Trip Report - Lancaster to Cerritos, 87.2 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1howell

The Leaf continues to surprise me...

I decided to take to LEAF from Lancaster to the SoCal Gathering in Cerritos. I did not have anything else planned so I had nothing to lose. I planned a route on Bouquet Canyon road through the mountains to Valencia. In Valencia I would hop on the 5 for about 50 miles to Cerritos. The route is 87.2 miles, I felt I could do it if I drove a reasonable speed. As a bonus I would start the trip at 2400' elevation and end at about 500'.

The morning of the trip was cold, rainy and a bit windy, not exactly what I was hoping for. I really did not think I could make it all the way, but I had a backup plan to charge for a little while and arrive to the gathering a little late if I needed to... I preheated the car and managed to get out the door a few minutes early.

The roads were empty in Lancaster so I started off really slow, gently stopping at each stop sign as regen was not yet available and timing a few lights to my advantage. Getting to Bouquet Canyon Road requires a climb over a few hills, enough to eat through the first bar and some of the second.

The rain was coming down and the roads were wet, I quickly lost the second bar. I really started to think I had no chance to make it, but I was having a nice drive...

2011-11-12_06-47-53_685 by chris1howell, on Flickr
2011-11-12_06-36-20_357 by chris1howell, on Flickr

After climbing the final hill at the Bouquet Reservoir with two bars gone, I had plenty of opportunities for some regen and coasting. I took my time and enjoyed the drive. With 3 bars and 32 miles down my trip average was 7.7 miles per kWh, I started to think I just might make it.

2011-11-12_07-17-37_372 by chris1howell, on Flickr

Now on I-5 I was driving with the flow of traffic at 60 - 65 past the 14, 210 and 405 splits then settled at 55 - 60 at a safe distance behind a English Muffin truck. Starting to get hungry now... By the time I hit the 60 mile mark in Glendale, I knew I had it made.

2011-11-12_07-49-49_772 by chris1howell, on Flickr

As I was approaching Cerritos Nissan I realized I also accomplish something else... I won the tree game. :lol:

2011-11-12_08-22-42_727 by chris1howell, on Flickr

87.2 miles down in 2 hours, 2 full bars left (3rd just disappeared) 21miles left on the Guessometer and I arrived 5 minutes early... Great trip

2011-11-12_08-23-57_689 by chris1howell, on Flickr

The return trip was nice as well.

I left Cerritos Nissan just after noon with 11 bars, thanks for the charge :D. I headed up to Valencia Nissan for a top off while I had lunch and a movie.

Valencia Nissan was awesome, the last time I visited the General Manager welcomed me back anytime. I arrived and plugged in, bought a few accessories. The cashier said if I waited around a few minutes she would bake some fresh cookies. I got a cup of coffee, some popcorn and connected to the free WiFi. I really enjoyed the hot cookie when they came out of the oven. The GM also stopped by to say hi and welcome back. Great treatment and I did not even buy the car from Valencia Nissan. I will be back for my service and accessory needs...

After the movie, I had 9 bars which was more than enough to get home. This time I went up the hill a lot faster and enjoyed the windy roads in a different way...

Arrived home at 500, earlier than many ICE trips to the LA area...

chris1howell said:

I left Cerritos Nissan just after noon with 11 bars, thanks for the charge :D. I headed up to Valencia Nissan for a top off while I had lunch and a movie.

Valencia Nissan was awesome, the last time I visited the General Manager welcomed me back anytime. I arrived and plugged in, bought a few accessories. The cashier said if I waited around a few minutes she would bake some fresh cookies. I got a cup of coffee, some popcorn and connected to the free WiFi. I really enjoyed the hot cookie when they came out of the oven. The GM also stopped by to say hi and welcome back. Great treatment and I did not even buy the car from Valencia Nissan. I will be back for my service and accessory needs...

After the movie, I had 9 bars which was more than enough to get home. This time I went up the hill a lot faster and enjoyed the windy roads in a different way...

Nice report. Kudos to Valencia Nissan. If I ever get up that way, I'll remember them, and try to give them some business. :)

derkraut said:
chris1howell said:

Nice report. Kudos to Valencia Nissan. If I ever get up that way, I'll remember them, and try to give them some business. :)

I'm glad to see you had the courage and balls to make the trip. I've been doing long drives for most of the 11,500 miles on my LEAF.... Try charging up at Kohl's just off the 14 at Golden Valley Rd. There's more around that area than just a bunch of car dealers... :cool:

Very nice report, Chris, and it was great to see you at the meetup and have breakfast together.

I'm loving the way that some of us, like you, are turning the apparent range limitation of the LEAF into an opportunity for adventure and discovery. Very much in the spirit of being an early adopter.

chris1howell said:
I decided to take to LEAF from Lancaster to the SoCal Gathering in Cerritos....
87.2 miles down in 2 hours, 2 full bars left (3rd just disappeared) 21miles left on the Guessometer and I arrived 5 minutes early... Great trip

The Range Chart shows 132 miles range for 6.3m/kWh (that's in your pic when you arrived in Cerritos), and you traveled 87. The chart data says that you should have driven 88 miles down to two full fuel bars at 6.3, with 44 miles range remaining. One mile difference.

Awesome data points as I attempt about 230 miles tomorrow. Thanks.

Back