Test-drove Nissan Leaf EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the brake diagram. Why would it require changing more frequently? Shouldn't it be zero, like a transmission?

Yes the Leaf is a very nice car, and I'm really tempted to buy it since it was fun to drive, but my practical side kicks in. Too much cost. Bad battery. Works on current commute but would not have worked on my previous three commutes (90-120 miles roundtrip). As for gas stations, my favorite comment about my Insight is: "We passed you several times but you still beat us to this rest stop. How did that happen?" Answer: I didn't have to stop for gas.

TomT said:
And if you read the service schedule, that is only recommended under the severe schedule. No one operates a EV under severe.
I don't see how you can claim that based on the definitions given in the Service Maintenance Guide:
Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you primarily operate your electric vehicle under conditions other than those listed in Schedule 1.

Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your electric vehicle under any of these conditions:
  • Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
  • Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low speed driving for long distances
  • Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
  • Using a car-top carrier
You are not allowed to make up your own definition of "severe". By Nissan's definition (which is not really for "severe" but for "more severe than Schedule 2"), it seems that there must be many LEAFs that should be following Schedule 1. That includes my own, since I make lots of trips of less than 5 miles. (And, yes, I did have the brake fluid flush at one year.)

Ray

Very simply. Those conditions were lifted straight out of an ICE manual and most of them are irrelevant and make no difference on an EV because the reason for them does not exist on an EV. If you want to throw your money away, that is your prerogative, but it IS unnecessary.

planet4ever said:
TomT said:
And if you read the service schedule, that is only recommended under the severe schedule. No one operates a EV under severe.
I don't see how you can claim that based on the definitions given in the Service Maintenance Guide:

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water. This lowers the boiling point and causes corrosion. That is why it needs to be changed from time to time in any non-sealed braking system (which virtually all automotive systems are). You can tell if your fluid actually needs changing by either using a test strip or a DVM. Regardless, every three years is usually more than often enough.

theaveng said:
I don't understand the brake diagram. Why would it require changing more frequently? Shouldn't it be zero, like a transmission?

Even so there's no reason to change the Leaf brake fluid 3x more often.

•Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures. (This only applies to gas/diesel engines because they don't have time to hear-up and the water vapors accumulate in the engine and catalyst. An EV has neither.)

•Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low speed driving for long distances. (This might have relevance because it wears the Leaf's brakes faster, but only this one.)

•Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads. (Engines injest air to burn fuel. Motors do not. Nonrelevant.)

Back