upgrading to Bridgestone ep001s A rated efficiency

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartleaf

Am considering upgrading the tyres to Bridgestone ecopia ep001s. These have just been launched and have an A rating for fuel efficiency and wet grip.

http://www.cartiresblog.com/bridgestone-ecopia-ep001-s-first-tires-with-highest-aa-rating/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are 195/65R15, so will need the rims changing to 15's. So possibly a set of these
Rota wheels in black weighing in at 13lbs

http://www.racinglab.com/rotwheelslip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any suggestions anyone? Also will this help increase range or is it wasted cash.

I would not even remotely consider touching ANY Ecopia! Not when there are so much better tires such as the Michein Primacy MXV4 which has about the same rolling resistance but is better at everything else.

I'm sure this is a translation error but it is still very funny nonetheless: "Tires Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S have already been presented in Japan where they received the maximum ratings for profitability..."

Hartleaf said:
Am considering upgrading the tyres to Bridgestone ecopia ep001s. These have just been launched and have an A rating for fuel efficiency and wet grip.

TomT said:
I would not even remotely consider touching ANY Ecopia! Not when there are so much better tires such as the Michein Primacy MXV4 which has about the same rolling resistance but is better at everything else.

I'm sure this is a translation error but it is still very funny nonetheless: "Tires Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S have already been presented in Japan where they received the maximum ratings for profitability..."

Hartleaf said:

LOL!! you might be wrong on that. it could be an "routing" error (meant for CFO instead of marketing) and the translation is correct!

Hartleaf said:
They are 195/65R15, so will need the rims changing to 15's. So possibly a set of these

http://www.racinglab.com/rotwheelslip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any suggestions anyone? Also will this help increase range or is it wasted cash.
15" whee/tire combination should improve efficiency. The Rota slipstream wheels are very light, but key will be making sure they clear the front brakes which are rather large. Many 16" wheels have clearance issues. BTW - you need this wheel with the 5x114.3 boltcircle, not the one you linked to and you'll need some hubcentric spacers, too.

Let us know if they fit!

Hartleaf said:

http://www.cartiresblog.com/bridgestone-ecopia-ep001-s-first-tires-with-highest-aa-rating/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a lot of people will diss the tire but it really depends on where it comes from. the OEM ecopia 422's are different than what comes from Firestone.

I got one replaced at Firestone and its got a rating of "91H" while the OEMs are "89H" the # is the load capacity

so not sure if I am madder at Nissan for "cheaping" out the tires or Bridgestone for not changing the name of a tire that is different...

Just to let know our US readers, EU is now forcing energy rating on tyres - so tyres have A to G rating on amount of rolling resitance. Stock tyres on LEAF are B rating and those new Bridgestone ones are A rating. Having said that A rated tyres are now available also from other makers. Michelin Energy Saver+ is only B.

Every rating is for particular size of tyres, and apart from A-G on LRR there is also A-G on wet grip and noise in dB. A efficiency means LRR of less than 0.0065

I guess good news it that before going for tyres, you can now check on EU sites in what range actual LRR is.

September said:
Just to let know our US readers, EU is now forcing energy rating on tyres - so tyres have A to G rating on amount of rolling resitance.

I guess good news it that before going for tyres, you can now check on EU sites in what range actual LRR is.
Good stuff! California tried to push the issue a while back, but not sure what happened to it.

It appears that an A rating is not high enough if we already have tires rated at A. Will there be better ratings than A?

drees said:
September said:
Just to let know our US readers, EU is now forcing energy rating on tyres - so tyres have A to G rating on amount of rolling resitance.

Good stuff! California tried to push the issue a while back, but not sure what happened to it.

It appears that an A rating is not high enough if we already have tires rated at A. Will there be better ratings than A?
If there is, they should use the same rating as for credit default swap: A, AA, AAA and then burst.

The basic design and its limitations are still the same...

DaveinOlyWA said:
a lot of people will diss the tire but it really depends on where it comes from. the OEM ecopia 422's are different than what comes from Firestone.

TomT said:
The basic design and its limitations are still the same...

DaveinOlyWA said:

probably true but hoping the higher load rating will "toughen" up the sidewalls a bit. they seem just a bit too fragile.

September said:

THE NEW EUROPEAN REGULATION COMES INTO FORCE ON 1st NOVEMBER 2012

The EC/1222/2009 regulation requires that tyres for private cars and light commercial vehicles, manufactured after 1st July 2012 and marketed in the EU from November 2012 onwards carry a sticker or be accompanied by a leaflet on show in the point of sale.

For truck tyres*, the regulation simply requires tyre manufacturers and distributors as well as vehicle suppliers and distributors to make the information available clearly. Labels stuck to new tyres are not therefore compulsory but, if labels are not provided, a leaflet in the point of sale or online documentation should be made available instead.
* This does not apply to retreaded tyres.

-Energy efficiency rating based upon tyre rolling resistance

-Wet grip rating

-External rolling noise rating

These three characteristics should be taken as a starting point when it comes to choosing tyres. They should be considered in conjunction with other factors related to the customers' business and their specific requirements.

In most sizes there are still no A (efficiency) rated tyres, just few makers are doing well in it. It is actually sign of strong marketing that was shaping market for mpg friendly tires, as Michelin known for Energy Savers is in B range, while for example Pirelli known for sports is doing A range tires in quite wide range of sizes.

There is no perfect database now, but there is a decent shop I use that allows sorting by "Roll" at http://www.eiretyres.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just like any other shop they have no complete set of tyres on market, so I would usually browse sites of manufacturers, they are happy to brag about rankings:
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/car/genericContent/inside-the-action/cinturato-p7-blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually best idea is to google "[brand name] UK" and this would get you to proper page. They MUST publish those rankings, but sometimes they would hid it - like Firestone in this pdf http://www.firestone.eu/downloads/cars_summer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do manufacturers perform their own rolling resistance, traction, and noise testing, or are there independent certification agencies that are used (TUV etc)?

DeaneG said:
Do manufacturers perform their own rolling resistance, traction, and noise testing, or are there independent certification agencies that are used (TUV etc)?
I think it is like ingredients on food, manufacturer is responsible for obtaining data for label.

Seems the stock Bridgestone ep150 91H have a fuel efficiency rating of C . The 91V are rated B. The Michelin energy savers are also rated at B.

that leaves me with two possibilities: The Pirelli p7 blue are A rated at 215 width . The Bridgestone ep001s are A rated at 195 width.

So, how will the 215 and 195 widths compare ? Which one would be best for the leaf ?

Hartleaf said:
Seems the stock Bridgestone ep150 91H have a fuel efficiency rating of C . The 91V are rated B. The Michelin energy savers are also rated at B.

that leaves me with two possibilities: The Pirelli p7 blue are A rated at 215 width . The Bridgestone ep001s are A rated at 195 width.

So, how will the 215 and 195 widths compare ? Which one would be best for the leaf ?

That would be more of a personal preference on something that small. You'll get more contact surface, in theory, from the 215 which could be good or bad depending on the situation.

Back