Synthetic/lower viscousity oil for winter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XeonPony

here our winters average -4f to -40f and never warmer, so I was thinking if I put in lighter or a synthetic oil it would reduce the drag improve range! any one ells thoughts ideas?

The GM Ev-1 and the S10-E trucks used a very low viscosity oil in the reduction gear. It was a synthetic oil that (on the bottle) claimed "for electric vehicles, reduces viscous drag, increases vehicle range". The viscosity is about the same as water. Although I have never put it in my LEAF (its leased) I have put it in my I-MiEV which normally uses ATF in the reduction gear. When cold, there is a noticable (slight) difference in drag when coasting. The stuff worked and was designed for this purpose. It hasn't caused any problems with the I-MiEV and of course was used as OEM oil in all the GM EV's. The only problem is GM part # 12371288 is no longer available. I still have several pints that have the MDS data printed on the label but no clue as to who made the stuff for GM.

Please don't change the gear box oil. It already is a synthetic, low viscosity oil specifically for the LEAF.

It's doubtful that any other oil you might try would be better, and still protect the gears and bearings from wear and tear.

Back