Smartphone app for Windows mobile ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiey

Does anybody know if a windows mobile version of the smartphone app will be available?

eddiey said:
Does anybody know if a windows mobile version of the smartphone app will be available?

We didn't know that Nissan would release an iPhone app until some people saw it demonstrated at a recent test drive event. I think we expected that Nissan would have an iPhone app, as I expect that they will also have an Android app. I'm not so sure about a Windows Mobile app because of the small amount of market share for this mobile device operating system. However, Nissan reps have mentioned a few times that any Smartphone with data connectivity will be able to communicate with the Leaf. I think that means that Nissan will have a web site that is designed for mobile devices (e.g. small screens).

Frank said:
We didn't know that Nissan would release an iPhone app until some people saw it demonstrated at a recent test drive event. I think we expected that Nissan would have an iPhone app, as I expect that they will also have an Android app. I'm not so sure about a Windows Mobile app because of the small amount of market share for this mobile device operating system. However, Nissan reps have mentioned a few times that any Smartphone with data connectivity will be able to communicate with the Leaf. I think that means that Nissan will have a web site that is designed for mobile devices (e.g. small screens).

Actually, we knew from quite a while that there would be an iphone app (infact from the day Leaf was announced in Japan).

I think OP is talking about the new Windows 7 phones getting released tomorrow.

My dumb phone died the otherday. So, I'm now in the market for a phone - I'll wait till the windows phones are released and compare with Android and iPhone. One thing in favor of Win phone is that I can stream songs using Zune subscriptions (read somewhere). With that who needs XM ?

evnow said:
Actually, we knew from quite a while that there would be an iphone app (infact from the day Leaf was announced in Japan).

My dumb phone died the otherday. So, I'm now in the market for a phone - I'll wait till the windows phones are released and compare with Android and iPhone. One thing in favor of Win phone is that I can stream songs using Zune subscriptions (read somewhere). With that who needs XM ?

You can't get "Howard Stern" without an XM.Sirius subscription, and you can listen online as well (with a sub). Don't fight it, get an iPhone or an Android, at this point, it really doesn't matter "which one is better", you need to be able to run the apps, and those 2 platforms will have all the apps. I predict a quick and painful death for Windows 7 mobile, too little, too late.

It would be nice of Nissan to start their "LEAF-Control" Internet website, at least in a demo mode, so that we could try out our many different web browsers with their intended site.

Many less-smart phones, PDAs, netbooks, laptops, and desktops, of MANY brands ... all have basic web browsers.

But, finding and fixing the "problems" BEFORE we have to start using it for real ... might be ... too difficult for them?

Hopefully this website will be less "art" and more "functional", designed to work easily on simple, old, basic browsers.

evnow said:
Frank said:

The iPhone app that was initially demonstrated was for the Japanese market, not the US market. I think we assumed that it would be available in a US version. CARWINGS is another example of different functionality between the Japenese and US market. And, I don't believe the Nissan Leaf website specifies an iPhone app for communicating with the Leaf.

Regarding Windows Mobile 7. The current version of Windows Mobile has a very small amount of market share. With Andriod increasing market share every day,and with iPhone already commanding a large piece of the pie, I don't think Windows Mobile 7 will get much traction. But in any case, it doesn't seem that Nissan would invest resources in developing an app for a mobile device unless it is widely used.

mitch672 said:
You can't get "Howard Stern" without an XM.Sirius subscription, and you can listen online as well (with a sub). Don't fight it, get an iPhone or an Android, at this point, it really doesn't matter "which one is better", you need to be able to run the apps, and those 2 platforms will have all the apps. I predict a quick and painful death for Windows 7 mobile, too little, too late.

I'd have to be handsomely paid to listen to that guy.

I like the design of win 7 phone better - from what I see so far. Besides, I want to support a local company ;-)

evnow said:
mitch672 said:

I'd have to be handsomely paid to listen to that guy.

I like the design of win 7 phone better - from what I see so far. Besides, I want to support a local company ;-)

Howard is actually very funny, and not what most people think, most are clueless.

Enjoy your soon to be orphaned W7 Mobile phone, this is NOT the first attempt my microsoft into the handheld device market, and I doubt it will be the last either. Microsoft gave their employees 97,00 of these things, to beta test... a real beta test would be with the public, but no one wants to bother with it.

mitch672 said:
Howard is actually very funny, and not what most people think, most are clueless.
I don't find him funny. I prefer Colbert & Stewart. I think Howard targets a different demo.

Microsoft gave their employees 97,00 of these things, to beta test....
LOL. Who told you this ?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011291-1.html

The employees will get it once the phones are released.

mitch672 said:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/201660/microsoft_giving_away_windows_phone_7_to_employees.html

"The company made the commitment during the Microsoft Global Exchange (MGX) conference this week."

This is different from ...

"Microsoft gave their employees 97,00 of these things, to beta test".

ps : You can read the actual memo here ...

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/07/memo_microsoft_asks_employees_to_evangelize_windows_phone_7.html

Apparently, Apple did the same with iPhone.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13509_3-9736844-20.html?tag=mncol;txt

You can put me in the group jumping ship from Windows Mobile (had 6 on my Sprint Mogul, upgraded to 6.5) and moving to Android 2.2 (T-Mobile G2).

Two and a half years ago I didn't want to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone, so I stayed on Sprint and upgraded to my Windows Mobile phone. Now that I'm wanting to upgrade again, Android is definitely the way market share is going (growth has well exceeded the iPhone). I switched to T-Mobile because Sprint wanted to up my bill from a $90 family plan to over $150 to upgrade to Android, T-Mobile wants $130. Really a no-brainer to me...

DarkStar said:
You can put me in the group jumping ship from Windows Mobile (had 6 on my Sprint Mogul, upgraded to 6.5) and moving to Android 2.2 (T-Mobile G2).

Ofcourse the old windows mobile is no match to the newer iOS/Android. Win phone 7 is a completely different beast. Main attraction to me is X-Box live & Zune streaming - neither which others offer (until Apple starts its own rumored subscription service).

http://gizmodo.com/5471805/windows-phone-7-series-everything-is-different-now

I don't think I care about other 2,000 apps. Afterall i've lived without them all these years ...

The biggest plus for iPhone is the Leaf app & the iPhone music integration with Leaf ....

DarkStar said:

Two and a half years ago I didn't want to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone, so I stayed on Sprint and upgraded to my Windows Mobile phone. Now that I'm wanting to upgrade again, Android is definitely the way market share is going (growth has well exceeded the iPhone). I switched to T-Mobile because Sprint wanted to up my bill from a $90 family plan to over $150 to upgrade to Android, T-Mobile wants $130. Really a no-brainer to me...

A no brainer? I'll tell you what a no brainer is: Cricket recently came out with an Android phone and you get all of these (except the phone) UNLIMITED for only $55/mo. and NO contract: mobile web, local and long distance talk, texting, mobile email, picture and video messaging, etc. Their coverage has really been improved. As soon as my T-mobile expires, I'm switching!

leaffan said:
A no brainer? I'll tell you what a no brainer is: Cricket recently came out with an Android phone and you get all of these (except the phone) UNLIMITED for only $55/mo. and NO contract: mobile web, local and long distance talk, texting, mobile email, picture and video messaging, etc. Their coverage has really been improved. As soon as my T-mobile expires, I'm switching!

Wow - never heard of them. Nice concept but they don't have coverage in my zipcode .... and they are awash in red ink.

But then, we aren't talking about service.

ps : Whatsup with naming after a game ? Thats not cricket :lol:

evnow said:
leaffan said:

Wow - never heard of them. Nice concept but they don't have coverage in my zipcode .... and they are awash in red ink.

But then, we aren't talking about service.

ps : Whatsup with naming after a game ? Thats not cricket :lol:

LOL, ya, the game is what you get when you try cricket.com. I always forget that it's mycricket.com. I was surprised to see the coverage here in AZ. It looks good for the Seattle area, and CA is really covered.

leaffan said:
LOL, ya, the game is what you get when you try cricket.com. I always forget that it's mycricket.com. I was surprised to see the coverage here in AZ. It looks good for the Seattle area, and CA is really covered.

They show green for Seattle, but nothing for my zip code ... strange.

BTW - "Thats Not Cricket" means ...

http://www.yourdictionary.com/idioms/not-cricket

Unfair, unsportsmanlike, as in It's not cricket to let him go without notice. This term, in which the sport of cricket is equated with upright behavior, survives in America despite the relative unfamiliarity of the sport there. [Mid-1800s]

ECOtality has promised an iPhone, "Droid", and Blackberry app for the Blink charger connectivity.

It will connect to ECOtality's network center, and not the charger itself.
The Blink chargers have Zigbee, WiFi, and Cellular (CDMA) connectivity.

I don't know anything about the Leaf applications from Nissan.
I know Carwings is on AT&T, but does the Leaf also have WiFi? I haven't heard it.

(From the Oct 4 meeting)

There's a reason MFST is giving W7 Phones to employees - if left to market or technology driven decision, employees would almost always pay for iPhone and/or Andriod phone over W7 devices.

In any case, it's unlikely that Nissan, or for that matter most mobile devs, will develop, market, support and maintain an app for a platform unless/until it has critical share. Especially a free app.

Marksp said:
...employees would almost always pay for iPhone and/or Andriod phone over W7 devices.
I like it when people display great deal of confidence and state their speculation as fact :lol:

Back