Tire Advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
What is the requirement for tires on a lease turnback? Do they just have to be not worn out?
No ... they want them in reasonable shape. In paragraph 20 ("Excessive Wear and Use"), our lease -- in part -- says: "... any tire not part of a matching set ... ... or tires with less than 1/8" of tread remaining at the shallowest point ..."

Legally worn out is 3/32 so they only require 1/32 over that...

LEAFer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
What is the requirement for tires on a lease turnback? Do they just have to be not worn out?
No ... they want them in reasonable shape. In paragraph 20 ("Excessive Wear and Use"), our lease -- in part -- says: "... any tire not part of a matching set ... ... or tires with less than 1/8" of tread remaining at the shallowest point ..."

TomT said:
Legally worn out is 3/32 so they only require 1/32 over that...

LEAFer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

True, but it says "shallowest point" and at the 2nd annual service on 1/19 the dealer recorded on the paperwork: 5/32 on all 4 tires installed less than 6 weeks prior !!! (They start at 10/32 according to tirerack.com.) I haven't had time yet to go back and "rectify" this discrepancy ... just saying, be careful out there :roll:

I wanted to give a progress report since it's been about 5000 miles since I replaced the stock Ecopias with Nokian's eNTire.

The traction and handling are excellent, these seem to even be a bit quieter as well (although that may be because the Bridgestone tires were pretty well worn at 27k miles). I have had one puncture but the tire held enough air to allow me to get to the tire place for them to repair it. The tread appears to be holding up well, and these tires do have an 80k mile tread warranty, which is good.

On the other hand, I'm very disappointed in the rolling resistance of the eNTire. I used to regularly exceed 5 Mi/KWh on the Ecopias, now I'm lucky to break 4.5 over the course of a week. This is with inflating both tires to 42 psi, btw.

So as they say, YMMV...

stevewa said:
On the other hand, I'm very disappointed in the rolling resistance of the eNTire.
It really sucks that we don't have accurate rolling resistance data for tires... Then we wouldn't have to guess at what tires are good/bad.

The EU does it, but most EU tires are not available in the USA and it appears that even slight manufacturing differences can have big changes in rolling resistance.

California has some legislation to mandate rolling resistance information, but I don't know what happened to it.

Back