Styling changes for a US built Leaf to dominate the market

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDrive

Nissan recently announced that both the European and the US built Leaf would have unique/customized styling cues. I am intrigued by this snippet of info and the lack of confirmed details around it. Maybe they have Volt/Ampera changes in mind like different bumpers, exterior trims etc.

I would like the US built Leaf to sell exceptionally well here and to do that I think Nissan has 2 big obstacles to overcome which are charging and styling.

Obstacle #1: Slow charge times for longer trips on L2 and very few DC fast chargers have been installed.

Nissan's stated solution: Upgrade to a 6.6kWh onboard charger and build and sell the worlds least expensive DC fast chargers. They appear to have reasonable solutions in the works and these issues are covered in tons of other forums... they should continue to be discussed on other threads.

Obstacle #2:  The Leaf has unique styling cues that not everyone is fond of. 
The Leaf is actually a gorgeous car from most angles in my opinion. However, articles about the Leaf seem to refer it's style frequently and the Leafs lack of sexiness. Yes, the Model S is sexy and Nissan's Z is sexy so we know cars can be sexy, even/especially electric cars.

Nissan's stated solution: No idea. Maybe a dramatic US and Europe only facelift?

I would strongly suggest 2 things to make the Leaf more stylish. Flatten/smooth out the headlights to make them flush with the body and put the Nismo production ready concept front and rear bumpers on the US Leaf.

What do you all believe that Nissan should do to improve the look of Leaf in the style department (with minor cosmetic changes)... to help Leaf sales go through the roof? Has anyone heard anymore details about Nissan's future styling plans for the Leaf?

I would strongly suggest 2 things to make the Leaf more stylish. Flatten/smooth out the headlights to make them flush with the body and put the Nismo production ready concept front and rear bumpers on the US Leaf.

So, wind noise and scraping plastic on anything but the lowest of driveways and kerbs while emulating teenage Civic-tweakers is sexy?

Herm said:
A 30kWh battery pack would be very stylish, its about 28kWh usable
You have to save some capacity for the TMS that I'm hoping my 2013 has.

I don't care about the Leaf's looks as much as the other shortcomings. Hopefully they can adjust the looks, but not at the expense of a longer range battery. That will really get EV moving more than changing the Leaf's looks.

I suppose beauty is the the eye of the beholder.. But I think the front of the Leaf is the best looking part, including the headlights.

The rear of the car, especially when viewed from directly behind the car, is sort of bland.

adric22 said:
I suppose beauty is the the eye of the beholder.. But I think the front of the Leaf is the best looking part, including the headlights.

The rear of the car, especially when viewed from directly behind the car, is sort of bland.

+1... on the looks, the back half of the car is pretty much the same as a half dozen other cars. i LOVE the front with the closed grill, charging door and especially the bulging :shock: headlights.

but its all relative. got the exact same crap with my Prius and its composes probably 1 of every 7-8 cars on the road around here.

yep, bugging headlights actually creates a wind dam that channels air flow around the side view mirrors which was needed to eliminate the whistling the mirrors created.

another thing about cars and need. my main need especially for a smaller car is a hatchback. look at the hatchback options only and you will find the Leaf to be neither ugly or cute...simply "normal"

DaveinOlyWA said:
yep, bugging headlights actually creates a wind dam that channels air flow around the side view mirrors which was needed to eliminate the whistling the mirrors created.

And I must say that my old Saturn had a TERRIBLE whistling around the mirrors problem. Hideous, so
that I was reluctant to drive with the windows down. And there was engine noise to help dull the
sound some. I much prefer the quiet we get with the funny headlight shape.

I think the LEAF is cute, but that's me. :)

I had originally thought that the best thing that Nissan could do for the LEAF would be to drop it an inch or two, but when I realized that our Prius C would never be able to leave the driveway whenever it snowed because of its low ground clearance, I conceded that the LEAF's elevation is fine just the way it is. Otherwise, the front end is fantastic, but the roofline could be lowered a smidge (did they anticipate a lot of 7' drivers?) and the rear bumper could really use a tweak. Perhaps a slightly better CoD for improved freeway mileage?

It's also been widely reported that a darker-colored interior would become available which, along with a hopefully redesigned center console (fingers crossed), might actually make me sorry that I outright purchased the car..

I don't have any big problems with the LEAF's appearance. The headlights are frequently pointed out but they have a purpose and really are the car's calling card. I don't see that changing.

Not sure what I'd change to "Americanize" it that wouldn't entail large production-line changes. Perhaps a restyling of the front grill fascia area to make it look somewhat more serious. The rims could be more stylish. And a few more body color options would be welcome.

Maybe they're talking about wider seats ;)

To dominate the market I believe all Nissan needs to do is implement the planned changes (6.6 kWh charger, improved heater, different interior colours) and drop the price by about 5-10 grand. No need to change the styling.

muus said:
To dominate the market I believe all Nissan needs to do is implement the planned changes (6.6 kWh charger, improved heater, different interior colours) and drop the price by about 5-10 grand. No need to change the styling.
5-10K would make it a lot prettier. Kind of like beer goggles.

That amount of money would be better invested in improvibg product value by upping battery life/driving range (the #1 sales showstopper) than in chasing discount customers. Electric cars are nowhere near the point in the lifecycle where one should be targeting mass market discount folk. The tech isn't even remotely mature yet.

Seems like we are all pretty happy with the V1 Leaf styling so that is good ;) I would have bought a Jelly Bean Imiev if they had gone first to market so having a normal looking EV like the Leaf is a dream come true. Style critics were hard on the Prius the first few years and now Toyota has sold 4,000,000 worldwide to date.

I think that this NISMO Leaf looks a bit sportier and Nissan USA said they would sell this here so I hope we get the Leaf NISMO in 2013. Nissan released specs that said it will have a slightly larger motor (up from 80 to 88kW) with more HP which will be good for sportier acceleration at higher speeds. I would buy it.

http://3d-car-shows.com/wp-content/gallery/nissan_1/Nissan%20LEAF%20Nismo%20Tokyo.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/NISMO-leaf1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IvgVZSr-GBs/TTCtaNzyIpI/AAAAAAAACY8/6aYw_0nwZ54/s1600/_MG_0477.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can read more about the Nismo Leaf here:
http://www.rpmgo.com/2012-nissan-leaf-nismo-announced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the first time I saw a LEAF (12/03/2009), I've thought the back end looks weird. Sometimes it makes me think of a catfish. Sometimes I think my car has too much of a "junk in the trunk" kind of look. Also, I've scraped the back bumper paint closing the garage door because it sticks out so much in the back.

KeiJidosha said:
All LEAF production should be sent to France in exchange for ZOE production, since that would fix the charger and the styling issue at the same time.
Matt, I really like the ZOE, and if I were to go back to Europe, I would likely get one. And I concur, the Chameleon charger is genius.

Back