Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final version of 0.18t is up on DropBox before release as 0.19.

Fixes
* Screen 1 now has two lines at the bottom. One for voltages the other for temps. So everything should be visible no matter how you orient the screen.
* Screen 2 fixed tick mark and label generation for all Histogram window sizes. Even doubles number of tick marks in landscape mode. Tick marks are colored magenta to indicate they match the voltage number below them. Tick marks always split the last two digits of the number below them. Not the first digit which the magenta color makes clear.
* Screen 3 adjusted Gid label so it is not so close to the gid number.
* SOC= xx.x% has been moved up just a little so the battery voltage can be read on screens 1 & 2
* Auto lock on Histogram to keep starting voltage fixed unless the histogram would go off screen. Makes it easier to see when the voltages are increasing or decreasing since they will now move left or right because the start is fixed.

==============
Changed my mind. Just made the Tick marks longer.

leafbat018td.png

Turbo3 said:
Final version of 0.18t is up on DropBox before release as 0.19.
I have been unable to find a single thing to complain about in this version. ;) Looks really good! I thought of one possible bug, but can't test it here:

What happens on Screen 3 if:

--screen is in landscape mode
--you have ' Gid % selected to be displayed large
--' Gid % is 100%

Do you lose the decimal place and everything fits on screen nicely (correct) or do you get 100.0% and have the "1" running into the % SOC on the same line (would be a small cosmetic bug)?

Unfortunately, I will never be able to test this on my Leaf. :cry:

Three minor suggestions on v18t:

1. Make the x-axis start value such that the labeled tick marks
are at 10 mv points, rather than 5 mv points, on the Histogram.

2. Move SOC % and the 'Gids together, so that the % comparison
is easier to see at a glance, on Screen 3.

3. When changing axis resolution on the histogram,
re-center the Average value. Just a thought.

From a user point of view, is there anything that can be done to make it more clear how to change the screens? I can usually make the change fairily easily from the battery screen to the histo screen by just tapping somewhere on the screen, but sometimes it takes several taps before I'm successful. Then to go BACK to the battery screen from the histo screen is like pulling teeth. It would be helpful to possibly indicate where to tap to make that happen. Maybe a shaded area to indicate where one should be tapping. Same thing goes for screen 3. It's not an easy thing to make the change back and forth between it and the histo screen. So either some sort of designation on where to tap/swipe to change the screens or maybe small buttons to accomplish the screen changes.

Has anyone posted their log files that has been recorded with this app? (in this thread or other?) I am looking for either a long distance drive log or a nearly full charge log.
I want to exercise my excel spreadsheet skills and this is a good opportunity to see what i can dig out of this log.

edit: no, I don't have my ELM327 yet, shipping to Canada is slow, and I don't want to pay double to buy local.

garygid said:
Actually, I think you can test it by setting the miles/kWh to a
different value. Isn't that value used in the calculation of
the estimated GIDs ('Gids)?
Nope, I changed it. Has no effect on estimated Gids.

vrwl said:
From a user point of view, is there anything that can be done to make it more clear how to change the screens?
Don't change it, it is perfect! All you have to do is tap at the top of the screen (which varies depending on whether it is portrait or landscape). Left 1/3 is Screen 1, middle 1/3 is screen 2, right 1/3 is screen 3. As simple as possible.

Results of my first drive with Gid Meter (TM) and the Leaf Battery app:

1) Simulated Gids read consistently higher by 2.0-2.5% over the whole drive
2) The SOC was a bit higher than I had estimated. For example, 49% True Gids was 53.5% SOC. I had estimated it would be about 3% higher at around 50% SOC based on my level of battery capacity loss, but found out it was 4.5% higher. Nice to have this number. Does a Gid Meter with latest firmware show the same % SOC as the app or do the numbers differ? I don't have the latest firmware, so can't test myself.
3) Max voltage difference was 18-25 mv, so pack appears to be fairly well balanced (this was at SOC varying from 55% to 75%)
4) Cell 35 was the lowest voltage, but with this little difference I doubt it is significant
5) Ambient temp in my parking garage was 67 degrees F. this AM, battery temps ranged from 69-72 degrees (about 20-30 minutes after completing a 2 hour charge to 75% SOC)
6) Maximum battery temp decreased by about 0.8 degrees F (71.9 to 71.1) during my 20 mile drive (including about 12 miles of freeway at 52 MPH), with ambient temps around 60 degrees

Stoaty said:
garygid said:
Actually, I think you can test it by setting the miles/kWh to a
different value. Isn't that value used in the calculation of
the estimated GIDs ('Gids)?
Nope, I changed it. Has no effect on estimated Gids.
That was just a workaround I suggested before Jim put in the 'Gids indicator. The miles/kWh setting will only affect the DTE indicator. My suggestion was to simulate 'Gids through that display before Jim added it.

jclemens said:
Has anyone posted their log files that has been recorded with this app? (in this thread or other?) I am looking for either a long distance drive log or a nearly full charge log.
I want to exercise my excel spreadsheet skills and this is a good opportunity to see what i can dig out of this log.

edit: no, I don't have my ELM327 yet, shipping to Canada is slow, and I don't want to pay double to buy local.

Yes I have file here:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzq0pAfyq79PV2NrMlVhUnQ2TjA/edit?usp=sharing - and I found a few details that probably sometime need to be fixed:

1. The column SOC, AHr are collecting the data without "." decimal point so it shows up as 73145 and 592958,
2. Also the AHr in my case is consistently the same value - during the charging and during driving down to 68+ % SOC, is that correct?

3. the other problem - maybe me - or my Nexus 7 tablet is that the app crashes randomly on my 45 minute drive to work it crashed about 30 times - is that suppose to be that way? ;-)

I'll try to post the file somewhere -

Ralph

Version 0.19 is now available. Features lots of screen fixes.

Features
* Percent numbers above or equal to 100% will drop the 1/10 digit
* Built in screen switching trainer.
* Numbers don't go off the screen in Portrait mode
* Screen 2 x-axis labels fixed.

vrwl said:
Here's one on Amazon and this one looks more like it might be a power switch: "ON/OFF Power Switch that allows you to keep it plugged in at all times"

http://www.amazon.com/Simvalley%2599-ELM327-Bluetooth-Diagnostics-Switch/dp/B00CF88GEW/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1367902220&sr=1-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great find! I may have to pick up a second unit (since my current one lacks on/off and I'm getting tired of plugging & unplugging). It'd sure be nice if they had a "sleep mode" that could be enabled based on the ODB-II pin that only has power while the car is "on".

Stoaty said:
1) Simulated Gids read consistently higher by 2.0-2.5% over the whole drive
Changing nominal cell voltage from 3.75 to 3.70 should remove most of this discrepancy, but we need more data. Another way to approach it would be an adjustment factor for battery capacity.

ralphmc said:
1. The column SOC, AHr are collecting the data without "." decimal point so it shows up as 73145 and 592958,
2. Also the AHr in my case is consistently the same value - during the charging and during driving down to 68+ % SOC, is that correct?

3. the other problem - maybe me - or my Nexus 7 tablet is that the app crashes randomly on my 45 minute drive to work it crashed about 30 times - is that suppose to be that way? ;-)

RAlph
1. That is the raw data from the car. So working as designed.
2. Yes that is correct it is not how much energy you have but how much the Leaf thinks you could put in the battery. It is like the size of the gas tank not how much is currently in it.
3. I have a Nexus 7 and will test it out on a drive when I have time. Do you get any type of message on the screen when it crashes?

A couple of small favors to ask for future enhancements (mostly low priority):

• Could you change the color scheme to match that of the LEAF's dashboard (black, blue, white and red)? Perhaps use a black background with blue bars and white labeling (and red for shunts)? And white on black (or blue on black, if it's legible) for the text-only display? I think it would look more professional and coordinated when viewed in the car.
  • While I like that the display orientation changes based on how the unit is held, could you have an option to "lock" it in either portrait or landscape mode? I will often set the phone (or tablet) on the seat beside me and the display will flip as I corner, brake or accelerate, which is distracting.
  • If the GPS information has been gleaned from the CAN bus yet, could there be an option to use either the car's GPS information or the device's GPS information? That way devices which don't have GPS (low-end tablets and/or cellphones) could still do GPS-based logging.
  • If speed is available on the CAN bus, that'd be great to log as well...

Keep up the great work, this application is already very useful and is moving forward fast.

Turbo3 said:
ralphmc said:

RAlph
1. That is the raw data from the car. So working as designed.
2. Yes that is correct it is not how much energy you have but how much the Leaf thinks you could put in the battery. It is like the size of the gas tank not how much is currently in it.
3. I have a Nexus 7 and will test it out on a drive when I have time. Do you get any type of message on the screen when it crashes?

to: Do you get any type of message on the screen when it crashes? only the standard application had to close message, I forget the current exact wording - will look again this afternoon going home.

to 1. - K just need to then place the data in a separate column with the proper conversion.

to 2. I guess I misunderstood that - cool thanks

This appears to be a beyond-awesome tool for those of us who are enthusiast detectives (we want to know how stuff works) but don't have the time or skills to do actual hardware or software. I've skipped around in this thread and if it's not already available somewhere, would someone with more of the history be willing to write up a brief summary of where the project is that could be consumed by "the rest of us"? I'd think a skeleton outline of the major questions looks something like this:

1) what hardware is required, where can you obtain it, where does it connect to the vehicle, how "hard" is the actual connection, what skill(s) are required, are there any risks, etc? I'm assuming many people have parts of this already, but I'd like to end up with something that your "average" leaf owner could read quickly and determine if they're interested/qualified.

2) what are the high-level features of the software (meaning the app)... just a basic list of what info you can get and if there's anything major that you can't get that would be helpful too.

Again, this is purely a best-effort request from a guy who is interested but doesn't have the time to read through 70 pages of forum posts to get all the details. I think there are others out there in the same boat, and I *think* that there's probably someone who could toss this info together off the top of their heads with very little effort. If I'm wrong on any of that, feel free to tell me to shove it - beggars can't be choosers and I'm definitely the former.

I'll let others decide whether this should live in a separate post or get added in here...

and THANKS ;)

Back