Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
Thanks slovak. You really are an amazing MNL thread historian. :D
Thanks Boomer! Can I put that down as my official MNL job description? :-D
Your response made me realize that I meant to reference this post.

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.26a (-FS) released

Feature
* Support Tire Pressure Alarm up to 50 PSI (was 40 PSI)

Thanks, great job. Can't wait to take the LEAF out and check out all the new features.

Found a small issue with 0.26a.

With a black background it is not possible to toggle between LBW/VLBW and rsrv estimates. Only works with cyan screen.

Is it useful to modify the ELM to use EV-CAN as described in the wiki? One part of the wiki says modifying to use EV-CAN is the only way to get real vs. simulated GIDs. But then later it says it can cause a fault and there's no benefit to using EV-CAN. Seems contradictory. Suggestions?

Thanks

surfingslovak said:
This particular thread is focused on app development, and Jim indicated earlier that he would like to keep it focused on that.

It might be helpful to other forum users to rename this thread to more clearly indicate its limitation to development. I haven't read every page, but Jim's first post does not indicate it is development only. I do appreciate all the helpful information in your post. Thanks

stjohnh said:
surfingslovak said:
This particular thread is focused on app development, and Jim indicated earlier that he would like to keep it focused on that.

It might be helpful to other forum users to rename this thread to more clearly indicate its limitation to development. I haven't read every page, but Jim's first post does not indicate it is development only. I do appreciate all the helpful information in your post. Thanks
+1 Yikes, I've have been merrily asking general usage questions, too! Sorry!

dm33 said:
Is it useful to modify the ELM to use EV-CAN as described in the wiki? One part of the wiki says modifying to use EV-CAN is the only way to get real vs. simulated GIDs. But then later it says it can cause a fault and there's no benefit to using EV-CAN. Seems contradictory. Suggestions?
The Wiki manual needs some updating. You can now get True Gids (TM) on the (Edit:) CAR-CAN. If JPWhite sends me some screen shots for 0.26, I will start updating the manual with all the great new stuff Turbo3 has added.

In 26 and 26a, the RPM is still "0000 RPM 0", although now
moved away from the left edge of the screen, on the Kyocera
Event, in Portrait or Landscape, Day or Night.

Could a tap on the GID value toggle the large digits between
the Raw GIDs and the Percent GIDs value, Please?
I only drive by the %GIDs number, as do many others.

As screen 4 gets more cluttered, and since screen 3 is basically obsolete,
some of the "new" values could be shown on screen 3, perhaps?

After the VIN on screen 1, are the nn/mm (23/651) the number of QC
and the number of L1/L2 charges (perhaps multiplied by 2)?
If so, on the Landscape screen, they could be formatted as
"23 QC, 651 L2/1" to be more self-explanatory?

Tapping the estimated distance remaining to cycle through the
3 most usable values is a big convenience, and it works well
on the Kyocera Event, Day or Night, Portrait or Landscape.

Very nice, useful convenience feature, Thanks.

Stoaty said:
dm33 said:
The Wiki manual needs some updating. You can now get True Gids (TM) on the EV-CAN. If JPWhite sends me some screen shots for 0.26, I will start updating the manual with all the great new stuff Turbo3 has added.

I'll get some screen shots later today. My wife has the LEAF right now :)

Stoaty said:
dm33 said:
The Wiki manual needs some updating. You can now get True Gids (TM) on the EV-CAN. If JPWhite sends me some screen shots for 0.26, I will start updating the manual with all the great new stuff Turbo3 has added.

I believe you meant CAR CAN. We no longer need the EV CAN.

Wiki should have any reference to modifying the ELM to run on the EV-CAN removed.
Version 0.26 and higher will not work on an ELM modified to run on the EV-CAN. It will get stuck at step 15 and not go to the CONNECTED state.

Comment on the Beta numbering. Since 0.26 is officially released, shouldn't next release's the beta numbering be 0.27x? For example Windows 8.x is the official current windows release. When they start beta testing the next major release it is going to be Windows 9 Beta. :?:

garygid said:
In 26 and 26a, the RPM is still "0000 RPM 0", although now
moved away from the left edge of the screen, on the Kyocera
Event, in Portrait or Landscape, Day or Night.

Could a tap on the GID value toggle the large digits between
the Raw GIDs and the Percent GIDs value, Please?
I only drive by the %GIDs number, as do many others.

As screen 4 gets more cluttered, and since screen 3 is basically obsolete,
some of the "new" values could be shown on screen 3, perhaps?

After the VIN on screen 1, are the nn/mm (23/651) the number of QC
and the number of L1/L2 charges (perhaps multiplied by 2)?
If so, on the Landscape screen, they could be formatted as
"23 QC, 651 L2/1" to be more self-explanatory?
Gary,
Go back to page 190 and follow my instructions to LEAFFan on taking a short (30 second) ELM trace while driving and CONNECTED so I can see what is going on with RPMs. Be sure to delete any previous ELM trace from the directory before taking this one.

Is this problem with a 2013 Leaf?

Making the top number switchable will need to be a beta version as it will take some work and testing to get the alignment to work for all size devices.

Yes, I will probably take over screen 3 for these new values I was testing. But since that is a big screen change it would have delayed getting 0.26 out to everyone else.

I will look at adding more text to the charge count information line on screen 1 when in Landscape mode. Might make it to a 0.26b general release since it is just adding text to a current line.

Jim

mirko said:
Comment on the Beta numbering. Since 0.26 is officially released, shouldn't next release's the beta numbering be 0.27x? For example Windows 8.x is the official current windows release. When they start beta testing the next major release it is going to be Windows 9 Beta. :?:
Beta versions are just improvements to the current release that might break the app so I don't want a general user to get it. When there are enough improvements then I increment the number and release it to everyone. Just the way it is.

If you are in the beta program you should know it and know where to get the test versions. If not, the general dropbox that is accessed from within the app only has the offically released version in it.
Jim

Stoaty said:
dm33 said:
WRONG: The app gets true GIDs from the CAR-CAN. An EV-CAN ELM will no longer work with the app.

Back