Urban Flooding - what if you can't go around?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorSFGuy

Here in the Northwest, we are experiencing a bit more than our normal November. With that comes lots of standing water - some of it is to the top of the curbs and you can't always go around due to other traffic in adjacent lanes or even detours. Does anyone know of a downside to getting trapped into one of these situations where you have to drive through (and it isn't always slowly)?

My concern is specifically directed towards the battery pack getting wet. Is there more protection to it than just the cover that is bolted along the bottom? If there is a pan inside, how high are the sides? I didn't think to look at this when they were doing the rollout tours last winter. Maybe this isn't an issue.

I realize you aren't supposed to drive through water without knowing how deep it is so please don't flame me on that. I'm talking about water that could be up to the floorboard.

Be VERY careful crossing water. People get killed that way. ;)

That disclaimed, I often drive through a low spot on the way to the barn,
sometimes as deep as six inches*. I don't slow as much as I should for fear
of being rear-ended. Lots of splashing, but no trouble so far. December 3
is my first service. I guess they'll tell me if the pack is full of water. :eek:

*clear water, I can see the pavement.

My understanding is that the Leaf is designed to be able to go through reasonably deep water as long as it's not immersed for too very long. If the water is too deep (ie. deep enough you probably shouldn't try driving through in any car) or it's in there for several minutes, then some water could leak into the battery and cause damage. In that case, the car shuts off to protect itself. Of course, that youtube video does inspire confidence. I especially liked the lightning test :)

Since the battery is sealed and under positive pressure, that is not likely.
johnr said:
If the water is too deep (ie. deep enough you probably shouldn't try driving through in any car) or it's in there for several minutes, then some water could leak into the battery and cause damage.

As Tom said, the battery pack outer casing is hermetic. The case is sealed shut with an elastomeric gasket secured with 32 bolts, and the whole thing is pressure-tested prior to leaving the factory.

There are 2 connectors that admit the power/data connections into the sealed casing, and these are also well sealed and designed to be waterproof:

pic

Now maybe in a 20-year-old car when things age, and the seal hasn't been tested in years, I'd worry, but by then the pack is probably near the end of it's life anyway.

-Phil

I drove through about 16 to 18+ inches for about 75 feet or so the other night but not as fast as the video shows. No problems and not even much brake fade.

Back