The Speeding Ticket Thread - Confess Your Sins

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
...But what do I know I've accidentally out-accelerated porsches in my minivan without even trying...

LOL... yeah, when they're next to the curb w/ no one in them, that doesn't count.

I got hit with a 44 in a 30, had accelerated fast from the light and went to coast mode, playing with N to get me to the top of the small hill at the posted speed limit. Cop was at the top of the hill, and walked into the middle of the street to wave me over. This in early morning lighting, and him in dark blue, no helmet. This is an area under a freeway, so it was way safe, even the cop said I was going just a little too fast. I will likely talk to a judge to see if I can get the ticket reduced.

An Highway Patrol officer started to pull me over the other day. I saw him pull out after I went by, and while I was speeding a little, I was with traffic (70 in the carpool lane 65 posted). He pulls to my right, looks in at me, drops behind and hits the lights. I pull out of the carpool lane and he pulls up on my left, signaling me to roll my window down. Turns out he hadn't seen my stickers that allow me to be in the carpool lane! Made my day when he drove away.

TonyWilliams said:
travisty said:
Did they take this speed governor off the 2012 model?

Speed is governed the same on 2011 and 2012; 10,300 motor RPM equals about 94mph with an 8:1 reduction gearset.

I wanted to see what would happen at the limiter, so I found a empty stretch of downhill interstate to test it out. Turns out it didn't take very long to hit 94. Watching the energy usage screen, I had the accelerator all the way, and it was reading the full 80kW. However, as soon as I hit 94mph, the energy usage dropped to about 40kW with the pedal still pressed in all the way (obviously limited by the CPU).

It was not a violent "governor" type of reaction I was expecting (I guess hitting the governor at 156 in a Z is bound to be a little more violet!), instead it was very smooth.

No need for me to drive that fast anymore; I just had to do it once :lol: So I confessed my sin, even though I didn't get a ticket.

GRA said:
Here's some:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1108_2011_chevrolet_volt_vs_2011_nissan_leaf_vs_2011_toyota_prius_comparison/viewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Road_tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also google Car & Driver or Consumer Reports for their test results.

Thanks for the link. The numbers don't look that impressive, but somehow it seems faster. Maybe its the lack of shifting.

Ahhhh let's see; 56 years of driving and 54 years of flying:

'50 hot-wired Oldsmobile Convertible joy-riding with a buddy down Madison Avenue in San Diego; Age 12; Ticket (70 in a 30), ticket +whipping, yep;
'50 Kaiser Traveler driving legally; speeding on Madison Avenue, San Diego; Age 16; Ticket (50 in a 30), + stern lecture, check;
'50 Jag XK-120; Ft. Knox, KY; Age 18, Military Police Ticket (100 in a 45), check; $55.00 plus 14-days extra duty by my company commander;
M38 Jeep Ft Rucker, AL, Age 18, 40 in a 15 off road area, Military Police Ticket, 1 month's paycheck + extra duty;

1962 to 2005 Never caught (includes Jag XKE-12; Porsche 911S; Datsun 240Z; Datsun 280Z; Honda 305 Motorcycle; Olds 442 coupe; Chevy Impala Convertible w/409; AMC Matador with 350 V8;

Flying things don't count - only speed limit in the air is mechanical stuff and physics, so to speak.

2005 - '78 Porsche 928S 135 in a 70; Tennessee was not kind to me at all even though I slowed it waaaaay down when I saw the nice trooper.

Since then I have been as pure as the driven snow. At my age, driving fast is a nice, warm, memory; after age 50 you loose all kinds of reaction time -- one of a couple of reasons I don't drive airplanes anymore.

I admit, I did take the LEAF up to the max the hour I left the Dealership. In my case, I went pedal to the metal and the speed indicator showed a "--" after it went to 95 MPH. Must have had a tail wind.

Lessons learned in a long life of driving road vehicles and flying aeroplanes: Don't drink anything before driving or flying, you might kill someone else; your own self doesn't matter. Don't overdrive yourself; we all have built in limits. When you are going like really fast and that little voice says "dude! you are going too effing fast" -- Listen to it. Know your limits in everything; drinking alcohol; latte's; green herbal tee, birkenstocks; tantric sex, and so forth.

Preaching off.

Cheers,

Dave

Electric4Me said:
DavidV said:
84 mph per LIDAR the other day. :oops: :shock: :oops:

I guess a testament to how smooth and quiet the Leaf is.

-- DavidV :D
I bet you were on I-280 David...

-Bill

You know me all too well. The missus wasn't amused.

CWO4Mann said:
Ahhhh let's see; 56 years of driving and 54 years of flying:

'50 hot-wired Oldsmobile Convertible joy-riding with a buddy down Madison Avenue in San Diego; Age 12; Ticket (70 in a 30), ticket +whipping, yep;
'50 Kaiser Traveler driving legally; speeding on Madison Avenue, San Diego; Age 16; Ticket (50 in a 30), + stern lecture, check;
'50 Jag XK-120; Ft. Knox, KY; Age 18, Military Police Ticket (100 in a 45), check; $55.00 plus 14-days extra duty by my company commander;
M38 Jeep Ft Rucker, AL, Age 18, 40 in a 15 off road area, Military Police Ticket, 1 month's paycheck + extra duty;

1962 to 2005 Never caught (includes Jag XKE-12; Porsche 911S; Datsun 240Z; Datsun 280Z; Honda 305 Motorcycle; Olds 442 coupe; Chevy Impala Convertible w/409; AMC Matador with 350 V8;

Flying things don't count - only speed limit in the air is mechanical stuff and physics, so to speak.

2005 - '78 Porsche 928S 135 in a 70; Tennessee was not kind to me at all even though I slowed it waaaaay down when I saw the nice trooper.

Since then I have been as pure as the driven snow. At my age, driving fast is a nice, warm, memory; after age 50 you loose all kinds of reaction time -- one of a couple of reasons I don't drive airplanes anymore.

I admit, I did take the LEAF up to the max the hour I left the Dealership. In my case, I went pedal to the metal and the speed indicator showed a "--" after it went to 95 MPH. Must have had a tail wind.

Lessons learned in a long life of driving road vehicles and flying aeroplanes: Don't drink anything before driving or flying, you might kill someone else; your own self doesn't matter. Don't overdrive yourself; we all have built in limits. When you are going like really fast and that little voice says "dude! you are going too effing fast" -- Listen to it. Know your limits in everything; drinking alcohol; latte's; green herbal tee, birkenstocks; tantric sex, and so forth.

Preaching off.

Cheers,

Dave

Now....here's my kinda man! You've had some awesome machines over your driving career. Too bad gasoline isn't 29.9c a gallon anymore, eh? But I must correct you regarding speed limits in the air. I believe the maximum speed limit below 10,000ft (within the Continental US) is 250K IAS, unless otherwise authorized by Air Traffic Control. When working at LAX Tower, I once authorized a higher speed for AF1 (that's the president), at his request, because he was late; and the press, etc, etc, were cooling their heels on the ramp waiting for him. Yup---rank has its privileges. :mrgreen:

derkraut said:
CWO4Mann said:
But I must correct you regarding speed limits in the air. I believe the maximum speed limit below 10,000ft (within the Continental US) is 250K IAS, unless otherwise authorized by Air Traffic Control. When working at LAX Tower, I once authorized a higher speed for AF1 (that's the president), at his request, because he was late; and the press, etc, etc, were cooling their heels on the ramp waiting for him. Yup---rank has its privileges. :mrgreen:

Were you a PATCO guy until Aug 1981? My ATC days were ZOA (Oakland Center), SCT (San Diego, SoCal TRACON), and CMA. We used to work the SR71 at ZOA... about 1800kts over the ground.

Yes, of course, there are numerous speed limits... 200kt in a airport traffic area, 250kts in Class B and below 10,000ft, 200 kts under class B, etc.

There are operational limits that prevent a heavy B747, for instance, from complying with 250kt below 10,000, or they'd have to drag the flaps on the climb out.

CWO4Mann said:
Since then I have been as pure as the driven snow. <snip>

I admit, I did take the LEAF up to the max the hour I left the Dealership. <snip>

Cheers,Dave
Uhhh, Dave, I think that would be "since then I have been pure as the driven slush!" :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
derkraut said:
CWO4Mann said:
But I must correct you regarding speed limits in the air. I believe the maximum speed limit below 10,000ft (within the Continental US) is 250K IAS, unless otherwise authorized by Air Traffic Control. When working at LAX Tower, I once authorized a higher speed for AF1 (that's the president), at his request, because he was late; and the press, etc, etc, were cooling their heels on the ramp waiting for him. Yup---rank has its privileges. :mrgreen:

Were you a PATCO guy until Aug 1981? My ATC days were ZOA (Oakland Center), SCT (San Diego, SoCal TRACON), and CMA. We used to work the SR71 at ZOA... about 1800kts over the ground.

Yes, of course, there are numerous speed limits... 200kt in a airport traffic area, 250kts in Class B and below 10,000ft, 200 kts under class B, etc.

There are operational limits that prevent a heavy B747, for instance, from complying with 250kt below 10,000, or they'd have to drag the flaps on the climb out.

Interesting! I forgot about the ATC limit. Not often you get a rotary wing to travel +200kts unless you lose the jesus nut and the rotor or you're driving a Westland Lynx at close to Vne speed (you hit Vne and your wings start flapping, so to speak and you stall and fall. Of course, driving the Lynx you have to do everything from the right-hand seat (it's British, you know :lol: ) ... Of cars I think I liked the Jaguar XK-120 the best. I had a drophead coupe, brilliant red and it was the "S" version with three solex down draft carbs. Of course, synchronizing the carbs was an arcane science which require sacrifices of roosters, divining of entrails and dressing in women's elastic underware. Just can't beat that old Jag straight six; the XKE-12 burned a quart of 50 weight every 100 miles but was very smooth -- virtually no vibration even at Vmax. The Kaiser had a Continental Red Seal straight 6 and had enough torque to pull the rear axle off if you got too busy with the clutch and three on the tree. Oh and for the ATC guys --- how about SAN on a foggy early morning when incoming a/c are doing 360's on the El Cortez Hotel (well, figuratively speaking). Around 1957 or so, I watched a B-36 land at SAN with three on the starboard side feathered, all four burners burning black smoke with water injection and the three port engines practically throwing rods out of those CornCob engines trying to stay at Vmax so they could get it to the ground in one piece. That was fairly exciting. Right after that I told my dad I wanted to take flying lessons; he had me talk to his friend Eddie Wheeler, who was a B17 tail gunner and I heard about the time Mr. Wheeler felt a blast of air and turned around to find that the tail, his gun turret and he had been blown off the airplane by German Flak. He spent 2 years in a POW camp. 3 years later I got behind the wheel of a Cessna 140.

Now see what you all did! You got me off the track. Now what happened to that Thread we were working on???

Cheers,

Dave

I must confess my sin. I'm mocked ... no ... 'regularly' mocked ... for driving the speed limit, and no faster. I confess. I confess that once I learned how to allow enough time to get places with time to spare, I get there with little or no stress. I confess. I confess that when the CHP come up behind me, I no longer feel the panic. I no longer wonder it it's me. I no longer have to look down to check the speedometer. And I even confess that I feel a bit of glee, when I see the CHP has pulled over the psycho lane changer (endangering all those being passed) who managed to thread through the heavy traffic all around the rest of us ... just 2 minutes earlier. I confess glee ... but I would NEVER smirk as I see the ticket book come out for the speeders. Oh ... and I must also confess ... the last confession was a lie.
:D

hill said:
I must confess my sin. I'm mocked ... no ... 'regularly' mocked ... for driving the speed limit, and no faster. I confess. I confess that once I learned how to allow enough time to get places with time to spare, I get there with little or no stress. I confess. I confess that when the CHP come up behind me, I no longer feel the panic. I no longer wonder it it's me. I no longer have to look down to check the speedometer. And I even confess that I feel a bit of glee, when I see the CHP has pulled over the psycho lane changer (endangering all those being passed) who managed to thread through the heavy traffic all around the rest of us ... just 2 minutes earlier. I confess glee ... but I would NEVER smirk as I see the ticket book come out for the speeders. Oh ... and I must also confess ... the last confession was a lie.
:D

What of anything you just posted have anything to do w/ this thread?

Caracalover said:
...I will likely talk to a judge to see if I can get the ticket reduced...

About a month ago I got hit with a 62 in a 40. Since I successfully fought and won my last four speeding tickets with my 350Z (in a 7 year span), I am in the middle of fighting this one too.

Never talk to a judge in person. Fight your ticket using trial by mail with a written declaration. Not only is there a higher success rate (I'm 7/7 with 6 using radar/laser), but if you lose you can still go to traffic school or get a second trial (trial de novo). You also can ask for a reduced bail amount.

No ticket from it, but the first time I had the Hertz rental LEAF out on April 2, 2011, after several miles in Manhattan traffic I made it to the relatively open Palisades Parkway. As I accelerated up the on-ramp, I was focused on smoothly merging in ahead of a car already on the Parkway. When I looked down at the speedo I found I was going 70 mph (in a 55 mph zone), unaccustomed to the smooth, continuous acceleration and lack of shifting cues. After less than my first 15 miles of LEAF driving I realized that I'd have to be watching the speedo more carefully in the this car. But what a great driving experience those first 50 miles were that day...

z0ner said:
Caracalover said:

:arrow: Never talk to a judge in person. Fight your ticket using trial by mail with a written declaration. Not only is there a higher success rate (I'm 7/7 with 6 using radar/laser), but if you lose you can still go to traffic school or get a second trial (trial de novo). You also can ask for a reduced bail amount.

Quoted for truth.

z0ner said:
Caracalover said:

About a month ago I got hit with a 62 in a 40. Since I successfully fought and won my last four speeding tickets with my 350Z (in a 7 year span), I am in the middle of fighting this one too.

Never talk to a judge in person. Fight your ticket using trial by mail with a written declaration. Not only is there a higher success rate (I'm 7/7 with 6 using radar/laser), but if you lose you can still go to traffic school or get a second trial (trial de novo). You also can ask for a reduced bail amount.

Just wanted to update the thread. Got my $360.00 speeding ticket REFUND check from the County of Orange today. That makes me 5/5 using the same procedures and argument for radar entrapment.

Back