Can 2015 base Leaf owner get a VIN that allows Nissan Connect to remotely stop Fast Charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldallan

Our 2015 base level Leaf isn't capable of using CarWings and Nissan EV connect. There are two Nissan dealers locally with updated fast chargers. The built-in timer works fine with Level-1 and Level-2, but not fast charging.
I contacted Nissan EV Connect tech support about our rejected VIN, and he reminded us that we were ineligible.

Is there a generic or wink-wink VIN I could use to be able to stop fast charging while part way thru a work-out at a Planet Fitness 3 blocks away?

LeftieBiker said:
Nothing is impossible, but since Nissan doesn't use any "stop charging" commands that I know of, it's very unlikely. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your reply.
I did get the VIN of a new 2022 Nissan Leaf at the dealership.
I'm hoping that a Nissan EV Connect account with a 2022 Leaf VIN will provide ChargePoint like capability to track the Fast-Charging from the Smart-Phone. I've watched the screen on the front of the dealership Fast-Charger, and noted numbers for current state-of-charge, estimate to 80%, how many kWh delivered, etc. Compared to the earlier Fast-Charger, it seems smarter on adjusting to my older 24 kWh 2015 battery.

I don't expect CarWings capabilities ... just hoping to at a workout gym 3 blocks away, and click on the Nissan EV Connect app on my smart-phone to stop charging ... a'la the ChargePoint app.

Dreaming?

Part of my interest is getting a better number of how many kWh were delivered from about 2% to 99% (without cell balancing). Generally, it seems to take about 10 kWh to get from 20% to 80%, which seems inconsistent with still having 11 of 12 health bars with 67,000+ miles on our 2015 Leaf.

First off, I don't understand how you can get a VIN for a car that isn't yours (let alone use it to register for anything).
With that said (and assuming you have this problem because the loss of 3G service has ended use of Nissan Connect), you can obtain the functionality you describe by replacing the Nissan TCU with something called OVMS. I created a thread on how to do that (search for OVMS or my name) if you are interested.

A VIN is pretty much a public document. That's why it's always visible from outside the car on the upper dash. That being said, yes it is NOT kosher to use someone else's VIN to register for a service.

Back