Tesla to J1772 Adaptor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryKaplan

Is it worth buying one of them -- please click link (or a similar model)? From what I see, this wouldn’t work at one of Tesla’s roadside superchargers, but at standard chargers you would find at a mall, public garage or hotel. However those locations usually have J1772 anyway that work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Security-Charging-Destination-Chargers/dp/B0BQMCTMG2/ref=asc_df_B0BQMCTMG2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647233800628&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2141144037756052245&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030964&hvtargid=pla-1957324949740&psc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ZWkBhA4EiwAVJXwqdlJyZxGF40_BYW4ZGrRC90gMVMmPWZyWwh9GvUQhBwmlWsCwDKL9hoClWkQAvD_BwE&fbclid=IwAR1G3rkzJe_03ycu3ZOQGmG9gE6_ANAZmnyl7B-xu-JIP22zUaviWhYoHik

LarryKaplan said:
Is it worth buying one of them

That depends on your situation. If your car uses a J1772 plug and you often find yourself in need of using a public charging station that has a Tesla (NACS) plug, then you may benefit from using this adapter. Also, if you happen to get a Tesla home or portable EVSE (with Tesla plug), then this adapter should be good too.

As for myself, I have no need for this adapter. I very rarely come across Tesla plugs.

I've yet to use mine, but my thought was that if it prevented just one occurrence of being stranded with an empty battery it would be well worth it.

I've been driving BEVs as my primary car since end of July 2013 (my 1st Leaf, that was leased). For me, it's not worth it. But you and your situation aren't the same as mine.

There are caveats as to whether it'll even work at a random Tesla wall connector/"destination charger" that you see, assuming it isn't broken. See https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=624806#p624806.

However, if I no longer had access to free L2 juice at work nor 19 cent per kWh L2 and DC FC near home BUT, I knew of Tesla wall connectors that work (e.g. not blocked (see above) or w/compat problems), then it might be worth it if it could suck down enough free juice to pay for the adapter...

One public charging location near home has about 20 gen 3 WCs with NACS + 4 Tesla J1772 EVSEs but for now, it's not worth my time hanging out there for long. A Taycan driver I know (former Bolt driver) has succeeded in using his Tesla to J1772 adapter there several times in the past.

LarryKaplan said:
Is it worth buying one of them --

I've bought one, and used it three time. Once just to try it out, once as a hotel had a J1772 and a TPC, and the J1772 was in use. And once at a hotel with two J1772, one in use and one down, and three TPCs, all available.

So expect it to be useful, oh once every three years or so. Doesn't make financial sense, but might save some time and bother.

I bought one for our cabin. We now have Teslas and sold our J1772 EVSEs on eBay. So now we have Tesla Mobile Connectors (EVSE). The cabin is in a gated community 30 miles from nowhere. On the off chance that someone other than a Tesla Owner needs a charge with a J1772 car I can offer them help.

The Cabin is in a remote gated community. Last year a older lady pulled up the the guard gate with less than 5% left with her daughters Bolt. 5% was not going to get her anywhere near a charger. The gate guard called me to see if I could help knowing we owned an EV.

I had her drive to our cabin and plugged her into our J1772 Nissan EVSE at the time and let her charge for 90 minutes. Then directed her to the DC Chargers at the FL Turnpike, 25 miles away which was on her way to Miami to top off.

I haven't used the J1772 to Tesla adaptor yet but it's there just in case. We have friends with Mach-Es and Leafs, so you never know when it will come in handy. I also have a 14-50R outlet at the cabin for the RV in case it's needed.

Edit:
Just as a side note, yesterday after a trip we arrived at the house with 20% left on our Tesla Model Y Long range. I was just going to plug in at the house but decided to drive over to the Tesla SuperCharger about 8 miles from the house and plugged in. It's a V3 Tesla Supercharger. I have 10,000 miles of free super charging with the purchase so why not? I plugged into the V3 and the initial charge was outputting 246 kW, 1020 mi/hr while charging. WOW! 4 minutes later it was at 35% and it was charging at 718 mi/hr. It continued to taper down as it was charging and after 25 minutes it reached 80%. So it took 25 minutes to add 198 miles of range going from 20%-80%

While charging I watched an episode of Seinfeld on the Teala screen using Netflix.

Flyct said:
. I have 10,000 miles of free super charging with the purchase so why not?

For one, because high kW charging is harder on the battery than L2 charging. I view ^^ that sort of thing as penny wise, but time and pound foolish. It also has the potential to delay EVs that are on road trips if you take up a space at a congested location or reduce charging speed for others due to power sharing.

The 'Golden Rule' applies here

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

For one, because high kW charging is harder on the battery than L2 charging. I view ^^ that sort of thing as pennywise, but time and pound foolish. It also has the potential to delay EVs that are on road trips if you take up a space at a congested location or reduce charging speed for others due to power sharing.

I have yet to see a Florida Tesla supercharger site with any cars waiting for a unused charger stall.

It was not congested at all. There were only half of the stalls using the super chargers that evening. Plus these were 250 kW V3 chargers without any load sharing. You can tell where chargers load share because they are numbers 1a,1b, 2a, 2b etc instead of 1,2,3,4

It started a 243 kWs and then tapered down as the battery went over 50%. Tesla sets the software and hardware to temperature condition the battery reducing any degradation due to high charging, not like a Nissan Leaf. Battery cooling and heating kicks in to prevent battery harm. Not like Nissan. Hopefully Nissan Ariya has similar charging profiles and protection.

This was the first and only time I did a charge from 20 to 80% at a supercharger. The few other times yjsy I used a Supercharger I only added maybe 20% to get to 50% and get home with lots of extra range.

This week I replaced my J1772 hard wired 30 amp output charger with a hard wired Tesla Wall Connector/Charger wired with a 60 amp 240v line that outputs 48 amps to the car.

I have yet to see a Florida Tesla supercharger site with any cars waiting for a unused charger stall.

16 Tesla supercharger stalls in Brattleboro Vermont, I occasionally see one or 2 cars there and once saw 4! leaving a minimum of 12 for drive-ins......

Flyct said:
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

For one, because high kW charging is harder on the battery than L2 charging. I view ^^ that sort of thing as pennywise, but time and pound foolish. It also has the potential to delay EVs that are on road trips if you take up a space at a congested location or reduce charging speed for others due to power sharing.

It was not congested at all. There were only half of the stalls using the super chargers that evening. Plus these were 250 kW V3 chargers without any load sharing. You can tell where chargers load share because they are numbers 1a,1b, 2a, 2b etc instead of 1,2,3,4

Do you think more EVs may come to Florida in the future ? What you know from the past will surely not always be true in the future so adopting habits that are considerate of others is a good thing [TM]

V3 also load share, but in groups of 4 rather than two, and they are not labeled.

Battery warming is a mitigation, not a complete solution. Even a Tesla pack will suffer more degradation Supercharging that it will from L2 charging. How much is a source of never ending debate, and Tesla is not talking. One hint is that after a certain number of fast charging episodes, Tesla nerfs the car to a lower max charging speed.

I picked up one of these adapters.

Partially, like a few others in this thread have said, as insurance (a just-in-case scenario).

But the main reason is that my daughter won a raffle at Hot Bins for a Lectron L1/L2 tesla EVSE. :shock:

I keep the Tesla EVSE with adapter in my Leaf, the original Nissan L1 EVSE inside the front door at home, and I have a Juicebox Pro 40 mounted in the garage.

Keeps me covered and then if I'm out and about I can lend a hand to any other EV owner in need, regardless of EVSE type.

Did your Tesla not come with the J1772 adapter? I had heard all Teslas were supposed to come with the adapter but maybe yours was used or you no longer had yours? just curious.

jjeff said:
Did your Tesla not come with the J1772 adapter? I had heard all Teslas were supposed to come with the adapter but maybe yours was used or you no longer had yours? just curious.

If you were talking to me, I don't have a Tesla.

Just a Tesla EVSE (I likely, mistakenly, called it a "charger" in my previous post).

Flyct said:
jjeff said:

FYI, My 2 Teslas came with J1772 Adapters
Thanks, yes it does sound like all previous and new Teslas come with the adapter, I was just curious why schnitzeraffe was purchasing one but it sounds like he didn't even have a Tesla but was just being a good samaritan in case he ran into a Tesla driver that needed one and didn't have their adapter with, which is nice :)

jjeff said:
Flyct said:
jjeff said:

FYI, My 2 Teslas came with J1772 Adapters
Thanks, yes it does sound like all previous and new Teslas come with the adapter, I was just curious why schnitzeraffe was purchasing one but it sounds like he didn't even have a Tesla but was just being a good samaritan in case he ran into a Tesla driver that needed one and didn't have their adapter with, which is nice :)

New Teslas come with a J1772 -> Tesla adapter
@schnitzeraffe bought a Tesla -> J1772 adapter to go along with his Tesla EVSE

I didn't know that Lectron sells Tesla EVSEs but here ya go: https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-level-2-charger-16a-32a-with-modular-plug-nema-5-15-14-50-portable-charger-compatible-with-tesla-model-s-model-x-model-3-and-model-y-1.

Fwiw, I did much the same for my Bolt. I bought a Tesla mobile EVSE, a Tesla-> J1772 adapter, and a set of cap ("plug") adapters for the EVSE. I was not trying to be a good citizen like schnitzeraffe; my intent was to be able to use any public L2 EVSE or a variety of receptacles. In areas with poor EV charging infrastructure, I thought it would be useful to be able to use any receptacle provisions at private AirBnB I might stay at overnight. Both the Bolt and LEAF provided EVSE are limited to L1@15Amps and L2 at a 14-50 receptacle

*** PSA
Unlike the Tesla supplied receptacle adapters for use with its mobile EVSE, 3rd part adapters will typically not negotiate safe Amp rates. So e.g. if the car can pull 40A max and the EVSE 40A max, it is up to the customer to buy an adapter that is safe for 40A. Buying a lesser rated adapter opens the risk of adapter overheating in those situations where the other devices are able to pull higher current. BE CAREFUL HERE, not only can equipment be damaged, but fire can result.

Back