Thinking of leasing Nissan Leaf S...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafmore

Couple of questions;

My commute is 50 miles round trip. 110/240v available at home. No charger at work, yet (working on that).

How long does "Leaf S" charge on standard 110v charger?
Can the regular charger be upgraded (through the site advertied) for Leaf S, or does this depend on the car internals as well?

Thank you,

How long the charge takes depends, of course, on what your battery level is when you start and how much you want to charge. From turtle to 100%, L1 charging would take a long time, like +-20 hours.

My commute is 36 mile round trip, which takes my battery from 80% to about 40%. I have been L1 charging for three weeks without a problem. The car usually starts charging around 9-10 at night and finishes before 7:30 a.m. For your commute L1 would likely work as long as you have 12+hours at home.

Once you buy the car you can't change the charger. The 2013 Leaf S comes standard with a slower, 3.6kWh on board charger. To get the upgraded charger you need the charge package, which includes the 6.6, quick charge port, and some other stuff.

leafmore said:
That requires the SV model?
No, the 6 kW charger (built in to the car) is standard on the SV and SL models, but is an option for the S model. As Boourns said, it is part of the "Charge Package" option for the S model.

But if you are charging at 120v it makes no difference whether you have the 3.3 kW charger or the 6 kW charger. They both pull only 1.4 kW from the wall and feed just over 1 kW to the battery.

You referred to a "standard 110v charger". There is no such thing. Either charger (again, built into the car) will accept both 100-120v and 200-240v. I believe you were talking about the Level 1 EVSE which comes with the car. At your home it would almost certainly be feeding 120v (not 110v) to the car. You will also not be getting "a charger at work". That would be a Level 2 EVSE, running at either 208v or 240v depending on the electrical power available there.

Ray

Yes sorry -- the EVSE is what I was referring to. I spoke with Nissan dealer.. they can't find an S model for the $199/month lease deal...

leafmore said:
Yes sorry -- the EVSE is what I was referring to. I spoke with Nissan dealer.. they can't find an S model for the $199/month lease deal...

They're either full of crap or pulling your leg. There are some sticky posts on the forum about prices at different dealers. Read through it, call around. You may/should wind up with a better deal than a base S for $199/month.

My commute is 50 miles round trip. I can do it on 120V as long as I come right home from work and plug in and leave it plugged in. Honestly, I could probably charge a little less, but I've got a 2 year lease and I want to have that extra "cushion". I leave for work with about 94% charge and get home with roughly 45%. When winter comes, I'm sure that number will go down. However, I'm not happy with having to leave it in the garage all night. I just sent my EVSE to EVSEupgrade.com and they make it able to use L2 (220V) charging. It's at the post office waiting for me to pick it up, I can't wait!

I figured they are yanking my chain, and gauging me. The same goes for Ford dealers, and their Electric Focus.

My commute is 50 miles round trip also. I charge (for free) at a charger about 2 blocks from where I work,so I charge only there, not at home. This has been working fine for the 5 months that I have had the car. On weekends I mostly drive my truck.

On the few occasions that I need to top off at home the ESVE which comes with the car has been fine.

Note that this has been mostly in warmer weather, I got the car in March (Boston Area).

leafmore said:

Some dealers refuse to offer anything but that $199/3 year lease. The one near me who did that also told me that all other leases are 'Third Party leases, not Nissan leases.' It's not true, so they must have some other reason for refusing, possibly a desire to not sell any more Leafs than Nissan makes them sell...

Regarding availability of the "S" model, my dealer has said the same thing. They can get "SV" and "SL" models, but no "S". It appears that the demand is so great for that $199/mo. lease that Nissan is perhaps limiting the number available in order to increase profits from the other models. In either event we got one of the first LEAFs to enter the country from Japan (#404). We wanted to support EVs and so we have paid dearly for being one of the early adopters. Our lease is $356/mo. and that is after a hefty trade-in plus some cash. Thus, we will be happy when our lease expires and we can get an "SV" or "SL" with a lower monthly lease payment. So the glass may really be half full.

leafmore said:
...My commute is 50 miles round trip. 110/240v available at home. No charger at work, yet (working on that).
That's the limit of the maximum range you can drive on L1 (120V x 12 am = 1.44 KW which get you about 1.2 KW into the battery). This doesn't depend on the model, they all charge the same on L1. If you choose this route, you'll need to charge the second you get home all the way until you leave the next morning. It might be tough in the winter or you'll need to drive slower and be a good hypermiler.

leafmore said:
...How long does "Leaf S" charge on standard 110v charger?
about 21 hr from completely dead. However, if you start completely full Mon morning, you might only need 16 hr to replace what you used to drive to work that day.

leafmore said:
Can the regular charger be upgraded (through the site advertied) for Leaf S, or does this depend on the car internals as well?
I'm not sure what you mean here. The Leaf can be equipted with either the 3.3 KW or 6.0 KW charger at the factory. This only applies to charging with 240 V electricity (called L2) and is either 16Amp or 30Amp. You should try to match your L2 charging station to the charger that comes with the car. If you only drive 50 mi, then it's not a big deal. The L2-16amp will replace those 50 mi in just a couple of hours (maybe 3-4hr) which should be plenty of time unless you don't sleep much. The L2-30amp will replace those 50 mi in maybe two hours or less. This is great for when you're out at a movie/concert/shopping/out after dinner etc but doesn't really make much sense at home while sleeping.

I really want to Lease one, but the dealer is not budging on the price, and does not want to honor the Nissan advertised $250/month for the SV model. He says he has "quickcharge, and led" package in his, and floor mats... They are asking $450/month 0 down....

leafmore said:
I really want to Lease one, but the dealer is not budging on the price, and does not want to honor the Nissan advertised $250/month for the SV model. He says he has "quickcharge, and led" package in his, and floor mats... They are asking $450/month 0 down....

I would find another dealer. That's more than I pay for my SV with quck charge + LED package and premium package. I put nothing down and also had about $2000 in negative equity from my previous ICE car lease.

I picked up a loaded SL, every option but the Bose stereo upgrade and backup camera.

I didn't pay the acquistion fee, and I had them remove the turn in deposition fee, a $325 rebate.

Two year lease, all I wanted....I paid title and tags and first month.

Monthly lease is $310.00

leafmore said:
$200 a month difference is ridiculous, but you will want the floor mats. Either that or rubber floor mats, which I prefer. The sprayed on "carpet" that comes for the base price might last a month or two.

Ray

leafmore said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: <----- That would be my reaction to the dealership. I have an SL, put down $1999 and pay $249/month, including all taxes and fees (it's around $220 without taxes).

Shop around...shop nationwide if you have to. You'll find a dealer who will give you a good offer.

Back