Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vrwl said:
Yes, I've tried rebooting the phone and then attempting to pair immediately after restarting it. Still didn't work.
I initially had some trouble pairing too. Use Settings, Wireless & Network Settings, Bluetooth Settings, Scan for Devices..and try pairing with what you see. My device didn't show up as OBDII initially. But I chose what I thought must be it anyway. After pairing, it is now showing as OBDII. Weird but it worked for me.

jackal said:
vrwl said:
Yes, I've tried rebooting the phone and then attempting to pair immediately after restarting it. Still didn't work.
I initially had some trouble pairing too. Use Settings, Wireless & Network Settings, Bluetooth Settings, Scan for Devices..and try pairing with what you see. My device didn't show up as OBDII initially. But I chose what I thought must be it anyway. After pairing, it is now showing as OBDII. Weird but it worked for me.
Yes, I tried to pair via settings. It scans for the device, finds it, shows OBDII , I tap that entry, it asks for the pin and I type 1234 (and 0000 on a different attempt) and each time it tells me I have an incorrect pin. Same as the first ELM327 I purchased and eventually returned. The fact that I'm getting the same response makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Your Situation:

You have the eVent phone.
You had no trouble downloading the app.
You have the ELM327 clone (perhaps from the Corona, CA source).
You cannot pair the two devices.

This works for me:
1. Plug in the ELM327 device to the OBD connector, and
turn the car On as if to drive it (to Ready mode).

2. Power on the eVent, open Settings, tap Bluetooth, and turn BT On.

3. If your device is not listed, Search For Devices (at the bottom of the screen).

NOTE: Since the ELM327 device MIGHT only be discoverable for a minute
or so after it is plugged in, you might have to unplug it and plug it in again.
Yes, some do wobble after they are plugged in, but that might just be
the socket in the car, and it is normal, I think.

4. After being discovered, attempt to Pair with the device.
When it asks for the pairing code, first try 1234, even if the instructions
say 0000 (some instructions are incorrect). If that doesn't work, try
it again, and even a third time. Finally try the other less common codes,
the 0000 and then the 6789. Keep trying until you have a successful
pairing here. (Although the auto-pairing in the app might work,
you would still need to use the correct pairing code in the app.)

5. Once it is Discovered and Paired here (only needed one time) by the eVent,
it should show up in the Select OBDII list (from the "Menu" icon) in the app.

Vicki, it sounds like it is defective. The best one is the one pictured on page 1 with the four screws. Amazon has it from SimiValley for $17 something and later you can have a switch put in for the EV Buss. I use this one and it is flawless.

Last update to version 0.17t before it becomes the next release.

Added Gary's fix baseline Histogram. Lock starting voltage by tapping "SOC= xx.x%" in lower left corner. It will turn Blue (starting x value frozen). Once frozen you will see the histogram bars move to the right if charging and to the left if discharging. Tap again to switch back to auto scaling mode which always keeps the bars centered by adjusting the starting voltage.

leafbat017te.png

garygid said:
Your Situation:

You cannot pair the two devices.

This works for me:
1. Plug in the ELM327 device to the OBD connector, and
turn the car On as if to drive it (to Ready mode).

2. Power on the eVent, open Settings, tap Bluetooth, and turn BT On.

3. If your device is not listed, Search For Devices (at the bottom of the screen).

NOTE: Since the ELM327 device MIGHT only be discoverable for a minute
or so after it is plugged in, you might have to unplug it and plug it in again.
Yes, some do wobble after they are plugged in, but that might just be
the socket in the car, and it is normal, I think.

4. After being discovered, attempt to Pair with the device.
When it asks for the pairing code, first try 1234, even if the instructions
say 0000 (some instructions are incorrect). If that doesn't work, try
it again, and even a third time. Finally try the other less common codes,
the 0000 and then the 6789. Keep trying until you have a successful
pairing here. (Although the auto-pairing in the app might work,
you would still need to use the correct pairing code in the app.)

5. Once it is Discovered and Paired here (only needed one time) by the eVent,

Garygid, thanks so much for that detailed explanation. I've tried essentially the same thing with a few minor differences, so I'll try it exactly as you have it posted here to see if those minor differences (I had the car already started and in Ready mode BEFORE I inserted the ELM327) determine whether I have success or failure. And yes, this one did come from the Corona, CA location where you had gotten yours that work perfectly fine, so I thought I was going to be ok this time around. It was part of the reason I thought I might have been doing something wrong. :?

Turbo3 said:
Added Gary's fix baseline Histogram. Lock starting voltage by tapping "SOC= xx.x%" in lower left corner. It will turn Blue (starting x value frozen). Once frozen you will see the histogram bars move to the right if charging and to the left if discharging. Tap again to switch back to auto scaling mode which always keeps the bars centered by adjusting the starting voltage.
Nifty, but why would one want to have such a feature? What is the utility in having this additional method of display? Gary?

Turbo3 said:
I noticed a tiny, tiny buglet (? feature)--when you first tpa the SOC in lower left corner, it turns blue, but there isn't an audible "click". Every time you switch after that, there is a click, just not the first time after starting the app.

garygid said:
Your Situation:

You cannot pair the two devices...

...Once it is Discovered and Paired here (only needed one time) by the eVent,

I've had the same problem.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I'll give them a try.

Can anyone confirm that I should be able do all this out of Cell range (at home)?

IOW, is there any requirement for cell phone reception at any time for this procedure?

TIA

Why have Frozen-Axis mode on the Histogram?

If the cell voltages go down not-too-much when using
more power, that indicates that the cells have lower
internal "resistance", and are apparently healthy.
Same for Regen, as the cell voltages go up.

In the Auto-Center mode, the numbers on the axis just
"flitter" around, and it is difficult to see this property
of the battery pack.

So, in the Sliding (frozen axis) mode, one can better
observe the internal properties of the cells.

edatoakrun said:
I've had the same problem.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I'll give them a try.

Can anyone confirm that I should be able do all this out of Cell range (at home)?

IOW, is there any requirement for cell phone reception at any time for this procedure?

TIA

I'm using a phone that is not activated, so it never has cell coverage. Since all you are using is the bluetooth connection, it is not needed.

Question:
Is there any requirement for cell phone reception at any time for this app,
or for setting up the Android device for using the app?

Answer:
No need for any cell activity or connection.
I keep mine in Airplane mode to keep the power usage down.

To update the app, it is convenient to have WiFi available to
access Turbo3's DropBox, and download the latest app.
Use the Look For Updates in the upper right corner of
the app's Settings screen.

Then, after exiting the app, it takes only 5 touches
to have the new app installed:

1. Swipe/tap to see the notifications list
2. Tap the app downloaded notification
3. Tap OK to over-write the older app.
4. Tap Install
5. Tap Done

Turbo3 said:
Last update to version 0.17t before it becomes the next release.

leafbat017te.png
Very nice, Jim. :D :D
I can hardly wait to try it. :mrgreen:

Perhaps, at 200 and 300 mv scales, you could make the tick marks
every 10 or even 20 (and continue to label every other one, or each
third or fourth tick)?

Also, rounding the starting (left) x-axis value to 10 (or 20 depending
upon the tick mark interval) would make the numbers noticeably
easier to read?

The diagonal text on the bars graph is not as readable as the
horizontal text, in my opinion.

Still, wonderful progress, good sir!

vrwl said:
Garygid, thanks so much for that detailed explanation. I've tried essentially the same thing with a few minor differences, so I'll try it exactly as you have it posted here to see if those minor differences (I had the car already started and in Ready mode BEFORE I inserted the ELM327) determine whether I have success or failure. And yes, this one did come from the Corona, CA location where you had gotten yours that work perfectly fine, so I thought I was going to be ok this time around. It was part of the reason I thought I might have been doing something wrong. :?
Turning the car on to Ready before inserting the ELM327 device dongle
should not matter, since I can typically plug in an untried dongle
and it just works, using the old pairing, since it has the same MAC
address as the just-removed dongle.

I will delete the Discovered and Paired device, and start over with
some unused dongles, check my own instructions, and report any findings.

However, right now it is raining, and Maple is outside,
hopefully enjoying her bath.

The blue (frozen) SOC indication freezes the x-axis of the histogram.

I see the blue SOC on the bars graph as well (Screen 1).
Does it freeze the vertical axis of the cells voltage graph,
or is it an accidental carryover?

Version 0.18 has been released. Check first post for screenshots and zip file.

Updates
* Histogram x-axis auto locks
* Simulated gids added to screen 3. Tap label to swap between value<==>%
* Progress Bar can be hidden
* Estimated miles to go includes miles/kWh used for calculation in label
* Temperature on screen 3 changes color based on reading
* Temperature on screen 3 can be selected as max, avg or min

Success!

It took another ~half-dozen attempts, with random variations in the order and #, but 1234 finally worked to pair.

Thanks again for the app, and the advice.

It displayed 87.42 % Cap at 79.9% SOC ("80%" charge, -~20 minutes of ready) w battery temps ~60 F.

Thanks Jim for reposting your Dropbox. He has it up and running now and he is really excited and thankful for your App and assistance in posting it. People will only need the Dropbox link the first time unless they want to dl an unzip file for their phone.
Just a side note: I had been leaving the OBDC plugged in for several nights, but my battery dropped to 8V by morning so had to jump it. Looks like a switch to Power off is going to be necessary now because TickTock said we could damage the car's OBDC by constant plugging and unplugging. He said they're made for about 20 connections for the life of the car.

LEAFfan said:
Thanks Jim for reposting your Dropbox. He has it up and running now and he is really excited and thankful for your App and assistance in posting it. People will only need the Dropbox link the first time unless they want to dl an unzip file for their phone.
Just a side note: I had been leaving the OBDC plugged in for several nights, but my battery dropped to 8V by morning so had to jump it. Looks like a switch to Power off is going to be necessary now because TickTock said we could damage the car's OBDC by constant plugging and unplugging. He said they're made for about 20 connections for the life of the car.
I think they are good for more than 20 (did I really say that?) but they are not designed for daily insertion/extraction. Already mine is feeling a little loose just from periodic unplug for debug. If you don't need to monitor during charging while the car is off, it would be easy to switch the power connection from the battery to the switched accessory power.

Back