Unable to turn "Charging timer" on (Leaf S)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJay87

HI All,

Thanks for posting all the helpful information.

I was about to buy an outlet timer to charge the Nissan S 2015 when I came across this forum. I now realize that I can use the timer which I was told by the dealer was to "only set the stop time". Anyway, I remember turning it off when I bought the car and never cared about it after that.

Today I have spent 3 hours trying to turn that thing on and when I get to the setting I just see "Charging Timer" but no ON or OFF. Same for the time as well. I can press the dot but nothing happens.

I have the same issue for climate control as well so I decided to reset to factory hoping it would help but nothing has changed.

I apologize if this issue has been discussed before as I did look for the issue for 2 hours before creating this thread but couldn't find an answer.
Thanks in advance

Hello Mr. Simpson, :)

I don't have an S and it's a little tough for me to guide you thru the menus in the dash w/o being in front of the car.

The two buttons you need to be concerned with are the the buttons w/the two squares (upper left) and the dot (upper right). Try messing with those, following what it says on the last line of the display (e.g. one is Enter and the other is Next, depending on the context).

The timers are more fully featured and easier to set on the SV and SL.

Both the charging timer and the climate control timer work the same way: You set the time that you want it to be complete (the "ending" time). For example, I leave the house at 6:30am, so my climate control timer is set for 6:30am. By the time I get into the car, it's toasty warm (or cool) and ready to go. (I don't use the charging timer since ToU isn't available with my electricity provider.)

The user interface for setting these timers is akin to setting a VCR timer back in the 80s. The dot and square buttons sometimes change function -- you have to closely watch the screen to see which one does which.

This YouTube video may help (starting at 2:31):

https://youtu.be/XSFS1aQGwpM?t=2m31s

Thanks for the replies. The problem I have is that those buttons are not allowing me to turn the feature ON or OFF. There is no option there as its blank and if I press the square (enter) then I return to the previous menu (as expected) and if I press the dot then nothing happens. So I cant enable the feature itself and its happening with climate settings as well,

I understand how it works but for me the options dont show up. I am trying to book sometime with Nissan dealer, lets see how it goes.

Edit: NissanHelp replied on twitter and advised "please call 1-877-664-2738, Opt. 5". I did the same and explained the problem to the agent who asked me for name, address, VIN etc and then told me that the steps to enable it via entertainment system which I told him is not for S, then he said feature is not available on my car. I got a little agitated and told him that I will tell him the page number of the manual, once I gave him that he said, yes but its not active in your car and you should see a dealer as they will need to update the software.

Here are the pictures of what I see. As you will notice, the current status does not show as on or off

34hb6kw.jpg

126em3k.jpg

Just a shot in the dark... Probably something you already know about/did but just double checking.

Did you set the clock? There's two clocks in the S model which are, annoyingly, not synchronized. There's the entertainment system clock, then there's the clock you set on the dash panel.

Maybe without the clock set, it doesn't permit setting the timers because it has no reliable reference?

Note: Yes I realize you said "Same for the time as well" - if it's the case that you can get to the clock setting but can't set the clock, maybe try calling help about not being able to set the clock, and perhaps they will be marginally more helpful?

The clock setup is working and yes, I have reset the clock and even factory settings multiple times.

I went to the Nissan Service where someone took a quick look and did everything that I have tried in the last 3 days and got the same result (surprise!). I will need to leave my car with them and find a spot on their busy schedule.

Will keep you guys posted.

Back