Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went into your Dropbox, but the 25s ends with d. There is no e or f. Also, you didn't tell me why c and d show only zeros on the app for GIDS,, % GIDS, kW h, and DTE. This is the first time I've run into any problems.

LEAFfan said:
I went into your Dropbox, but the 25s ends with d. There is no e or f. Also, you didn't tell me why c and d show only zeros on the app for GIDS,, % GIDS, kW h, and DTE. This is the first time I've run into any problems.
If I access dropbox from the app (Look for Beta Version) I see all of them (a-f). Pehaps do a screen refresh.

Are you connected to the EV-CAN bus? You must be connected to the CAR-CAN to get the real GIDs that c and d are trying to read.

JimSouCal said:
My hope was that we would be able to control several functions from the app such as start and stop charging, climate, timer functions, etc.

You can remotely do those things using the OpenWings app. If you mean program the climate functions that's available on the official Nissan LEAF app. on iOs there's an app called LEAFLink that does similar stuff to the official app.

This app is for monitoring the status/health of the battery, hence its name Leaf Battery. I don't think you'll see those functions in this app anytime soon.

To clarrify my lament, I often have difficulty with the carwings cellular data link and moreover it will be a subscription service this summer.

Thus sending commands directly to the cars bus vis-a-vis the EV-CAN still holds some appeal.

I get the current capabilities but still hold hope for an expanded feature set.

JPWhite said:
JimSouCal said:
My hope was that we would be able to control several functions from the app such as start and stop charging, climate, timer functions, etc.

You can remotely do those things using the OpenWings app. If you mean program the climate functions that's available on the official Nissan LEAF app. on iOs there's an app called LEAFLink that does similar stuff to the official app.

This app is for monitoring the status/health of the battery, hence its name Leaf Battery. I don't think you'll see those functions in this app anytime soon.

Turbo3 said:
LEAFfan said:
If I access dropbox from the app (Look for Beta Version) I see all of them (a-f). Pehaps do a screen refresh.

Are you connected to the EV-CAN bus? You must be connected to the CAR-CAN to get the real GIDs that c and d are trying to read.

Ah, I didn't know to refresh. Thx.
I'm only using my new CAR CAN one. I didn't even take this one apart. I'll try the f and see if GIDs show.
Nope, still zero for all three readouts. For some reason, it doesn't read the three.

A couple of comments about 0.25f:

1) The QC/L1-L2 count

Since my LEAF doesn't have a QC port, the QC count shows as 65535 (probably a default value). I don't know if a car with a QC port also returns 65535, if it has never been used. If it does, maybe a 65535 should be displayed as 0. If not, then maybe a 65535 should be displayed as "n/a".

I get a 563 for the L1-L2 count. Seems a bit high, since I've only had the car for about a year and I only charge it about five to six times a week. I would think something more like 300 would be closer to the truth, unless the count is total connects and disconnects.

2) Galaxy S4 interface to BAFX OBDII

I noticed this when I first started with version 0.25. The BAFX will transmit just a few times then stop. Does the app transmit a request string on a timed frequency (polling interval), then wait for a response? Perhaps it's transmitting the next request string before the prior response has been completely received? Maybe the polling interval needs to be a bit longer to allow for a response to come back.

I take back everything I said. Just read this on an official email from Nissan today

Pukes at Nissan said:
It's fun and easy to stay connected to your Nissan LEAF® vehicle using our innovative CARWINGS™ system on your smartphone. As a result, several smartphone app developers were inspired to create custom apps for controlling the system in a LEAF.

While we applaud the enthusiasm and ingenuity of these developers, we have to put the privacy and security of our owners first. This is why—effective immediately—we have decided to shut off access to in-vehicle controls from these unofficial applications. As an alternative, we encourage you to download the official Nissan LEAF app for your iPhone, Android or BlackBerry smartphone at the links below:

JimSouCal said:
To clarrify my lament, I often have difficulty with the carwings cellular data link and moreover it will be a subscription service this summer.

Thus sending commands directly to the cars bus vis-a-vis the EV-CAN still holds some appeal.

I get the current capabilities but still hold hope for an expanded feature set.

JPWhite said:
JimSouCal said:

Version 0.25g(-FS) will be available shortly.

New feature is displaying EVSE available current to the right of QC/Normal charge count.

Here is a screen shot of screen 1.
xa6x.png

I will fix the QC count bug if no QC installed on Leaf before I post it on DropBox.

The EVSE available string can have the following values.

*** ==>Means there is an EVSE plug plugged in but no Pilot signal is detected. You get this if you plug the Leaf portable EVSE into the Leaf but don't plug the other end into an AC outlet or the AC outlet is not powered. Might also get if you have a ground fault on EVSE.

xxA ==>Where xx is the available amps (rounded up) the EVSE reports it can supply. Don't need to be charging to see this value.

QC ==>A quick charger is plugged into the Leaf.

I have not verified QC. So I need a report back from someone who Quick Charges if this appears.

Weatherman said:
A couple of comments about 0.25f:

1) The QC/L1-L2 count

Since my LEAF doesn't have a QC port, the QC count shows as 65535 (probably a default value). I don't know if a car with a QC port also returns 65535, if it has never been used. If it does, maybe a 65535 should be displayed as 0. If not, then maybe a 65535 should be displayed as "n/a".

I get a 563 for the L1-L2 count. Seems a bit high, since I've only had the car for about a year and I only charge it about five to six times a week. I would think something more like 300 would be closer to the truth, unless the count is total connects and disconnects.

2) Galaxy S4 interface to BAFX OBDII

I noticed this when I first started with version 0.25. The BAFX will transmit just a few times then stop. Does the app transmit a request string on a timed frequency, then wait for a response? Perhaps it's transmitting the next request string before the prior response has been completely received? Maybe the time between request strings needs to be a bit longer to allow for a response to come back.
1a) Fixed version 0.25g to not report QC count if no QC port installed (based on see a count of 0xFFFF). Please install new version and retest.

1b) These counts come from the Leaf. It is the Leaf that does the counting so they are what they are. Would be interesting to see the values for a new Leaf.

2) The app sends a request and waits for a response or a timeout. If it gets a response it sends the next request. If it times out it resends the last request again. The timeout is two seconds. If it gets hung up on one request failing you will see that the CP voltages never change.

Turbo3 said:
2) The app sends a request and waits for a response or a timeout. If it gets a response it sends the next request. If it times out it resends the last request again. The timeout is two seconds. If it gets hung up on one request failing you will see that the CP voltages never change.

The typical behavior I see is a clean transition to "Connected" when the app first starts. It runs for a few seconds, then dips back and forth between "Connected" and "Waiting 4 Leaf data", then ends with "Waiting 4 Leaf data" indefinitely. I have to restart the app to get to "Connected" again.

I looked back over all the posts in this thread, and it appears at least one other person has seen the same behavior with the BAFX.

On the L1-L2 count, I'll see how it increments the value over the next couple of days. It sure looks like a connect and disconnect count (if it weren't the fact it's a odd, rather than an even, number).

Turbo3 said:
Does the VIN show up without parentheses?

A VIN with parentheses means it is displaying saved data not live data.

Yes, without parentheses. So it is live data. SoC % at the top is displayed. I had to go back to b.

LEAFfan said:
Turbo3 said:

Yes, without parentheses. So it is live data. SoC % at the top is displayed. I had to go back to b.
You will probably need to wait until I put in some logging code that records the request/response strings so I can see what is going on. Anything special about the Leaf firmware? Does it have the latest?

Version 0.25h(-FS) is up on dropbox.

Feature - Displays charger input voltage.

The voltage will show up briefly when you first plug in and during a charge.

I would like to know what voltage, if any, shows up when you QC.

LEAFfan said:
Turbo3 said:

I was seeing the same behavior, but I just installed (h), and everything seems to be working normally.

My L1/L2 charge count is 1122. Because almost all of my charging at home is on the LEAF timer, I think there must be a double count. My Blink EVSE starts up for a few seconds on plugin until the car says it doesn't want any electrons. I assume that this connection is counted, as well as the beginning of the actual charge.

Back