SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are any of the BayLeafs considering going to the "First SF Bay Area Volt/EV Meet @ GM Advanced Tech Office – August 6, 2011" in Palo Alto? More info here: http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/sf-bay-area-volt-ev-meet-and-greet-gm-advanced-tech-office-august-6-2011

Here is also a link to the flyer for the event: http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/docs/sfevmeetupflyer.pdf

It seems to be mostly about GM and Volt but the invite says the event is open to all EV owners and enthusiasts. I think it would be kinda cool if more Leafs than Volts showed up to the event especially since its at GM ;)

I am still sorry I missed gathering #5 as I was feeling under the weather :(

Spies said:
Are any of the BayLeafs considering going to the "First SF Bay Area Volt/EV Meet @ GM Advanced Tech Office – August 6, 2011" in Palo Alto? More info here: http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/sf-bay-area-volt-ev-meet-and-greet-gm-advanced-tech-office-august-6-2011

Here is also a link to the flyer for the event: http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/docs/sfevmeetupflyer.pdf

It seems to be mostly about GM and Volt but the invite says the event is open to all EV owners and enthusiasts. I think it would be kinda cool if more Leafs than Volts showed up to the event especially since its at GM ;)

I am still sorry I missed gathering #5 as I was feeling under the weather :(
No worries, Spies. You've been to all the others and we don't expect each member to make every meeting. Otherwise, we'd need an auditorium!

The Volt event sounds like it would be fun--especially if there are some test/demo drives.

Gathering #6 is scheduled for August 13th on the Peninsula. We are looking for a suitable location that can hold 30-50 people for the indoor session, and with a parking lot that can promote personal interactions. Your help is urgently requested. We're currently pursuing local libraries (some charge for the facility) and restaurants. Good possibilities are:
1) Belmont Library (great facilities, but would charge $110 for 2 hours)
2) Redwood City Library (free, big room, but pay for parking after 10 AM. ($1 for 2 hours).
I have reserved both so far. There's also a large Hobee's nearby. Redwood City has 1 L2 charging dock and the RC parking garage (nearby) has two more. Make your opinions known--for now, we are considering Peninsula as anything North of Palo Alto.

Agenda items and volunteer discussion leaders are welcomed.

We'll be offering the horn upgrade installation clinic again at this meeting. If you are interested, be sure to pick up a set of FIAMM El Grande horns:
http://www.fiamm.com/linea.php?s=561&type=LINE&BU=84&LINE=110&APPL=127&Country=USA&Prod=997
We'll post a list of spare parts and tools needed (tools will be furnished for those that don't have them).

Also looking for a volunteer to organize the Mt Hamilton Drive that was discussed at Gathering #5.....

I'll post details as we firm them up, which hopefully will be within the next 2 weeks.

I expect that downtown Palo Alto will have at least 4 J1772 chargers before August 13th.

There will be two J1772 chargers on the A-level of Palo Alto City Hall garage, one or two J1772 chargers on level 2 of the Bryant St garage nearby, and one J1772 charger at the Alma/High St garage. Each of these J1772 chargers will be controlled by Coulombe and will also have a 5-15 (110V/15A plug) controlled by Coulombe.

Palo Alto City Hall will continue to have a Toyota SPI charger for RAV4 EVs, and there may still be one at the Bryant St garage.

There are also two J1772 chargers currently at the Stanford Shopping Center.

However, I'm not sure about a suitable meeting space nearby.

Either is OK with me if the $110 fee is split into small enough pieces (e.g. ~$2 a person), but that really sounds too steep. I realize now you are looking north of Palo Alto, but in the future you may want to consider Los Altos library. http://www.santaclaracountylib.org/losaltos/mtg_room.html I've used it before and it was perfect for a presentation to about 50 people, which is similar in size to our group, and only costs $10. The only real down side is that parking can be quite limited despite the large lots, because of all the other activities there (soccer games, senior center, Bus Barn theater rehearsals, etc.) but is usually plentiful at 10am Sat. morning. It has a free screen and overhead projector - the old style using transparencies, not computer output.

How about the Hiller Air Museum in San Carlos. Easy to get too, and has a meeting room with a projector meeting room. has
outlets and plenty of parking space just outside the museum.

**Gathering #6 is scheduled for August 13th on the Peninsula. We are looking for a suitable location that can hold 30-50 people for the indoor session, and with a parking lot that can promote personal interactions. Your help is urgently requested. We're currently pursuing local libraries (some charge for the facility) and restaurants. Good possibilities are:
1) Belmont Library (great facilities, but would charge $110 for 2 hours)
2) Redwood City Library (free, big room, but pay for parking after 10 AM. ($1 for 2 hours).
I have reserved both so far. There's also a large Hobee's nearby. Redwood City has 1 L2 charging dock and the RC parking garage (nearby) has two more. Make your opinions known--for now, we are considering Peninsula as anything North of Palo Alto.
-----------------

As close to SF (Bernal Hts.) as possible, so I can make it in a round trip without needing a charge. Looks like that would be Belmont, but I like free so Redwood City Library gets my vote.

I vote for Redwood city. Chargepoint just added an L1/L2 behind the library there.

pearlyleaf there are several Chargepoint charge stations around downtown Redwood city if you think you need a power boost. I live in Noe Valley, and just did the round trip to Redwood city and back w/out having to stop for a charge. So a very similar trip.

MaryC said:
I vote for Redwood city. Chargepoint just added an L1/L2 behind the library there.

pearlyleaf there are several Chargepoint charge stations around downtown Redwood city if you think you need a power boost. I live in Noe Valley, and just did the round trip to Redwood city and back w/out having to stop for a charge. So a very similar trip.

I was going to suggest San Carlos library, but it looks like the charging situation is far better in Redwood City, so I vote Redwood City.

I went to the Redwood City Library today to submit the application--definitely have the L2 EVSE in the back, and parking for at least 50 cars on the west side. Ample meeting room that allows food. Restaurants right across the street for those who want to grab a bite or a beer after the meeting. So we have both Belmont and Redwood City--keep the votes coming.

gascant said:
I went to the Redwood City Library today to submit the application--definitely have the L2 EVSE in the back, and parking for at least 50 cars on the west side. Ample meeting room that allows food. Restaurants right across the street for those who want to grab a bite or a beer after the meeting. So we have both Belmont and Redwood City--keep the votes coming.

I vote for the Redwood City Library. Is the "parking for at least 50 cars on the west side" open before the 10AM opening of the library?

linkim said:
gascant said:

I vote for the Redwood City Library. Is the "parking for at least 50 cars on the west side" open before the 10AM opening of the library?
Yes, it's a public parking lot and it has more than 50 spaces actually. That was just my quick guess. It may be closer to 65 or 70. There's another lot on the East side as well, but it's considerably smaller.

I was at gathering #4 and am trying to make #6. My vote is Redwood City as I'll need to stop for an hour's charge before I can make it that far from Santa Rosa, and once there I'll need a full charge from empty. (There are also ChargePoint stations in the pay garage just a block away from the library, in the complex with the movie theater.)

Topics: I'd like to see walkthru of Carwings, downloading a route from Google maps, setting up RSS feeds, and general Nav/Console features. Personally I find the UI of the Nav/Console terrible and get frustrated trying to do things I want to do: delete previous destinations as one example.

fiestatrio said:
I was at gathering #4 and am trying to make #6. My vote is Redwood City as I'll need to stop for an hour's charge before I can make it that far from Santa Rosa, and once there I'll need a full charge from empty. (There are also ChargePoint stations in the pay garage just a block away from the library, in the complex with the movie theater.)

Topics: I'd like to see walkthru of Carwings, downloading a route from Google maps, setting up RSS feeds, and general Nav/Console features. Personally I find the UI of the Nav/Console terrible and get frustrated trying to do things I want to do: delete previous destinations as one example.
A good place along your route is the Miller Ave parking garage in South San Francisco. It is just off 101 at Grant st exit.
Miller Avenue Parking
329 Miller Ave
South San Francisco,CA 94080

fiestatrio said:

A good place along your route is the Miller Ave parking garage in South San Francisco. It is just off 101 at Grant st exit.
Miller Avenue Parking
329 Miller Ave
South San Francisco,CA 94080 AND IT IS FREE PARKING AND CHARGING

For an agenda item I'd still like to have the EVSE issue addressed by someone knowledgeable, like an electrician, contractor, or engineer. I just got a quote for the Blink install at over $4700, more than the AV assessment quote even with the $1200 EV Project cost pickup. If not a presentation at the meeting, then at least could someone recommend a reliable, reasonably priced electrician (or three)? It seems to me there are several options to keep costs reasonable which all raise questions and I doubt I'm the only one with such questions.

Rat, there was a guy (Robert?) at the Boardwalk meeting who was giving out his business card as an installer for Blink systems. Several people at that meeting had their systems installed by him and all spoke highly. I don't have the card any longer; I gave it to my boss who had his Blink installed by the guy.

TEDMAC said:
fiestatrio said:

Miller Avenue Parking
329 Miller Ave
South San Francisco,CA 94080 AND IT IS FREE PARKING AND CHARGING
For any of these stations, be sure to have your ChargePoint card to activate them.
MsLusty said:
Rat, there was a guy (Robert?) at the Boardwalk meeting who was giving out his business card as an installer for Blink systems. Several people at that meeting had their systems installed by him and all spoke highly. I don't have the card any longer; I gave it to my boss who had his Blink installed by the guy.
I have Robert's card and will see if he is interested in coming to Gathering #6 to talk about EVSE installation and the pros/cons of having a second meter installed.

Back