Slow Charge Fast Completion Missing Miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordelpme

Sorry for the weird title, but I'm struggling to get my head around a issue.

I have been making an effort to charge at home more to get the most out of having the Leaf, but living in a 1st floor flat, it's a pain with deploying/retrieving the extension cable. The issue I have been seeing is that the charging time stated on Nissan EV and on Dashboard stats 8 hours to 80% and it's done between 5-6 hours using the 2.2kw Nissan 3 pin charger.

Added to that, over the last 9 trips I travelled 48 miles in total with a (previously reset) average consumption of 4.7mile/kw. I was not expecting to get down to 8% SoC with that usage, that amount of charge should have got me 3 more trips minimum.

Info

2014 Nissan Leaf Accenta
24kw Batt, 1 bar gone (79% SoH) 9mV-21mv low/highest
83k miles
12V replaced 18months ago, no more than 4 days without car being used.
240V Nissan 2.2kw 3 pin charger

Is there a problem, is the problem me overlooking something stupid? Seriously hoping it's not the L2 onboard charger

It's called battery degradation. Without a LeafSpy reading, all you know is you have 11CB on your way to 10CB.
You don't say where you live (climate), but I'm thinking you're lucky you're doing as well as you are after this many miles on a 24kWh pack.

Using a extension cable isn't a good idea: I did it at a hotel, but the Granny charger showed soms error and was also charging way slower than it should.

Cheers for replies.

As to the battery health, it's 79% as stated in original post.

Climate wise, it's English Midlands. Last month or so lows of 15c highs of 27c. Winds maxing out with gusts of 27kph.

As to extension lead use, I live in a 1st floor rented flat, not paying rapid charge rates unless I have to. It's a single socket, heavy duty cable, no noticeable warmth from the plug during use.

From what I know of lithium devices.. I'm worried that it's either a BMS issue, L2 charger issue, granny charger or battery issue. The difference between lowest and highest cell seems to be within what is said to be ok.

Have you been using DC fast chargers and just recently started charging at home? USA cars after 2013 do not allow it, but I believe your car may have a menu setting to stop charging at 80% on 240-volt charging. If so, charging at home may not be giving you a full charge.

GerryAZ said:
Have you been using DC fast chargers and just recently started charging at home? USA cars after 2013 do not allow it, but I believe your car may have a menu setting to stop charging at 80% on 240-volt charging. If so, charging at home may not be giving you a full charge.

It's not full charge that is the issue.. It's that the car is saying it's at 79% (which I have set to 80% stop) but I'm not getting the mileage. The car (after being having trip and efficiency reset) says I'm getting around 4.7mi/kw but in reality I' m getting 3.1 after looking at the mileage done vs battery % used when I have to charge again.

Next time I charge, I will try without the 80% limiter in case it's causing something janky with the 240v charger.

"4.7mi/kw but in reality I' m getting 3.1 after looking at the mileage done vs battery % used when I have to charge again. "

I have a U.S. 2023 Leaf S that is always 120 volt level 1 charged at home. My experience is the dash display of mi/kw is greatly overstated.

Some examples:
Dash 4.8 calculated 3.28
Dash 3.3 calculated 2.70
Dash 3.9 calculated 3.20

So, plan on the reality and ignore the computer generated Dash lies.

Back