TCU not turned on - can it be done by owner??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkarza

I took delivery in 'mid country' of a new 2013 Leaf. Everything works flawlessly BUT...

The TCU didn't get turned on???

I bought the Leaf from the only dealer in Saskatchewan that is certified to date, and he is 200 MILES or 320 KM away. So - a trip to the dealer isn't possible.

I read that disconnecting the negative on the battery MIGHT fix it - it didn't.

Any suggestions? Or do I just suck it up until the local dealer takes a year to become certified.

.... frustrated in Regina SK

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new LEAF.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a TCU? Temperature Control Unit? Tanzania Commission for Universities? Texas Christian University?

If it is something controlled by software, I suspect only the dealer has the equipment needed to do the job.

Have you called Nissan support? Sometimes you get a person willing to dig into the problem rather than give you a best guess answer.

I think it's the Telematics Communication Unit. At least that's what the Service Manual uses the TCU acronym for.

Since I don't even have one on my 2013 S model, and made virtually no use of the one I had on my 2011 SL, I'll let someone else speak to how it can be turned on.

Ray

When I got my car, my TCU was also not turned on. This was on a 2012 SL in January 2012, but I doubt things are much different now. Bottom line, ONLY the dealer could turn it on. I had to leave my car at the dealer for about 5 hours while they did it.

The dealer is far away, but if you want to make use of Carwings, you'll need it turned on. Carwings is great in the winter for preheating the car, and it's also nice to be able to see the car's state of charge from your phone (if you have a smartphone).

How did you get the car home in the first place?

I agree. My TCU was not turned on either. I think it was because my car was a dealer transfer. I went back to Connell Nissan and they turned it on and updated the charger firmware.

NYLEAF said:
When I got my car, my TCU was also not turned on. This was on a 2012 SL in January 2012, but I doubt things are much different now. Bottom line, ONLY the dealer could turn it on. I had to leave my car at the dealer for about 5 hours while they did it.

The dealer is far away, but if you want to make use of Carwings, you'll need it turned on. Carwings is great in the winter for preheating the car, and it's also nice to be able to see the car's state of charge from your phone (if you have a smartphone).

How did you get the car home in the first place?

Only the dealer can turn it on and they should have done it predelivery. You can either get the car to a dealer or get the dealer to send out a tech and computer to you.

I'm the first purchaser in the Province of Saskatchewan - the place that gets very hot in summer and -40C in the winter- fingers crosseda about that!!

The dealer has just become certified to sell the Leaf and were very helpful in getting me one. I live about 3 1/2 hours away and they shipped the car within 60 miles so I could drive it home... loved the drive.... sooooo quiet.

I think that they didn't know they were to have turned on the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) and it was missed as I was the first sale they have had. Hey - I didn't even know it had to be done.

I'm on line with Nissan and they think they might be able to do something because the 2013 is different??!? I'll let you know

I believe the TCU can only be turned on by using the Consult 3+ on the vehicle. The dealer can do this. To tell if the TCU is on take a look at the Carwings screen in the center display. There should be an icon at the top of the screen. It should look like a car with wings. It will be white if it is activated. It will be grayed-out if not.

You will still need to set-up Carwings with your PIN and password, which can be obtained from the Carwings website, after it is activated.

Good luck.

Back