and won't start any earlier than necessary?

Also noting I can set the % of charge required to whatever I like (which will be 100% in our situation).
I have the same problem and sure that is a solution but as they say why have a timer at all if that is what you have to do? I want to take advantage of Economy 7 (off Peak) Even got my son on the case and watched too many yourtube video as well. I even got up very early to watch the car and it still didn't work as expected. I will keep trying. Wonder if my Pod point is freaked by the timer :)

Back