Used Leaf at Nearby Dealership - Good Deal for $18k?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifrt431

http://www.bakernissansouth.com/certified/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-9da795500a0d064900aee908da34bf2d.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw this car while driving to work today. I've always been interested in a Leaf, but wanted to make it work out economically too. Can anyone tell me why the price might be so low? Can you tell if something is wrong with the vehicle from the pictures? I am located in Houston, the Oil capital of the country so that might make it less desirable in this town.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely down a capacity bar, although since the pic is also down one battery level bar, it's a bit hidden. If you live in a cool weather area, and are OK with a reduced range, it might be worth a low-ball offer. There won't be many (any?) used 2011s that DON'T have one bar gone in hot weather regions.

I agree with davewill. I am down a bar, but my daily drives top out at 45 miles a day at most so my Leaf serves me well. It all depends on what you need.

DesertDenizen said:
I agree with davewill. I am down a bar, but my daily drives top out at 45 miles a day at most so my Leaf serves me well. It all depends on what you need.

I would point out the missing capacity bar, and hammer the @$#$# out of them on price. If you can get another $1000 or $2000 off that price, and you only need to drive 40-50 miles daily for the next several years, I think it will be cheap transportation.

This car is at least 15% down on capacity, up to 21.24%.

The range of a new LEAF at 4 miles per kWh (about 65 mph on level ground with no heat) will be:

New car equals 4 * 21kWh = 84 miles range

Your car current best equals 4 * (0.85*21) = 71.4 miles

Your car current worst equals 4 * (0.7824 * 21) = 65.7 miles

The car will further degrade in the Houston heat, and you could easily own a sub 50 mile car in a few years.

If that works, go for it.

KJD said:
Looks like a one bar looser to me.
What do you guys think ?
Yes. Very clever of the dealer to bring the SOC gauge to 11 bars to mask the issue.

I'd absolutely stay away! You get what you pay for. The rule applies.

No dropped range bars allowed in my book. I'd be fighting Nissan to take the car back if my bar dropped. Leaf is supposed to drop range bar after 5-10 years, not 10,000 miles.

Nissan dropped the ball on heat effect on their batt pack. Heck, they did not even bother looking at American powere supply - hence the 3.3 charger. It's mind-boggling. Spending more than a billion bucks in development and not having it all covered.

SeattleBlue said:
Can't the dealer repair the cells? Or what if?
Nope, but they could reset the battery capacity gauge. That would take a bit more effort than bringing the SOC gauge to 11 bars, which is apparently what they did instead.

ifrt431 said:
http://www.bakernissansouth.com/certified/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-9da795500a0d064900aee908da34bf2d.htm

I saw this car while driving to work today. I've always been interested in a Leaf, but wanted to make it work out economically too. Can anyone tell me why the price might be so low? Can you tell if something is wrong with the vehicle from the pictures? I am located in Houston, the Oil capital of the country so that might make it less desirable in this town.

Thanks in advance.

18k is certainly not a low price. Fair to high IMO. Low would be 14k or less.
JMHO.

Back