Trailer, buy-out lease, transfer or turn in early?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
Another possibility for you, if you ditch the Leaf is a Rav4 EV, assuming you Toyota's still putting on the big incentives (put in a So Cal zip code into http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx?&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You should be able to get the 0% financing and $5K incentive but you're probably SOL re: the $2.5K EV loyalty cash (supposedly meant for current owners of previous gen Rav4 EVs).

Tony Williams got 130 miles on a charge on his rental Rav4 EV before buying one (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240769#p240769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and ditching his Leaf.

Too bad it's still kinda expensive even after the above and Federal and CA incentives. But, I suppose it's a "poor man's" Tesla.

The RAV4EV is on my list of possibilities but incentives not showing up my my zip code. Also, I don't own a previous gen RAV4 EV but I do have another Toyota in my driveway. Guess I would have to talk my way into it. Any idea who is a good dealer to contact? Wonder if there would be any way to somehow negotiate a trade in. Thanks.

kubel said:
The cost of renting a trailer or even paying someone to haul it is going to be less than the losses associated with buying out the lease and then selling it. The other options (doing a lease transfer, or turning it in early) are not good.
Agree that it's not much of a choice. I'd definitely pay someone to haul it. It wouldn't be that much and dedicated car haulers avoid damage a whole lot better than trailers. Plus when he got to CA he could get an HOV sticker and the price would go up a couple of grand. :)

55 one way commute, 110 miles a day, with an average 26MPG car = $330-$390/month in gas. Also it is only around $50 to rent a car dolly from places like U-Haul. Whatever/whoever is doing your move, you can put your Leaf on the car dolly and have it brought there along with your other stuff.

Darren said:
cwerdna said:
Another possibility for you, if you ditch the Leaf is a Rav4 EV, assuming you Toyota's still putting on the big incentives (put in a So Cal zip code into http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx?&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You should be able to get the 0% financing and $5K incentive but you're probably SOL re: the $2.5K EV loyalty cash (supposedly meant for current owners of previous gen Rav4 EVs).

Tony Williams got 130 miles on a charge on his rental Rav4 EV before buying one (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240769#p240769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and ditching his Leaf.

Too bad it's still kinda expensive even after the above and Federal and CA incentives. But, I suppose it's a "poor man's" Tesla.

The RAV4EV is on my list of possibilities but incentives not showing up my my zip code. Also, I don't own a previous gen RAV4 EV but I do have another Toyota in my driveway. Guess I would have to talk my way into it. Any idea who is a good dealer to contact? Wonder if there would be any way to somehow negotiate a trade in. Thanks.

Did you use your new California address? I traded my leased LEAF on a Rav4 last month. Easy, and smart to do by Jan 6 when the program ends.

TurboFroggy said:
55 one way commute, 110 miles a day, with an average 26MPG car = $330-$390/month in gas. Also it is only around $50 to rent a car dolly from places like U-Haul. Whatever/whoever is doing your move, you can put your Leaf on the car dolly and have it brought there along with your other stuff.
No reason to drive such a gas guzzling vehicle. When I last updated my spreadsheet (have fallen way behind and may just stop), my lifetime avg in my 06 Prius is ~45 mpg. That commute would be ~$171/month in gas assuming 45 mpg. With my former ~2/3 highway commute, if I kept my speeds below 70 mph for an entire tank, I'd see a bit over 50 mpg.

As for car dolly... FWIW, I've had professional movers w/a HUGE moving van (truck) move my stuff 4x (3x paid by my former employer), I've never ever seen them tow any car out back. I don't think they'd want to. The truck is long enough as it is.

The first time, they actually loaded my car into their moving van, which I believe is more/can be more costly than having an auto shipping company do it. Another time, they had an auto shipping company haul my cars separately.

In some cases, because I lived in apartments for the source or destination, they couldn't get the big moving van into the complex so they had to use a "shuttle" (smaller truck) that would be loaded and then move stuff into the main truck.

You didn't say where in Utah. I put in Salt Lake city and got 746 mi. I'm cheap. Just drive from plug to plug. I've gone 145 miles one way with a 2 hr charge. Or a Uhaul with a dolly.

mrdcmills said:
You didn't say where in Utah. I put in Salt Lake city and got 746 mi. I'm cheap. Just drive from plug to plug. I've gone 145 miles one way with a 2 hr charge. Or a Uhaul with a dolly.

I do not recommend attempting a LEAF drive from Salt Lake to San Diego.

After your 145 mile drive, you had to wait 7 hours for it to recharge. Finding TOWNS along that route with electrical power in the right places would be a severe challenge.

At best, a 3.3kW charger LEAF can drive 100 miles every nine hours (two hours driving 50mph, and 7 hours charging).

TonyWilliams said:
mrdcmills said:
I do not recommend attempting a LEAF drive from Salt Lake to San Diego.
After your 145 mile drive, you had to wait 7 hours for it to recharge. Finding TOWNS along that route with electrical power in the right places would be a severe challenge.
At best, a 3.3kW charger LEAF can drive 100 miles every nine hours (two hours driving 50mph, and 7 hours charging).
Have to agree with Tony on this one. I actually looked at driving my Leaf from SLC to Bryce canyon in southern utah. The route would be along the I-15 corridor same as going to San Diego. I think I can actually find enough 240 outlets to make it all the way, though some of them would be interesting.

The real limiting factor is the 7 hour charging time. Now the 2013 with the 6.6kw charger would help ( time cut in half ), however it would still be much more charging time than driving time.

The sweet spot would be to have a 12kw charger (50 amp) then you would have 2 hr charge time for 2hr drive time. There are also lots of RV parks along that route with plenty of NEMA 14-50 outlets.

KJD said:
The sweet spot would be to have a 12kw charger (50 amp) then you would have 2 hr charge time for 2hr drive time. There are also lots of RV parks along that route with plenty of NEMA 14-50 outlets.

You can't pull 50 amps continuous on a 50 amp breaker. 40 amps is 80%, which is exactly what a Tesla charger draws in Model S (and Toyota Rav4).

I can charge at 30mph, and go 140 miles at 65mph on the freeway.

2.5 hours driving, 5 hours charging

It's been a crazy week getting ready for the move but basically it looks like the LEAF is headed to CA with me on a trailer. Thanks for all the insights and help.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am in a similar situation and I'm a bit confused.

I have a 2012 Leaf SV with only 5,000 miles on it (of 24,000) and 14 months (of 24) left on my lease.
My residual is $20.5k

I leased the car and am currently in Las Vegas, but I will be moving overseas, so I really need to get rid of it.

From reading this entire thread, it seems I can't pay the remaining 14 lease payments and just give the car back? How is that different from just having it sit in my garage for 14 months and then giving it back?

Sorry if this seems dense, I'm just trying to find the best way out of this.

Thanks!
--Daniel

topaz420 said:
Sorry to revive this thread, but I am in a similar situation and I'm a bit confused.

I have a 2012 Leaf SV with only 5,000 miles on it (of 24,000) and 14 months (of 24) left on my lease.
My residual is $20.5k

I leased the car and am currently in Las Vegas, but I will be moving overseas, so I really need to get rid of it.

From reading this entire thread, it seems I can't pay the remaining 14 lease payments and just give the car back? How is that different from just having it sit in my garage for 14 months and then giving it back?

Sorry if this seems dense, I'm just trying to find the best way out of this.

Thanks!
--Daniel

I suggest that you try calling NMAC at 1-800-778-4211 and see what your options are.

Back