Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
Yes, but only when I was using the EV CAN dongle, not the CAR CAN one. I solved it by exiting the App first before I turned the car off.

Good to know!

Quickie...does the modified EV-CAN ELM327 still allow one see everything else going on in the app, but instead of simulated Gids it shows real ones?

mwalsh said:
LEAFfan said:
Yes, but only when I was using the EV CAN dongle, not the CAR CAN one. I solved it by exiting the App first before I turned the car off.

Good to know!

Quickie...does the modified EV-CAN ELM327 still allow one see everything else going on in the app, but instead of simulated Gids it shows real ones?

The modded EV CAN ELM shows everything that is on the CAR CAN, including Simulated Gids ('Gids). Once Jim develops the App to read the EV CAN, then we will be able to get true Gids from the Mod. EV dongle.

Has there been any thought to giving Jim's ELM327 "Battery app" a name? Or is it just called Leaf battery app or ELM battery app?

Also any thoughts to adding the health percentage from the Group 1 data?

GregH said:
Has there been any thought to giving Jim's ELM327 "Battery app" a name? Or is it just called Leaf battery app or ELM battery app?

Yes, the name of it is Leaf Battery App or LB App which I prefer.
So I remember you posted that the CAP% on Jim's LB App isn't the same as your Health %. So I suppose he could switch the CAP% to Health%. How are those two different? They seem to show similar %.

LEAFfan said:
GregH said:

Yes, the name of it is Leaf Battery App or LB App which I prefer.
So I remember you posted that the CAP% on Jim's LB App isn't the same as your Health %. So I suppose he could switch the CAP% to Health%. How are those two different? They seem to show similar %.
Okey dokey..
Health is a 16 bit number in the same Group 1 active CAN data where the precision SOC and Ah capacity numbers are found... It's generated by the car. CAP% in the LB App is just the Ah capacity / 66.25 (the default.. although users can set this as they wish). I understand the original intent.. so that any individual could track how their Ah capacity changes over time. But for comparing different cars it's just another way of stating the same number.. the actual Ah capacity from the car (assuming the user hasn't changed the 66.25 default). Like the Ah capacity, the health seems to update about once a day, but not at the same time oddly. Health also seems to move more aggressively than Ah Capacity, perhaps tracking useable capacity rather than total Ah capacity. Not exactly sure yet... At the moment just another data point.

Ah capacity vs health discussion here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EV Warning Light went out on its own when the tech pulled it into the bay with the Consult machine. They did call Engineering to figure out what happened. The following is the data I have.

Fault Code P312A stored

Performed ESM tests - POS ECV 215-218 No problems - Called Fix - Engineers to get back to dealer.

I'm a little worried my issue is due to the EV-Can /switched 12v modified ELM I just installed. I have the app automatically close after the car turns off via the Setting Profiles app listed earlier in this thread.

bradbissell said:
... I'm a little worried my issue is due to the EV-Can /switched 12v modified ELM I just installed. I have the app automatically close after the car turns off via the Setting Profiles app listed earlier in this thread.
If it is, then just stop using it! :roll: Viola! no more problem. There's no real improvement (especially with the current software) using the EV-CAN bus. Just use the CAR-CAN for now. I'm sure that Turbo3 will eventually fix the problem, if there is one. Also, once he gets the braking/regen functionality working, you'll probably want the CAR-CAN, anyway.

davewill said:
bradbissell said:
... I'm a little worried my issue is due to the EV-Can /switched 12v modified ELM I just installed. I have the app automatically close after the car turns off via the Setting Profiles app listed earlier in this thread.
If it is, then just stop using it! :roll: Viola! no more problem. There's no real improvement (especially with the current software) using the EV-CAN bus. Just use the CAR-CAN for now. I'm sure that Turbo3 will eventually fix the problem, if there is one. Also, once he gets the braking/regen functionality working, you'll probably want the CAR-CAN, anyway.

Man, you're being confrontational tonight. Step away from the keyboard, bro!

mwalsh said:
Man, you're being confrontational tonight. Step away from the keyboard, bro!
Didn't intend to be. Seemed like the man was really worried, and if it IS the ELM, then he's got nothing to worry about. Guess I should have left off the eye roll. :)

Not worried personally, but worried for others who want real GIDs and might bust their car, or think they busted their car.

I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm willing to push the envelope for more data. Others might not be.

I'm most interested in what the fault code really means. Someone out there must have the service manual / decoder ring.

bradbissell said:
EV Warning Light went out on its own when the tech pulled it into the bay with the Consult machine. They did call Engineering to figure out what happened. The following is the data I have.

Fault Code P312A stored

Performed ESM tests - POS ECV 215-218 No problems - Called Fix - Engineers to get back to dealer.

I'm a little worried my issue is due to the EV-Can /switched 12v modified ELM I just installed. I have the app automatically close after the car turns off via the Setting Profiles app listed earlier in this thread.
Fault Code P312A definition from service manual.
"CAN communication of the EV system CAN connecting unit does not stop for 25.5 seconds or more immediately before the VCM self-shutoff."

Just a guess but the VCM might expect the CAN bus to be idle for 25.5 seconds before "self-shutoff".

When I get listen mode working I will see about adding code to stop the auto polling for battery pack data if the bus is not active.

For now, I would recommend people don't connect to the EV-CAN until I have this implemented or if connected to EV-CAN shut the app down as soon as you turn the car off.

Perhaps Phil can give more details.

Turbo3 said:
JohnOver said:
I'm not seeing that behavior. It connects and disconnects correctly. My only annoyance is that it turns bluetooth off whenever I get out if the app. Then I lose connection to my headset and have to turn it back on.
The app should only turn bluetooth off if it was off when the app started which means the app turned bluetooth on.

The only other time the app turns bluetooth off is if you have the "On Exit force BT off" checkbox in Settings/System checked.

Ok, just tested with my Kyocera Event and I don't see a problem. Paired with headset which means Bluetooth had to be on. Then made phone call and started and exited app and headset stayed connected.

What phone are you using?

Turbo3, I have a Samsung S4, and the "On Exit force BT off " check box is empty. I do have "Auto Enable Bluetooth" checked. Maybe I should uncheck that and see if the behavior changes.

JohnOver said:
Turbo3 said:
JohnOver said:
I'm not seeing that behavior. It connects and disconnects correctly. My only annoyance is that it turns bluetooth off whenever I get out if the app. Then I lose connection to my headset and have to turn it back on.
The app should only turn bluetooth off if it was off when the app started which means the app turned bluetooth on.

The only other time the app turns bluetooth off is if you have the "On Exit force BT off" checkbox in Settings/System checked.

Ok, just tested with my Kyocera Event and I don't see a problem. Paired with headset which means Bluetooth had to be on. Then made phone call and started and exited app and headset stayed connected.

What phone are you using?

Turbo3, I have a Samsung S4, and the "On Exit force BT off " check box is empty. I do have "Auto Enable Bluetooth" checked. Maybe I should uncheck that and see if the behavior changes.
Before you start the app do you have the Bluetooth icon on the top status line? If so is it white or blue?

Tonight I got error on the App something like:

Java error in Main subroutine null pointer fault.
Do you wish to continue yes/no?

I answer no, app exits. I power phone off, on again, restart app, same message.

I have gotten similar Java errors before, but this is the first time restarting didn't fix it.
Kyocera Event phone, ver 25 app, loaded about a week ago.

How do I recover? I assume I should delete App and reload a fresh copy, but I need help doing that in Android.

What causes this behavior and is there anything I should avoid doing to reduce chance of it happening again?
Thanks.

tbleakne said:

I have gotten similar Java errors before, but this is the first time restarting didn't fix it.

How do I recover? I assume I should delete App and reload a fresh copy, but I need help doing that in Android.

What causes this behavior and is there anything I should avoid doing to reduce chance of it happening again?
Thanks.
See: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=299510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and scroll down to the post by FairwoodRed

surfingslovak said:
Turbo3 said:
Here is the formula I am using for WHrs: SOC * AHr * constant = Battery WHrs

What are people's suggestions for the constant which would be the average battery voltage. ( I have mine but what do you think it should be?)
Jim, I believe that the constant should be equal or close to a multiple of the nominal cell voltage mentioned on the AESC website. If memory serves, it's 3.70V.

Estimated stored energy = CAP (Ah) x Nominal Cell Voltage x 96 x SOC
why use nominal? if you are querying for the cellpair voltages, you can sum them and use the present pack voltage ( dropping the 96 scalar ). If SOC is tracking Ah, then that should track gids better.
(sorry if I am bumping an old, beat to death, thread, I was lead here from another topic)

I'm testing a new version of the 12 volt accessory mod. It does look like it is now properly turning off as the LED's on the adapter extinguish and LEAFbatt says that it is waiting on ELM.

But I'm also running into a problem. Whenever LEAFbatt says "waiting on ELM", and I try to exit, it freezes. After a while an error screen will pop up telling me that "Activity Leaf Battery (in application Leaf Battery) is not responding". I have the option to wait or force close, both of which work. I can also successfully use the home button, then go to app manager and force stop the program. By the way, when LEAFbatt says "connected" it exits the app speedily.

Is this an expected behavior at this point? Is this something slated for future improvement?

tbleakne said:

Thanks.
Anytime you get a Java error you need to fully report it. I need to know the version number, error message including the line number and reason (basically everything you see in the error message).

So in your case I know the problem is in version 0.25 the "Main" routine and is a "null pointer fault" but I have no idea where in Main.

How many other people are getting Java errors and not reporting them?

TickTock said:
surfingslovak said:
Turbo3 said:
Here is the formula I am using for WHrs: SOC * AHr * constant = Battery WHrs

What are people's suggestions for the constant which would be the average battery voltage. ( I have mine but what do you think it should be?)
Jim, I believe that the constant should be equal or close to a multiple of the nominal cell voltage mentioned on the AESC website. If memory serves, it's 3.70V.

Estimated stored energy = CAP (Ah) x Nominal Cell Voltage x 96 x SOC
why use nominal? if you are querying for the cellpair voltages, you can sum them and use the present pack voltage ( dropping the 96 scalar ). If SOC is tracking Ah, then that should track gids better.
(sorry if I am bumping an old, beat to death, thread, I was lead here from another topic)
That is not the way AHr ratings works.

Take an example of a new battery with 66 AHr, SOC of 95% and fully charged battery voltage of 394.5 volts. Using your method would give a battery with 66x0.95x394.5 = 24.735 kWh and 'Gids of 309.

AHr rating is always based on nominal voltage. It is a capacity value.

Back