SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
91040 said:
I think the fuse holder will fit if I remove one of the risers holding the LED. May also have to move the ground bar. Hmm…maybe I should mount the LED on the cover.

Plan to use this as a portable EVSE so fuses are recommended.

GlennD said:
91040 said:
Glenn, Thanks for your offer. I ordered the fuse holder and fuses that Chris now uses in his kit. Should be more robust than the original.

The version of OpenEVSE on this device allows 20, 25 or 30A but not 24A. The Anderson connectors have been removed with concurrent reduction of heat.

As a possibility- Home Town Buffet has a drinks only option. I also know someone who they allow in without paying since he does not eat.

Gary- Thanks also for your encouragement and help.

Allen, Just be aware the replacement fuse holder and fuses is MUCH LARGER! I do not think they will fit in the original enclosure.

If you use an external breaker I have some brass dummy fuses that will start a fire before they blow. I put them and a couple of fuses in my glove compartment so I will always have them. I built an EVSE for a person in Florida with temps over 115 degrees. The dummy fuses fixed his fuse blowing problem.

I just looked at my calender and instead of the last Saturday it is a week early so my day is clear. It usually conflicts with the TRW Swap Meet. I will bring a fuse holder with me for you to look at. In my opinion there is no way it will fit. I will likely be there by 9AM.

I will also bring my laptop if you want to upgrade the firmware. I edit the L2 table for 10A to 50A in 2A steps.

The EVSE is in a 6"x6"x4" box. You are right about the size of the fuse holder. I fit it in by taking out the supports that held the LED and moving the ground bar. Next, have to decide how to re-attach the LED.

The firmware upgrade would be great. I'll bring the EVSE and see what the brain trust thinks about it.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

GlennD said:
I just looked at my calender and instead of the last Saturday it is a week early so my day is clear. It usually conflicts with the TRW Swap Meet. I will bring a fuse holder with me for you to look at. In my opinion there is no way it will fit. I will likely be there by 9AM.

I will also bring my laptop if you want to upgrade the firmware. I edit the L2 table for 10A to 50A in 2A steps.

91040 said:
The EVSE is in a 6"x6"x4" box. You are right about the size of the fuse holder. I fit it in by taking out the supports that held the LED and moving the ground bar. Next, have to decide how to re-attach the LED.

The firmware upgrade would be great. I'll bring the EVSE and see what the brain trust thinks about it.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

GlennD said:

I will bring you an escutcheon, Plexiglass window and 4 spacers if you want to mount it on the front like my builds. If you seal the window with RTV it will remain weatherproof

Our next EV Gathering is in two days, one hour, and 3 minutes.
Meet at the Hometown Buffet (on 17th Street in Santa Ana, just
two blocks East of the I-5 freeway), which opens at 8:00 AM.

I should be bringing Phil, and some black tape for... someone.
Also, a spare rim for the Tesla, in case anyone is interested.

Upcoming events:
Gathering #55a: 7 Mar 2015 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.. 
Gathering #55b: 21 Mar 2015 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.
Gathering #55c: 28 Mar 2015, an Open Yard event at the Kat House.
(More details in the Kat House event later.)

The top of the box is clear plastic. One idea is to attach the LED with 4 screws through the top without cutting a slot for it. Another possibility is to use metal stand offs at the two positions that weren't covered by the fuse holder. That might support the LED sufficiently. Need to seal the holes from the original fuse holders as well.

GlennD said:
I will bring you an escutcheon, Plexiglass window and 4 spacers if you want to mount it on the front like my builds. If you seal the window with RTV it will remain weatherproof

91040 said:
The top of the box is clear plastic. One idea is to attach the LED with 4 screws through the top without cutting a slot for it. Another possibility is to use metal stand offs at the two positions that weren't covered by the fuse holder. That might support the LED sufficiently. Need to seal the holes from the original fuse holders as well.

GlennD said:

OK, You can still use the screws and spacers. I have a dead display PCB I use as a hole template. I will bring that and a marker. The screws may have to be cut down with no plexiglass window.

I was cleaning up and I found my original Lincomatic LeafCan ver 2. I replaced it with a smaller surface mount version but this one still works fine. You are welcome to it or if you do not want it, any other Leaf owner can have it. It fits in the console cubby or where TomT had his.

Really wish I could make this one, sounds like a good crowd. Sadly I'm on night shift... I can't miss my day time sleep. (I've tried to and I end up getting sick) :oops:

With at least 14 people attending, including several newcomers,
we had a great Gathering. Sorry Robert could not make it.

Phil's eye is slowly improving, which is greatly encouraging.
Dori wisely decided to not share her flu with us, but we hope to
see her next time (7 March) at the HTB in Cerritos.

Cheers, and thanks to all for joining us, Gary.

EV Gathering at the Hometown Buffet in Cerritos, California on South Street
just East of 605, the first exit south of freeway 91, this coming Saturday,
the 7th of March. All kind souls welcome.

Next Gathering in 3 days and 55 minutes.

See LEAFs, at least one Tesla S, and usually Rav4EVs,.
Occasionally other vehicle types, even some almost-rare ICE types!

The owners and drivers have a lot of experience to share.
Join us to chat about EVs, and, sometimes, your own SOH.
Dori, I hope that you are feeling better.

I am intending to be there about 8:02 with Phil in Nicolas.
Cheers, Gary

Our EV Gathering is tomorrow morning, Saturday 7 March 2015, at
the Hometown Buffet in Cerritos on South Street, two blocks East of
freeway 605 (first exit south of freeway 91).

Join others with an interest in EVs and typically see both stock
and modified examples of the LEAF, Rav4EV, Tesla S, Coda, and others.
Within our group, we have close to 80 years of experience wirh EVs.

I plan to arrive at approximately 8:03 tomorrow morning.

Hi Gary, missed seeing you and everyone else in Santa Ana! But feeling MUCH better now thanks! I plan to be there early, at 8:01 but I need to be out by 10:31, give or take...... doing a pizza run for our annual native plant sale at Tree of Life Nursery in SJC: http://www.occnps.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and plan to be there till 4:00. If you have the time, inclination, and happen to be in the area, please drop by!

We had about 10 bodies, several drifting in as the morning progressed.
We had a very good time, chatting about Utility Rate Plans, stuffing a diode
into the LEAF's charging port Pilot circuit, Solar Panel projects, and many
other subjects, including Phil's recovering eye.

Dori was one of the early arrivals, anxious to join us again after her
recent bout with the flu - glad to see you again. Sorry that I did not
have the energy to get to the plant experience lecture. I would have
enjoyed it - I drove down Baja California in the mid 1960s, before
roads connected the Norte with the Sur.

At least 2 of each: LEAF, Rav4EV, Tesla S, and... were in the parking lot,
and a Coda? Again, I did not get out to see it.

Next Gathering on March 21st in Santa Ana.

Our next EV Gathering is this coming Saturday, 21 March,
at the HTB on 17th Street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East
of freeway 5. HTB opens at 8 AM, I should be there within
several minutes of 8, hungry for a good breakfast.
There are lots of food and drink choices available.

For those planing ahead, we will skip April 4th, since
the 5th is Easter Sunday. Then...

Remember Kat's Open Yard happening on Saturday 28 March
from 9 AM to 12 Noon, at 3781 Olmsted Ave, LA 90018.
I intend to have Nicolas there for Show-n-Tell.

------ 56th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #56a: 11 Apr 2015 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #56b: 25 Apr 2015 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

Cheers, Gary

Sondy132001 said:
Generally how many people show up ? and is there a certain you are sitting at, so I know you're Leaf owners =) This would be my first time going.

S

Hi and welcome. The number of attendees varies between as few as four (rarely) to as many as 12 or 15. It also varies by the time of day. Usually four or five of us are there by 8:30 am, with the maximum number seated by 9:30 or so.

As for recognizing us, you'll see several tables pulled together in the area farthest from the food, but not in a special room. We will look nerdy, generally bearded, over 60 with notable exceptions, mostly male, and all remarkably attractive. You might hesitate to approach us because we are so good looking, you'll think you've stumbled into an Oscars after-party.

We'll look forward to meeting you!

Back