Tire Wear on Edges. Anybody else seeing this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
Tony, is that only on one tire?

Something is wrong or you are channeling Mario Andretti. Reminds me of the early days of FWD cars.. perhaps we may have to go to a 5000 miles rotation schedule.

The picture is only one tire :!:

Both front tires are wearing the same. They are now both on the rear (again).

Now that Leafs are showing up other places, it seems this isn't fixed yet. I try to keep my tires at 40 psi, but recently checked them and they were down to 30psi (as were my gas cars. Cold weather coming in). Anyway, just took our Leaf in for its six month checkup (6700 miles). The left front tire is severely worn along the left edge. The rest if the tire looks good. The other three tires looked new. Alignment is within spec. Our dealer is baffled and has a call in to the technicians in Tennessee. Has anyone come up with a cause for this?

I am anxiously awaiting an answer from others. My dealer just told me it was normal. I believe the alignment spec has changed once on the vehicle. I am willing to bet there will be another. The wear difference is subtle until it gets to a point that very few people can ignore and seems to begin to be noticeable around 3500 to 4000 miles. The fact that the dealer demo and my two cars all have the same issue as well as others tells me it is real.

I would take careful thread depth measurements and then increase tire pressure significantly above the recommended levels.. but perhaps it will require an alignment specs change from the factory.. maybe the Japanese designers were not expecting a (heavy) family sedan to be driven aggressively.

planet4ever said:
From Tire Pressure thread:
DarkStar said:
Per the Service Manual, it states that the TPMS light will come on at 28 psi. (Section WT: Road Wheels & Tires)
Ray

I got TPMS warning on a pretty cold morning a couple of weeks ago. As I drove and (presumably) heat from the tires made the cold air expand, the warning went away. Checked TP with my (admittedly) cheap (and therefore maybe inaccurate) tire pressure gauge a couple of days later and got an indicated 32lbs on each wheel.

I just got my leaf. My dealer told me not to use any type of tire shine type substance because it would compromise or degrade the tire. Is this common knowledge? I may have missed it on the site.

Tardis said:
I just got my leaf. My dealer told me not to use any type of tire shine type substance because it would compromise or degrade the tire. Is this common knowledge? I may have missed it on the site.

Blatently false information. Where do these "dealers" come up with this kind of asinine cr*p? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

derkraut said:
Blatently false information. Where do these "dealers" come up with this kind of asinine cr*p? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

There are some products (muriatic acid perhaps) that will damage the tires, so they are not 100% wrong.. you really should be safe and buy the "Nissan Leaf Shine in a Can" product from the parts dept.. its on special today at $49.99

Customers dont like to hear "I dont know", so many CS people will make stuff up to make you go away.. I blame the customers.

Nissan has had problems like this before and has changed the specs on other cars such as the Z... So, there is precedence for this. Unfortunately, the only readily alignable spec on the Leaf is front toe-in...

laalan said:
I believe the alignment spec has changed once on the vehicle. I am willing to bet there will be another.

turbo2ltr said:
but recently checked them and they were down to 30psi
And no TPMS warning?

No, no warning. Does the Leaf monitor actual tire pressure or just the difference to catch one low tire? All four tires were down. I'll have to keep a closer watch on them.

It does monitor actual pressure. The owners manual describes enough to be sure of that, and the service manual has more details.

They use the same radio frequency and receiver as the keyless entry system.

-Phil

Thurs night i punctured the sidewall of my tire. it was done in Sisters driveway. speed was less 3 mph and the TPMS immediately came on. the leak was a slow and took more than 5 minutes for the tire to actually go flat so it works well.

starting another thread on tire issues. wondering if anyone had a tire go out under relatively minor circumstances?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No tire issues at all here at 7,300 despite not having the tires rotated which makes me wonder if some of the issue is "dry turning".. Though only ~300 pounds heavier than a typical Prius, the LEAF is over 50% heavier (~1,200 pounds) than my previous car (an '01 Kia Rio). In other words, this is no lightweight vehicle. All that weight on the tires can easily wear down tires and lead to "chunking" if you're not consistent about only cranking the wheel while the car is in motion. Then again, I went through the Firestone recall routine so I can certainly understand that there might be a bad batch of tires out there.

Really wishing that my two-wheeled vehicles had TPMSs; I've run over more nails and screws on my motorcycle and scooter than I'd care to remember, and a TPMS would have helped me avoid the problem of realizing I couldn't steer very well until I was partway through the corner...

I am currently sitting at my local NissanMegaAutoPlatz.

I arrived at 0820 with a 3 X 1 cm chunk missing from my LF near the sidewall and a 1 cm wide strip running the width of my RF. The odo reads 2046 miles.

The LOL moment is that a service dude just came to me and said the the Nissan Tech Line was called and they know "nothing" about any tire problem.

Leaves all over the lot. I counted 10.

Clippy said:
I am currently sitting at my local NissanMegaAutoPlatz.

I arrived at 0820 with a 3 X 1 cm chunk missing from my LF near the sidewall and a 1 cm wide strip running the width of my RF. The odo reads 2046 miles.

The LOL moment is that a service dude just came to me and said the the Nissan Tech Line was called and they know "nothing" about any tire problem.

Leaves all over the lot. I counted 10.

Just an update.

The same service dude announced that Nissan won't commit to replacing the front tires. He claims he was told that they want to see photos of the offending areas before making a decision.

So the car was summarily returned to me with 24 miles on the GOM (After leaving it on for 4 hours. I gave it to them with 39), a grease spot on the armrest and "we'll get back to you" on my chunky tires.

The exact quote was "If you haven't heard from us by the first of the year, call us."

This incident has solved a lot of problems for me. If I wasn't in indentured servitude for the $5K rebate and my free charger, this buggy would be gone, gone, gone.

Clippy said:
So the car was summarily returned to me with 24 miles on the GOM (After leaving it on for 4 hours. I gave it to them with 39), a grease spot on the armrest and "we'll get back to you" on my chunky tires.
You've got a crappy dealer.

Clippy said:
If I wasn't in indentured servitude for the $5K rebate and my free charger, this buggy would be gone, gone, gone.
There's no issues with returning the rebate or leaving the EV project should you choose to do so.

drees said:
You've got a crappy dealer.

This is the same dealer that took three tries to change the oil correctly in my Mazda5.

drees said:
There's no issues with returning the rebate or leaving the EV project should you choose to do so.

Paying back the rebate and charger installation cost is not something I wish to do. So I'll just change all four tires and continue to drive it until the requirements are satisfied. Can't drive it much less than I'm driving it now. If I'm getting my chops busted on a problem as obvious as this (I showed the fellow the MNL posted photos), what's going to happen if some really big stuff starts breaking? Nope, ain't gonna chance it....

Shame really, seems that the car itself is well put together.

Back