Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
... I assume that same percentage is displayed by the 2013's FOT meter.

At the low end, does the FOT meter go to 0%, and when?

It goes to "--" (not to be confused with the GOM "---") at somewhere in the single digit %.

I have a video of it during one of the 2013 range tests.

LEAF-S San Diego Range Test on Feb 22, 2013

Nissan LEAF Side by Side Range Comparison, 2012 vs 2013, March 8, 2013

Very Low Battery Warning, 2013 LEAF dash meter read 8% with new condition battery:

LEAF2013VLBwithSOCdisplay-1.jpg

Very Low Battery Warning, 2013 LEAF dash meter no longer diplays percent some 12 very slow miles later:

LEAF2013VLBwithSOCdisplay.jpg

LEAFfan said:
Jim, using 24j, the WH meter doesn't work properly. When I coast in N for a half mile, it usually uses about 18, but today was zero.
The Wh meter does not really indicate how much energy you have used. It is an indication of how much energy the battery thinks it has lost or gained. External conditions such as temperature can change how much energy the battery controller thinks is available. It is not a meter but a scale (as in bathroom scale). There is a relationship between energy in and out but other things can affect it too. So in your case the 18 Wh you used was balanced out but other factors.

Version 0.24k and 0.24k-FS are available for testing. This is probably the last update before release as 0.25. Unless someone finds something that needs fixing.

Features.
* Display "n/a" if temperature sensor data is not available.
* Screen 4 now support landscape mode.

leafbat024ka.png

I will be mostly unavailable for the next two week. So next update will be sometime after June 8.

Just got back from 3 days in the Golden Trout Wilderness. :D Comments on 0.24k-FS:

--I really, really like the general look of screen 4
--would still like to have the ability to set the large number as %SOC, %'Gids, or 'Gids (perhaps by tapping the large number)
--Some visual indication of the maximum temp would be useful - either making the maximum temp red (an easy to read color) or perhaps placing one of the tiny red arrows under the maximum temp

Apparent bug: The Landscape Set in the Settings screen doesn't seem to be honored any more. I noted this by starting app on screen 4, where I saw that it was in portrait mode. Went to settings where it said "Auto" (not what I had set). Changed to "Landscape Set", restarted app, still not honored.

Stoaty said:
Just got back from 3 days in the Golden Trout Wilderness. :D Comments on 0.24k-FS:

--I really, really like the general look of screen 4
--would still like to have the ability to set the large number as %SOC, %'Gids, or 'Gids (perhaps by tapping the large number)
--Some visual indication of the maximum temp would be useful - either making the maximum temp red (an easy to read color) or perhaps placing one of the tiny red arrows under the maximum temp

Apparent bug: The Landscape Set in the Settings screen doesn't seem to be honored any more. I noted this by starting app on screen 4, where I saw that it was in portrait mode. Went to settings where it said "Auto" (not what I had set). Changed to "Landscape Set", restarted app, still not honored.
Getting Landscape working was the goal of this release. Selectable top number and more information in temps will come in the next release.

Good catch on the orientation bug. Left some code in that locked screen 3 orientation.

Refreshed 0.24k(-FS) with orientation fix.

TonyWilliams said:
Very Low Battery Warning, 2013 LEAF dash meter read 8% with new condition battery:

How do you get that dashboard display showing battery charge percentage? Is that unique to the 2013 Leaf? I don't recall ever seeing it.

schamberlin said:
TonyWilliams said:

How do you get that dashboard display showing battery charge percentage? Is that unique to the 2013 Leaf? I don't recall ever seeing it.
Yes, it's a new feature on 2013 LEAFs.

Turbo3 said:
If anyone is interested in making a donatioin email me at [email protected] and I will send you the correct PayPal account.
Please consider putting this in the Play store. I don't do PayPal (and won't until they are regulated like the bank they really are). I'd happily pay for the app. It would also ease the upgrade process.

Bug report 0.25-FS:

1) Go to settings for your phone and disable bluetooth
2) Start Leaf Battery app

Result: Error enabling Bluetooth flashes on screen, then flashes a second time, then bluetooth is enabled. Timeout too short for error message?

Bug report #2:

1) Bluetooth Enable on your phone
3) Immediately press the Back button on your phone
4) Tap "Yes"

Result: "Sorry! The application Leaf Battery (process Turbo3.Leaf.BatMon1) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Force close button at bottom of dialog box.

Can't reproduce the first one but I have fixed the second one of getting an error on exiting app.

Please re-install with refreshed v0.25.

What was happening is that after the app was closed an interrupt from the Bluetooth serial was coming in and restarting the service module but the input stream to the service module had already been shutdown so it was pointing to NULL. Not only was this giving the error message about the battery app failing but it also left the service module running when it had already just been shut down.

This was timing dependent so sometimes you could exit and not get it and other times you would.

I also added Try Catch Code around the code in the service module to handle any case that gets through so even if there is a NULL pointer it will not give an error message on exit.

Stoaty said:
Bug report 0.25-FS:

1) Go to settings for your phone and disable bluetooth

Result: Error enabling Bluetooth flashes on screen, then flashes a second time, then bluetooth is enabled. Timeout too short for error message?
Bug #2 fixed here in refresh of 0.25-FS. For bug #1 above, note that in Settings I have:

--Auto Enable Bluetooth is checked
--On Exit Force BT off is unchecked

While Bluetooth is enabled shortly after giving above 2 error messages, once I exit the Leaf Battery App it remains enabled. I thought "Auto Enable Bluetoot" was supposed to turn Bluetooth off if it wasn't on when the app was started?

New version 0.25-FS (refresh 2 minutes ago) now gives message "Waiting 4 BT..." indefinitely. This is with Bluetooth enabled before starting the app.

Ok, was able to reproduce on a different phone.

Some devices take longer to turn on Bluetooth and the code was not really synced to when Bluetooth changed state.

I now use the state change from Bluetooth to control when it is ON. Removed the Toast messages. Status information is now only presented in the lower right status box. So only one place to look during app startup.

Messages are now "Waiting 4 BT..." => "Waiting 4 ELM" => "Service Start" => " Waiting 4 Leaf" => "Connected"

There is also "Offline" if you have disabled BT and do not enable at app start and "Select OBDII" if this is the first time the app has tried to connect to an ELM.

This message flow should probably go in the Wiki page.

Just ordered my ELM327 adapter. Now I need to go shopping for a display.

Any suggestions for the best low cost display to use on this project ?

Stoaty said:
New version 0.25-FS (refresh 2 minutes ago) now gives message "Waiting 4 BT..." indefinitely. This is with Bluetooth enabled before starting the app.
Edit: appears to work correctly now if Bluetooth is disabled before starting the app. The problem occurs if Bluetooth was already enabled before starting

KJD said:
Just ordered my ELM327 adapter. Now I need to go shopping for a display.

Any suggestions for the best low cost display to use on this project ?
batteryproblemmnl

Please have a look at my friend's shopping list. His set up looks quite neat. The Kyocera Event handset had a $20 discount when he purchased it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/3IUALS6XRCBGJ/ref=cm_sw_su_w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back