SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeafyD plans on offering some suggestions here shortly. The idea is meet around 8, then finish sometime or after 9 then walk across the street and setup and relax for the day..

Then dinner in the evening ;) Allan has that covered already.

Sorry to chime in so close to the event, but there's a restaurant on the Hyatt Regency premises called the Watertable, relatively new facility, which offers a nice breakfast menu, starting at 6:30 in the morning. Jason and Hilda will be staying there, so that might be convenient for them, and the rest of us who want to go can park at the event across the street, with our free voucher passes printed out and walk across the street on their overpass walk, dine, and then go back to set up canopies, get our materials and displays set up and be good to go! I need to be there at 7:30 just so I can get out by 8:30 and across the street to help out. Those setting up and manning the booth should have things in place by 9:30 latest for the opening at 10 am. But of course those who want to stay and dine leisurely should do that and join us later. There's also a Surf City Grocers there with a Starbucks that offers more casual fare. So who's up for breakfast by the sea?

I'm planning on meeting you guys at the hotel for brekky around 8 am. I've been asked to display my Leaf for the event, so I'll drop it off, then join you for breakfast.

I can't stick around for dinner, though. Got family plans for the evening.

Is anyone going to Alt Car on Friday. If so, find me, I'll be there early, hopefully.

Remember that there's charging nearby a block or so away at the Hilton.. so if anybody needs it.

I think we'll plan on parking across the street first, then walk back to the hotel maybe. See you there!

There's also this handy listing of nearby chargers at the bottom of the page: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed the HB event, seeing you all as well as the BMW i8 and the Nissan 3-seater concept car.
The EV event at Diamond Bar was also good in its own way, with a good, articulate political speech by Paul Scott, and and a good technical speech by Wally Rippel that covered both the past and the near future of EV technology.

Today I saw not one, but two BMW i3s within one hour. One driver waved and said he recognized me from Saturday.

The next Hometown Buffet breakfast EV Gathering is this coming
Saturday, at the HTB on 17th street in Santa Ana. Directions in
this thread's first post.

We intend to install a "black box" type of logging system in Tom's
Tesla S, and there will probably be a special meeting on the 4th of
October to check out its operation during the week. When we decide
where to meet him, others will be welcome, I believe.

The following official Gathering (in Cerritos), will probably be on Oct 11th.

For those trying to plan ahead, trying to miss the holiday weekends:

------ 51st month Gatherings ------
Gathering #51a: 8 Nov 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #51b: 22 Nov 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

------ 50th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #50a: 11 Oct 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #50b: 25 Oct 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

Cheers, Gary

I have a BMW i3 with range extender on a three day test drive. I'll bring it along to our Saturday breakfast in Santa Ana. Test drives available.

Fifth Saturday 11/29/14, Temecula CA, 9 am - Noon, Hometown Buffet, 40390 Margarita Rd Temecula, CA, behind Lowe's. :cool:

Sorry I didn't make it last Saturday in Cerritos for breakfast. I did drive all the way to Los Gatos (from San Diego) with the RAV4 EV while testing JdeMO. I hope to see everybody at the following:

EV Meet Ups in Orange County, San Diego County and Los Angeles County:

All meet-ups on Saturday:

Oct 11 - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

Oct 18 - Northridge (Los Angeles County), noon to 5pm, Bob's Big Boy, 8876 Corbin Ave, Northridge

Oct 25 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8:30am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

Nov 8, 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.

Nov 22, 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana

Third Saturday monthly - Northridge (Los Angeles County) 12pm - 5pm - Bob’s Big Boy in Northridge, 8876 Corbin Ave., Northridge, CA 91324). SE Corner of Northridge Way and Corbin Ave.

Sorry I dropped the ball on getting the thread title updated.
Now, it is updated to remind us of our last Gathering, in Cerritos.
In a few days, I will update it again to Oct 25 for our next
Gathering, on 17th street in Santa Ana.

We had 17 bodies on Oct 11th, and a bunch of Rav4EVs.
A very good meeting, with lots of discussions and questions.

I demonstrated the WiFi based extraction of log files from
the Raspberry Pi based black box CAN data logger that we are
working on, that we are using to collect (almost) all of the
messages from the LEAF and Tesla S OBD (and other) CAN buses.
We have found that 115.2 kbaud is not sufficient to capture
all the messages from a busy TS CAN bus. However, we are
apparently driver-limited in the RasPi right now. Perhaps
someone with Raspbian (OS) experience will surface to help.

We could try the logging system on the two CAN buses in the
Rav4EV, if somebody sufficiently nearby Mission Viejo wants
to try it out.

As more electrics come out in enough quantity to make it interesting,
we could use people who have an interest in logging their EV's data.

Cheers all, and thanks for the great turnout.

Hi gang,

Tomorrow I start home from visit with friends at Pagosa Springs. Yesterday in Durango I met local Tesla owner as well as another couple from CA Bay Area who were about to take delivery on their Model S at Fremont factory. They will get the cool new radar and cameras that will support Auto Pilot.

I also saw a Volt and a Leaf in Durango. The city has nice ChargePoint J plugs at their Transit Center, free trolley bus around town, 1 bus every 20 min.

To get here I used Superchargers in Barstow, Flagstaff, Holbrook, Gallup, and Farmington. I made it to Kingman SC with 41 Rated Miles, but I had stopped at RV park in Needles for 30 insurance RM. Since headwinds are predicted for return leg to Barstow, I will divert from Kingman to Las Vegas SC, stay in LV Friday, see Red Rock Canyon on last day, Sat. Thursday night will be at Grand Canyon, charging at RV park while staying at lodge.

Logged into Rasberry data logging here, everything looks good.

Today drove Gallup to Grand Canyon S Rim. Arrived in time to see canyon in late afternoon sun. 29 F predicted low for tonight. Left Tesla charging at Trailer Village, rode shuttle bus to dinner at Bright Angel Lodge and then on to my room at Masik Lodge. Will ride shuttle back to car in morning.

While charging at Holbrook a fellow about my age pulled up to ask questions. Very committed to reducing his own carbon footprint, owns a Coda which he has stored CA and he hopes to get an affordable 200 mile car soon.

I have Verizon cell service and Wifi here for iPad, but car lost its ATT cell service soon after Flagstaff. I discovered I could freeze nav screen map with last cell update and gps would continue to update car's position on the route, and continue to provide route directions.

Tomorrow 175 miles and 4K ft down to Kingman SC, then on to Las Vegas SC and motel for last night on road.

Tom, we are glad that things are going well on your trip, and
we look forward to seeing a map with your route and charging
locations... and pictures, please. If you put all your pictures (or
all that you are willing to share) onto a USB flash drive (or SDcard,
or Micro-SD card), I can bring my laptop to copy them, and write
copies for others that bring a suitable flash drive / SD card.

Safe return, Cheers, Gary

We had a great lunch in Northridge, at Bob's Big Boy.

SoCal EV Meet Ups in Orange County, San Diego County, Riverside and Los Angeles County:

All meet-ups on Saturday:

Oct 25, 2014 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

Nov 8, 2014 - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

Nov 15, 2014 - Northridge (Los Angeles County), 12 noon to 3pm, Bob's Big Boy, 8876 Corbin Ave, Northridge (818) 772-2627 NOTE: may not be active

Nov 22, 2014 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

Nov 29, 2014 - Temecula CA (Riverside County) 9 am - Noon, Hometown Buffet, 40390 Margarita Rd Temecula, CA, behind Lowe's. :cool:

Third Saturday monthly - Northridge (Los Angeles County) 12pm - 3pm - Bob’s Big Boy in Northridge, 8876 Corbin Ave., Northridge, (818) 772-2627. Southeast corner of Northridge Way and Corbin Ave. NOTE: may not be active

500E365B-CC67-4D4B-8E32-992D908D9CC0.jpg

Back