Should I get a credit card with RFID?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw86347

Yesterday I bought my fist leaf. Should I get an RFID CC so that I can charge my leaf when out and about?

Well, a standard credit card (VISA, AMEX, etc) currently don't have RFID option (they should however, and the recent Target debacle will likely speed transition to RFID credit cards.

The major commercial charge networks either require a membership (with an accompanying RFID card) or make you jump through a bunch a hoops to use your VISA, etc). Joining the commercial networks makes it MUCH easier to use their charge stations, and unless you figure you are only going to use them once or twice a year, I'd recommend joining.

I have 3 cards (Semacharge, Blink, Chargepoint). I believe there is a bill pending in Calif to require Charge network operators do develop a universal payment system so that EV owners only have to have one card, but it is currently not in place.

Before I got my ChargePoint card, I tried to use the RFID tag that came with my Citi Credit Card. The tag is designed to stick on the back of your cell phone. Every time I tried it at a ChargePoint station, it failed. The station had a very difficult time even reading the RFID tag, and when it actually read it, it would be declined. This was at a free station, so I couldn't understand why it was being declined. I then would get phone calls and e-mails from Citi Bank about "fraud" on my account, asking me to verify that I tried to use my Citi card at the charging station. Again, not sure why Citi Bank would decline a $0 transaction.

Anyway, just get the RFID card directly from the operator of the charging network you want to use. I'm pretty sure ChargePoint is the only one out there that accepts RFID credit cards, and since it doesn't work too well, it's not worth the hassle. ChargePoint sent me a free card when I called to activate a station over the phone.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of stations out there that aren't on any network at all. With those stations, you can usually just plug in and start charging, like you do at home. Speaking of charging at home, most Leaf owners do the vast majority of their charging at home, so you might not get as much use out of those RFID cards as you might think.

I have a Chargepoint card, though I haven't used it yet. It looks pretty much like a grocery store discount card. Is that RFID?

rw86347 said:
Yesterday I bought my fist leaf. Should I get an RFID CC so that I can charge my leaf when out and about?

Early RFIDs were easy to copy. The current generation (widespread use in Europe) is secure and by the end of 2014 all US banks will pull your current cards and issue new credit and debit cards with the new chips. (they were put on notice by the CC companys that the banks would begin incurring the fraud charges of non-RFID chipped cards) This should make it easier to incorporate the readers into public charging stations (I hope).

They make RFID-proof wallets that have a foil metal pocket in them for your credit cards. We use it also for our passports which now have RFID I.D. in them.

Use a site like Plugshare to ascertain which charging networks are prevalent in the areas you're likely to use, and then get accounts for the most numerous/well-situated ones. Your tolerance for jumping through hoops will determine how far down the "long tail" you're willing to go. If you've ever listened to the "Transport Evolved" podcast, the host has something like 13 different fobs. The situation in the UK is even crazier than here.

I have 2 cards.

Chargepoint because they have a lot of L2 charging in this area and are fairly reliable.
Blink because of their L3 in this area

Haven't bothered with any of the others yet. I use public charging fairly infrequently and when I do, these 2 networks have had what I needed.

ta245Bf.jpg

stjohnh said:
Well, a standard credit card (VISA, AMEX, etc) currently don't have RFID option (they should however, and the recent Target debacle will likely speed transition to RFID credit cards.

??? I hate to break it to you but RFID can be copied (both gen 1 and gen 2), its just an easier method because you don't have to swipe ???

To be honest, the 1-4 % tax that credit cards levy on every purchase and then the fraud associated makes it seem like perhaps the 25 seconds spent on providing "cash" might be worthwhile most of the time with "credit" reserved for travel and large purchases?

many businesses around here are going BACK to checks & cash because of credit card costs and fraud.

i personally find it rather terrible that 1.9% of our GDP is completely wasted everyday because of our lazyness, the Japanese think this way as well (hate credit0 but sadly are falling victim to the cell phone payment methods which are the same ponzi scheme.

ah well.

rmay635703 said:
??? I hate to break it to you but RFID can be copied (both gen 1 and gen 2), its just an easier method because you don't have to swipe ???

To be honest, the 1-4 % tax that credit cards levy on every purchase and then the fraud associated makes it seem like perhaps the 25 seconds spent on providing "cash" might be worthwhile most of the time with "credit" reserved for travel and large purchases?

many businesses around here are going BACK to checks & cash because of credit card costs and fraud...
While I am happy to use cash or checks when offered a discount, such options are very rare in my experience. Would my using cash/checks otherwise lead to lower prices at stores? Not unless everyone did it, I suppose. So, what's the point? The credit card companies have a stranglehold on the market and discourage discounts for cash from merchants.

The credit card game is what it is and I use my rewards card to get my 1.5% back on my purchases. But I do draw the line on using an Amex card, which has a higher merchant fee than Visa or Mastercard, as I understand it.

While a personal campaign against credit cards might be noble, it seems futile unless discounts for cash became the norm; I presume that merchant contracts with card companies prohibit such discounts.

A lot of gas stations have a cash price and a credit card price. Not that anyone on this forum would know about that...

There are ways to manage the credit vs. cash price. You just have to call it an extra charge for credit instead of a discount for cash. The rub is that the credit customers don't switch to cash, they instead switch to your competitor.

Back