TESLA Model S event

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chris1howell said:
Is there any other leafers at the event? Ill post pictures soon...
I believe that TEG is there, but he seems to spend more time on the Tesla forum then here lately...

http://bit.ly/n59rWl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elon Musk arriving for the Model S Beta demo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6_EA2ue4U[/youtube]

"Smart cart" robot carrying Model S battery frame:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPLYYCkS0Y[/youtube]

Six axis Kuka Robot in demo mode:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcrcZHnDMRo[/youtube]

Tesla Model-S Beta Test Ride:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pq2TNk6MjY[/youtube]

Over 2,000 test drives were expected:

Click to enlarge

Reportedly largest press in North America:

Click to enlarge

Model S unveiling on October 1 in Fremont, CA:

Click to enlarge

Final assembly:

Click to enlarge

Elon deciding what music to play:

Click to enlarge

More test ride videos. Chris, anything to report from the event?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZN-cUdi36M[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJKws1E3heM[/youtube]

Some highlights are that a sport version will be avalible 0 - 60 in the 4 second range.

Its a lot quieter than the leaf, it doesn't have the jet like whine.

Oh also the charge port and charger don't look the same shape and size at the J1772 type the leaf uses. Ill post pictures of those tomorrow when I can get to a laptop.

chris1howell said:
Oh also the charge port and charger don't look the same shape and size at the J1772 type the leaf uses. Ill post pictures of those tomorrow when I can get to a laptop.
Maybe it looks like this (from Tesla Forum link above):
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Norbert!!!
Model S will come with UMC for 110 & 220. Adapter for Roadster owners.

Model S HVAC has more powerful compressor than Roadster. Should perform better in very high temps.

IPhone app to pre-heat Model S? Should be coming.

Sport option 0-60 in 4.4 seconds

Interchangeable batteries=no more range anxiety? Future possibility.

Unbelievable Tesla factory. The future will be parked in your garage pretty soon.

UMC charger is 40 amps. New HPC is also available. Roadster owners likely to have 2 different chargers. Adaptors to be available though.

Chargeport door opens automatically when charge plug approaches car. Otherwise open from touchscreen in car. J1772 adaptor available.
attachment.php

When the batteries are depleted, Tesla says even the 300-mile range Model S will be able to recharge from full to empty in under an hour thanks to its new direct current external charger. The 90 kilowatt units will be installed by Tesla at suitable rest-stop locations or hotels alongside arterial freeways such as I-5 between Canada and Mexico.

On-board AC charging will be dealt with through either a single 10 kilowatt charger or two 10 kilowatt chargers. Tesla says the two options were developed after it realized that many of its existing Tesla Roadster customers did not use the full capability of its 17 kilowatt on-board charger, recharging instead at a more sedate 7 kilowatts or less.
GreenCarReports.com

I was there and saw a few other LEAFs and Volts.

I was a bit disappointed and I will blame it on my LEAF :D

The Model S looks cool and boast high performance, but I think LEAF is more practical (for it's primary purpose).

In Model S, all the cool features like open roof, 7 seaters, air suspension are options. So the cost will be $60 K or more.

LEAF just makes more common sense to have. It is all electric, great family car and it's half the price of Tesla Model S.

Also, Model S will be available in July 2012 and it will be sometime in 2013 when it will really available to the mass. And I guess, by that time LEAF would come with a 150 mile range battery pack which I can upgrade to :D

Beautiful car ! I would like to own!

But remember the first several thousand are spoken for and will be the signature larger pack version with 300 mile range ~$85-90,000 to rich for me

later they will build 230mile and 160mile pack cars , only the 160 mile car has that 56,500 sticker and I doubt many if any will be that cheap

so those of us who see that 49,900 after rebate price and think Leaf or model S , think again its not really available to you, kinda like that nice looking for Focus EV. ;)

I have ordered a Leaf, and showed a picture of the Model S to my wife and said "this will be our next car"
She replied asking why we didn't just wait for it then.

Women just don't understand boys and toys do they...?

daggad said:
I have ordered a Leaf, and showed a picture of the Model S to my wife and said "this will be our next car"
She replied asking why we didn't just wait for it then.

Women just don't understand boys and toys do they...?

You can tell her because it's an unknown wait, probably not before the end of 2013 or maybe even into 2014. Tesla wants to sell the 300 mile versions, then the 240 mile versions, and finally the 160 miles models.

By the time the real "options" are added in, even the 160 mile version will cost twice the price of a Leaf, and they will probably have had price increases as well, as they realize they underpriced what the car is really going to cost them to mfr.

Time will tell, but the "$109K" roadster, well, none are really sold for less
than $140K

I love my LEAF but I want more range.

I was there Sunday. They repeated the event for the Bay Area crowd.

Certainly it was a great event for engineers since you got to talk to several engineers who are designing various parts of the car. They were very open about everything except the internals of the battery.

If you saw movies like "Minority Report" the factory is similar to the Audi factory shown in the movie.

It did seem Tesla is hard at work to find ways to option the car to $90,000 and beyond. They have added air suspension, larger motor, sun roof, 40 A or 70 A charger etc. options already with more to come.

I really want a Model S to be my next electric car, but I don't know if I will be able to afford one any time soon. To justify the upgrade from the Leaf, I would need the long range model so it could be a weekend road tripper, but then you start pushing $80K. And I don't have $5000 laying around that I can put as a long term deposit.

It's just hard to justify paying over $50K for any car, let alone a car that has limitations.

Great thread! Thank You for sharing. I have a very strong feeling that I will be seeing alot of these in my area. They are expensive but so is every other car around here in south OC. The era of the Prestige EV is almost here. I think it's great.

JustinC said:
I really want a Model S to be my next electric car, but I don't know if I will be able to afford one any time soon. To justify the upgrade from the Leaf, I would need the long range model so it could be a weekend road tripper, but then you start pushing $80K. And I don't have $5000 laying around that I can put as a long term deposit.

It's just hard to justify paying over $50K for any car, let alone a car that has limitations.

If you want the 300 mile pack version, and you don't want to wait a very long time, you need to come up with a $40K deposit, to be one of the 1,000 "Signature" editions being produced first... $5K, is the normal get to the back of the line deposit :)

Until Tesla comes up with a compact/mid-size car, I won't buy one. S is really huge for us. BMW i3 is at the top of my next EV list for now.

Who here thinks, S will be released on time ?

evnow said:
Until Tesla comes up with a compact/mid-size car, I won't buy one. S is really huge for us. BMW i3 is at the top of my next EV list for now.

Who here thinks, S will be released on time ?

Since you asked for speculation, here is my view:

I think they will be on time, but that they will only be selling the signature editions in the first year, and it will take the entire first year to complete the signature series. Elon understands that he must get the cars out the door to be successful, even if it means additional warranty work down the road. They did the same thing with the first year roadsters.

Second year sales will probably still only be highly optioned 300 mile series cars. It may take a while before we see the 160 mile "car for the masses".

Back