SoCal Branch Year 4 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 5

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dori,
I went by your business place about 2:15 yesterday afternoon,
but it seemed that nobody was there, at least from the front.
Are you OK?

I hope to fly my quadcopter today (DJI Phantom 2 Vision).
My wishes for a Joy-filled New Year to you all, Gary.

:p Happy New Year!!! :p Gary, and all MNL friends! Sorry for the long absence on the boards, our family just got back from our trip to SE Asia last night and though we did avoid the flu (knock on wood) we're a bit jetlagged still. I see that I'll get to see everyone (hope to see you Kat!) next Saturday 11th. Am looking forward to that and I hope to post a link to photos I took at our December gathering at which everyone gamely posed in my Dr Suessian festive hat (and they turned out great btw!) Also some pics from my Asia trip, including a side trip to a Nissan dealership in Tokyo with a (that's a like in 1) Leaf that I could see. Till next time! Dori

Quadcopters, Teslas, and LEAFs, oh my! Talk about cool toys. :)

Some members of my family would love to join you again when that becomes doable for us. It's been such a long time. Maybe later this winter.

Thanks to proliferating QCs, our 11-bar LEAF should be able to make the trip. On the other hand, hitching a ride in tbleakne's red beauty, if he's available for that, might be more fun.

New Year greetings to all!

Hi,
Great to hear from the edge of the World, and I would love to
see your family again, it has been way too long.

Being addicted to HTB, I went to the Santa Ana HTB yesterday with Gregg.

Rosy, our mom-with-new-baby (now a couple of months old) waitress
showed a couple of baby pictures on her cell phone. Both are doing well.
"He looks just like me", I said, and she laughed, and noted that he (Jacob)
has very dark brown eyes, not quite matching mine. Oh well, I guess one
does not get all their life dreams fulfilled.

I am planning to see you all next Saturday, in Cerritos.
Cheers, Gary

abasile said:
Quadcopters, Teslas, and LEAFs, oh my! Talk about cool toys. :)

Some members of my family would love to join you again when that becomes doable for us. It's been such a long time. Maybe later this winter.

Thanks to proliferating QCs, our 11-bar LEAF should be able to make the trip. On the other hand, hitching a ride in tbleakne's red beauty, if he's available for that, might be more fun.

New Year greetings to all!
Yes, it would be my privilege to provide a ride in the red T-car any time. I understand that right now having a new very young family member complicates things.

During my short trip (by air) to Houston, my cousin demonstrated his little copter indoors. It was much smaller and cheaper than Gary's, very difficult to control, with very limited in flight time.

If we have totally calm air for one of our breakfasts, perhaps we can get Gary to launch his Quadcopter in a nearby park after breakfast ?

Thanks, tbleakne! Glad you had a good trip. Hope to see you before too long.

The Quadcopter could be used to provide aerial views of CHAdeMO QC installations! ;-)

Maybe the two groups meeting at the same time and date in nearly the same location could join forces for the betterment of EV's?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25769-Next-OC-Tesla-Meet-Lunch-Saturday-01-11-2014-11-am?p=540247&viewfull=1#post540247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KABUKI Japanaese Restaurant
975 E. Birch St, Brea, CA 1-714-255-0090

Based on google maps (I've embedded the map into the address above), there appears to be ample parking to the right of the restaurant. Let me know by private message or send an email to me at [email protected] if you will be attending so that I can get a headcount.

thanks,

tan

Wow, many steps up from our "trough", but conveniently located
and well timed for those with sufficient "stomach" for it. Of course,
you do not HAVE to eat at both places.
Thanks for letting us know, Tony.

Perhaps somebody could find out if anybody has purchased one of
the Tesla QC to Tesla adapters. When I get the QC "sniffer" working,
it would be interesting to record a Tesla QC session.

I plan to bring the little and big quadcopters prepared to fly,
and there are some parks that we might be able to use.

The closest is about a mile south, but it has major power lines
going through it, so not that good for flying... Zap!

There is another park about a mile East on South Street, and
a couple more parks, about 2 miles West, again on South Street.

So, wind permitting, we should be able to fly a bit,
if flying Radio Control is not prohibited, as it is in
the Irvine city parks.

I will be there tomorrow and I'll bring my large quad and hexcopter to show off as well and bring some other goodies and secret project stuff.

I hope it all fits in the Leaf!! :shock:

See you all there!
Jason

Great to see Kat again, and Mitch after a very long absence. Boomer demonstrated his skill with his little helicopter right inside HTB. I had hoped to see Gary's impressive Quadcopter and Jaspn's hex copter in flight, but I had to leave to attend first Tesla luncheon, in Brea.

I counted 11 Model S + a Roadster and Jeremy's valiant Leaf, but I believe one or two more MS arrived later. Folks of wide range of ages. Same for cars. Several MS less than 2 months old, like mine. Few extended trips, except driving home from factory or quick trips to Vegas.

I learned good stuff. Clarification of issue 1st raised to my attention by Boomer23: If you lose cell phone coverage, navigation on the center screen dies, but it continues on the small screen to left of steering wheel. One fellow has a growing collection of J1772 adapters left at L2 stations by distracted Tesla drivers like me. A very early MS owner reported a slight motor whine. The service center recorded the audio, sent it to the factory for analysis, and they gave him a new motor and inverter.

No one has ordered a CHAdeMO adapter, but they knew about explosion of new QC at Nissan dealerships popping up on Plugshare, which was news to me. Some of them apparently are not quite operational. Several owners reported friendly L2 charging of their MS at selected Nissan dealerships, but confirm in advance. Hopefully attitude would extend to QC.

QC in towns off the Tesla Supercharger corridors would be useful to me. So far nothing showing in Temecula, Fresno, Reno.

Last night, Thursday, I attended a great event celebrating the 10th anniversary of the landing of Spirit and Opportunity on Mars. Those Leafers among us who are also space geeks should enjoy watching the webcast replay.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/lectures_archive.php?year=2014&month=1

Passionate science results from project scientist Steve Squires, great mission videos, inspirational engineering solutions from the rover driving team, and a hilarious and uplifting close by Bill Nye the Science Guy. Beckman Auditorium on Caltech campus was full.

tbleakne said:
Last night, Thursday, I attended a great event celebrating the 10th anniversary of the landing of Spirit and Opportunity on Mars. Those Leafers among us who are also space geeks should enjoy watching the webcast replay.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/lectures_archive.php?year=2014&month=1

Passionate science results from project scientist Steve Squires, great mission videos, inspirational engineering solutions from the rover driving team, and a hilarious and uplifting close by Bill Nye the Science Guy. Beckman Auditorium on Caltech campus was full.

Sounds like a great evening, tbleakne. I enjoyed your recap of the Tesla lunch as well.

See you guys next Saturday. Gary, hoping to hear some more happy helicopter exploits from you.

It looks like I will be getting a ride to this coming Saturday's
Gathering at Hometown Buffet in a rather new Tesla S.

If there are any items ghat I should bring, please remind me,
since most tend to "live" in my car, and wouldn't make the
trip unless I help them.

HTB on 17th street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East of I5.
Cheers, Gary

Gathering this coming Saturday morning at the Hometown Buffet
on 17th Street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East of I5.

Quadcopter flying, weather and regulations permitting, after the Gaghering.
Probably at a park nearby on the NE corner of Grand and freeway 22.
All invited.

Greetings all.

Although I don't own a Leaf, I did rent one for a week in Maui! Ended up buying a Toyota RAV4 EV. I enjoyed EV's so much that I traded in my two Jaguars and bought a Chevy Volt. I have been told that tomorrows get-together is open to all EV owners, so I thought I would drive down and say hello. I am most interested in Chademo chargers as a member of the RAV4 group is looking to making one available to us. Unfortunately while I was on Maui, there were no public Chademo chargers available on my side of the island. Now, apparently, there are many. While eating breakfast, I would like to learn as much as I can about the Chademo system.

See you tomorrow morning.

MichaelBornstein said:
Greetings all.

Although I don't own a Leaf, I did rent one for a week in Maui! Ended up buying a Toyota RAV4 EV. I enjoyed EV's so much that I traded in my two Jaguars and bought a Chevy Volt. I have been told that tomorrows get-together is open to all EV owners, so I thought I would drive down and say hello. I am most interested in Chademo chargers as a member of the RAV4 group is looking to making one available to us. Unfortunately while I was on Maui, there were no public Chademo chargers available on my side of the island. Now, apparently, there are many. While eating breakfast, I would like to learn as much as I can about the Chademo system.

See you tomorrow morning.

You'll be very welcome, Michael.

I must say that you've got me intrigued about the combination of CHAdeMO and a RAV EV. You'll certainly find a couple of guys with the greatest amount of CHAdeMO knowledge outside of an industry brain trust.

Back