T-Boned yesterday on our 2019 SL Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Yeah, for 29K post incentives you can certainly land a 2020 SV Plus with options.

MSRP on a 2020 SV Plus with tech and weather pkg is about $43,000. The only incentives in Florida is the $6000 Nissan cash. Dealer discounts here run about max $4000.

Are there any other incentives I’m missing?

I’m not adverse to buying out of state and shipping it to Florida.

A bit of advice: hit the dealerships in the last days of the month. December should be especially productive for deals, as it's also the end of the year.

Flyct said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Yeah, for 29K post incentives you can certainly land a 2020 SV Plus with options.

MSRP on a 2020 SV Plus with tech and weather pkg is about $43,000. The only incentives in Florida is the $6000 Nissan cash. Dealer discounts here run about max $4000.

So without even trying

(6,000)
(4,000)
(7,500)
-----

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

So without even trying

(6,000)
(4,000)
(7,500)
-----

I wasn't counting Tax Credit as an incentive.

Looks like I'm about to close a deal on a 2020 SL Plus Nissan Corporate Factory car with 500 miles on it. It was never titled so it qualifies for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit.

$46,420 MSRP
$14,422 Discount
---------------------
$ 31,998
+$120 doc fee
+$900 shipping to Florida
($7,500) Tax Credit
-----------------
$25,518 Net cost + Sales Tax

A willingness to ship is worth thousands. I bought two cars out of state before our Tesla and profited handsomely. I routinely recommend the practice but few are interested.

Good for you

SageBrush said:
A willingness to ship is worth thousands. I bought two cars out of state before our Tesla and profited handsomely. I routinely recommend the practice but few are interested.

What's the best way to go about this? Is there a way to search multiple dealerships across the country or some web site that can be used or ?

Autotrader is one site, although bargains are not plentiful. There are also sites where you sign up to have shippers bid on transporting the car. "Ubid" was the one I used, IIRC, to have my ill-fated (and ill-constructed) Zero SR shipped to me. If you can wait a while, the first bids are highway robbery, then later ones drop in price as legitimate shippers find room in existing loads. Covered transport is expensive, but open car carrier transport often isn't.

goldbrick said:
SageBrush said:

What's the best way to go about this? Is there a way to search multiple dealerships across the country or some web site that can be used or ?
I read car forums and sites like cars . com
Then I would bring up the dealer website to see what they offered and their initial offer prices.

Mostly low brow grunt work on the computer until I found likely dealership candidates that I called on the telephone and then asked to speak with 'internet sales.' Don't bother with the floor salespeople. I arranged the shipping, and I always made it *very* clear to the other side that I would handle TT&L in my state. That way I never paid dealership or out of state paperwork, fees or taxes.

My experience was better than walking into a dealership but it does take time and a willingness to look after the details. If a dealership does not have a person who handles sales at a distance, move on. And pretty much forget about buying a new car from CA unless the deal is so good you are willing to pay tax in both states. Last piece of advice: do not send money until you have a completed Bill of Sale in your hands you are satisfied with, signed by the store manager. Verbal agreements are just hot air.

Colorado is just about THE state to live in and buy a car out of state. That way you find the best deal in the country and your dealer does not have aspirations of sharing the state tax credit with you.

SageBrush said:
And pretty much forget about buying a new car from CA unless the deal is so good you are willing to pay tax in both states.

The last time I looked at buying a car from a California dealership I was told if I drove it off the dealership lot I would have to pay California sales tax. If I had it delivered to me in Florida by truck I would not have to pay CA sales tax.

The same went for airplanes when I was looking to buy one. If I picked it up in CA I would have to pay CA tax. If they delivered it to a another state I would not pay CA tax.

The rules may have changed.

I’ve bought cars from Chicago and Atlanta and had them trucked to Florida. In both cases I didn’t pay sales tax in tat state. but I paid sales tax in Florida when I went to register it.

Flyct said:
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

So without even trying

(6,000)
(4,000)
(7,500)
-----

Looks like I'm about to close a deal on a 2020 SL Plus Nissan Corporate Factory car with 500 miles on it. It was never titled so it qualifies for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit.

$46,420 MSRP
$14,422 Discount
---------------------
$ 31,998
+$120 doc fee
($7,500) Tax Credit
-----------------

Up to you. For the rest of us, its a HUGE INCENTIVE

DaveinOlyWA said:
Flyct said:
SageBrush said:
So without even trying

(6,000)
(4,000)
(7,500)
-----

$46,420 MSRP
$14,422 Discount
---------------------
$ 31,998
+$120 doc fee
($7,500) Tax Credit
-----------------

Up to you. For the rest of us, its a HUGE INCENTIVE

It's a huge incentive for me also. I just didn't classify the tax CREDIT as a Factory incentive. In fact if there wasn't a $7,500 tax credit I would not have bought any of my 4 Leafs.

NEWS! As of 12/1/20 Nissan is not only offering $6,000 cash incentive for any leaf but a $2,000 additional incentive for a SV, so $8.000 incentives from Nissan alone.

I ended up negotiating between 8 local Florida dealers on Tuesday and Wednesday and finalized a deal on a factory fresh 10/20 manufactured Gray SL Plus at my local dealer. I had to add $6,000 to the State Farm payout to buy the 2020 Out the Door. Factoring in the $7,500 tax credit I'm $1,500 ahead and have a newer car.

Driving the new car home felt familiar and soooo comfortable. It was like I was like wearing some old broken in sneakers.

I had 2 sales managers curse me out when I told them their prices didn't win me as a customer. One hung up on me and the other nastily thanked me for saving him from selling me the car for a big loss. 3 others were polite and wished me luck with my new car but wouldn't come close of match the lowest offer.

The guy out of town at https://www.walsernissanwayzata.com/ replied "Thank you for letting me know that you made your purchase,. I hope you enjoy your Nissan Leaf!" Class

UPDATE :

It looks like my totaled Leaf was sold on auction for $20,100. My guess is that it will be parted out since engine, battery and most body panels and interior are in good shape. https://plc.ua/en/auctions/lot/nissan-leaf-2019-vin-1n4bz1cp4kc310009-1-57864930/

Flyct said:
UPDATE :

It looks like my totaled Leaf was sold on auction for $20,100. My guess is that it will be parted out since engine, battery and most body panels and interior are in good shape. https://plc.ua/en/auctions/lot/nissan-leaf-2019-vin-1n4bz1cp4kc310009-1-57864930/

"minor damage?" :lol: Kinda hard to be convincing when posting pictures!

Back