SV buyers: Cheapskate losers or smartest guys in the room?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
your current view of quick chargers matches my previous view exactly. then they were put in my neighborhood and everything changed.
I suppose you may be right. The closest QC to me is about 45 miles away, in a direction I rarely go, and I think there are three within the range of my car. I used one successfully one time, and it failed me one time, leaving me 55 miles from home with a very unhappy wife and an unplanned $100 motel bill. I can't say that I'm at all enthusiastic, yet.

Ray

planet4ever said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
your current view of quick chargers matches my previous view exactly. then they were put in my neighborhood and everything changed.
I suppose you may be right. The closest QC to me is about 45 miles away, in a direction I rarely go, and I think there are three within the range of my car. I used one successfully one time, and it failed me one time, leaving me 55 miles from home with a very unhappy wife and an unplanned $100 motel bill. I can't say that I'm at all enthusiastic, yet.

Ray

Ray that is like the Popeye's Popcorn Chicken adds i see all the time. aint one within 400 miles of me so dont matter how good the food or the deal is...

^^^The nearest DCFC is 300 miles, and a whole lot of mountains, away so it is really hard for me to get all excited about how life-changing they are. I'd be thrilled with a few well-placed L2 charge stations, since the only one within 90 miles is the one in my garage.

The idea that someone who drives an SV is just an ignorant fool missing out on the joys of QC really rankles... Enough already.

dgpcolorado said:
^^^The nearest DCFC is 300 miles, and a whole lot of mountains, away so it is really hard for me to get all excited about how life-changing they are. I'd be thrilled with a few well-placed L2 charge stations, since the only one within 90 miles is the one in my garage.

The idea that someone who drives an SV is just an ignorant fool missing out on the joys of QC really rankles... Enough already.

ok, this "if it does not directly benefit me, i think it sucks" attitude is getting REAL TIRING.

i am glad you dont have Cancer and neither do I, but i would be elated if a cure was found because eventually i might get cancer or know someone (again!!) who does

DaveinOlyWA said:
dgpcolorado said:

ok, this "if it does not directly benefit me, i think it sucks" attitude is getting REAL TIRING.

i am glad you dont have Cancer and neither do I, but i would be elated if a cure was found because eventually i might get cancer or know someone (again!!) who does
You're right and I apologize. It would be beneficial for EV adoption if QC charge station networks were to be developed (the frankenplug format war is a problem though). But EVs can work without it, as I daily try to prove.

I test-drove an SL but the SV is fine for me. Backup camera is nice enough but it's pretty easy backing these up. Fast-charge will never be relevant to me. I had a cargo cover in my Prius and removed it day 1 and then pulled it out of storage the day I turned it in.

You folks thinking lack of QC is no big deal because a) there's none nearby where you live and/or b) you don't ever use or need one: If you're leasing, sure that makes sense. But if you own the Leaf, you probably will be selling or trading it in someday. Lack of a QC option may be a HUGE deal then, especially when the charging infrastructure will be much more complete.

Just sayin', and food for thought for those considering the SV option.

Dino said:
I hope someday there are enough quick chargers around to make me regret not getting the QC option. But I just wanted a commuter, nothing more. I used the NAV a couple times but I don’t need that either.

There is one QC in my area, and it is the most magical spot on earth. I would recommend never going to one, as once you have, you will disdain every Level II charger.

Our LIII charger is actually in an office park at the VW advanced research lab, but there is rarely much of a wait, and 15-20 minutes to charge is just magic.

I bought the magic Koolaide and wasted 760.00 , I could have used that for the 3 years of charging. Not a single QC in about 200 plus miles. total sales gimmick and BS , Nissan should be ashamed to sell these and not have 1 unit available to use. BIG finger wag.

mksE55 said:
I bought the magic Koolaide and wasted 760.00 , I could have used that for the 3 years of charging. Not a single QC in about 200 plus miles. total sales gimmick and BS , Nissan should be ashamed to sell these and not have 1 unit available to use. BIG finger wag.

And when the car is 8 years old do you think the $760 today will add even $500 in value then? Doubtful IMO.

LTLFTcomposite said:
So I opted for the base model, now I'm hearing I'm way in the minority. For those who went for the SL and have had their cars a while are you finding much value in the extra features?
I would miss the ~1000 dollars more than fog lights or backup cameras.

DaveinOlyWA said:
It looks like there are 4 types of drivers. Those who have a QC station in convenient range for their travels LOVE it and view QC as the game changer for EV adoption.

Of those with no QC station, some consider it to be no big deal. Some, like me, endlessly complain about the lack of infrastructure. And some like Tony try to do something about it: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9870&start=40

highcountryrider said:
I'm not cheap... I'm frugal! :lol:
I'm usually frugal too but on that one I went all out : SL + QC + Floor mats. But no big decals. I think those are cheezy.

I do not regret getting the SL. The backup camera is the BEST option I've ever had on a car. QC is nice to have. I used a few times just to try and ONCE it actually saved my butt. So I would say it was worth it for me. Solar panel is a gimic.

But I have to say that I'm very lucky that the Belmont QC in the SF Bay Area is perfectly located for me: It's less than 1/2 mile off my normal commute (US101) route and close to the half way point.

I didn't opt for the SL because over the life of my 2 year lease, it would cost me over $2400 more, for only one feature that I would use, which was the reverse camera. But, I just rectified this problem and successfully adapated an after-market camera to the stock OEM Telematics C/U for less than $100. So, now I am a VERY HAPPY SV owner now......

BTW, see this post here for the info on the reverse camera....... :mrgreen:

Back