Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pcarlson79 said:
I measured my bluetooth OBD mini device today and its a LOT more than the 30mA I saw on a spec sheet. I measured 91.6mA! That's about 1.1 watts.

Was just the 'red' light on when you measured it? Did you have everything else off, including BT on your phone? Because I've left mine plugged in for over a month (drive the car every day), and the 12V hasn't lost even one tenth of a volt. Mine is the Vgate from Simvalley, $18 from Amazon and is easily opened with four screws for modifications. I believe when just the Power light is on, it uses around 40mA or less.

After not getting any response regarding leafscan I decided to purchase an android tablet and bluetooth transmitter. Connected up perfectly without any of the connection issues described earlier. Got a cheap visual land 10" tablet. Interesting to see the data from the car after 2+ years.

Thanks for putting this app together. It's really great!

A huge thank you to all you LEAF guru's! Yes my 12v battery was fine and sure enough the clicking was from the VCM (Vehicle Control Module) switching in 12v every time the app requested some CANbus data. Unfortunately the tiny bluetooth adapter I bought is so small I can't connect re-wire pin 16 to Pin 8 so I've ordered a 30cm extension cable and I'll modify that.

Thank you all for your help......hmmm. Maybe I should pull that scanner apart just one more time.

palmermd said:
After not getting any response regarding leafscan I decided to purchase an android tablet and bluetooth transmitter. Connected up perfectly without any of the connection issues described earlier. Got a cheap visual land 10" tablet. Interesting to see the data from the car after 2+ years.

My LEAF is 9 months and 12,660km old and my battery still shows 101.98% capacity. I'd be keen to see how your 2 year old LEAF is going.

pcarlson79 said:
palmermd said:

My LEAF is 9 months and 12,660km old and my battery still shows 101.98% capacity. I'd be keen to see how your 2 year old LEAF is going.

pcarlson79, what part of the world are you located? When we start talking about battery capacity, it sure helps to see your location in your profile so we can compare regional statistics.

vrwl said:
pcarlson79, what part of the world are you located? When we start talking about battery capacity, it sure helps to see your location in your profile so we can compare regional statistics.

Hi. My name is Phillip and I live in Canberra, Australia. We bought our LEAF in September 2012 during normal weather. The car usually stays on 5 temp bars. Then during summer around December it usually stayed on 6 temp bars. But during a hot week of temps over 45 degrees Celsius we saw 7 temp bars.

But now we are in winter we occasionally see 4 temp bars. I've noticed a little range loss but last week we only got 65km from a full charge. So I ordered a scanner and this app. So after another 100% charge I drove at 100km/h on the highway and still got 115-120km range so it seems maybe we accidentally reset the trip meter the day before.

Once I received the scanner it displayed our battery capacity at 101.98% which I found to be a relief. We have 2 electric motorbikes as well and always charge them to 100% and they are now 2 years old and still around 100% capacity. So we have been charging the LEAF to 100% capacity whenever we charge it. I have attached a few photos.

8990671161_daf5c976e1_c.jpg

8990669335_e592789943_c.jpg

8990664251_56965e8519_c.jpg

pcarlson79 said:
vrwl said:

Hi. My name is Phillip and I live in Canberra, Australia. We bought our LEAF in September 2012 during normal weather. The car usually stays on 5 temp bars. Then during summer around December it usually stayed on 6 temp bars. But during a hot week of temps over 45 degrees Celsius we saw 7 temp bars.

But now we are in winter we occasionally see 4 temp bars. I've noticed a little range loss but last week we only got 65km from a full charge. So I ordered a scanner and this app. So after another 100% charge I drove at 100km/h on the highway and still got 115-120km range so it seems maybe we accidentally reset the trip meter the day before.

Once I received the scanner it displayed our battery capacity at 101.98% which I found to be a relief. We have 2 electric motorbikes as well and always charge them to 100% and they are now 2 years old and still around 100% capacity. So we have been charging the LEAF to 100% capacity whenever we charge it. I have attached a few photos.

8990671161_daf5c976e1_c.jpg

8990669335_e592789943_c.jpg

8990664251_56965e8519_c.jpg

Interesting to see your 'Gids over 281, but your SoC at 95%. After a 100% charge mine shows 269-270 'Gids (Sim) and 97% Soc. Actually, I charge to 98% because that's when the 'Gids, SoC, and WH stop.

pcarlson79 said:

I don't know what battery chemistry is in yor bikes, but the lithium manganese in the LEAF does not like 100% charge state for extended periods. Your observations from the bikes do not apply.

If you don't drive long distances, I HIGHLY recommend using the 80% charge setting. It is the default on the 2013 cars, I believe. Your battery will thank you in the morning.

TonyWilliams said:
If you don't drive long distances, I HIGHLY recommend using the 80% charge setting. It is the default on the 2013 cars, I believe. Your battery will thank you in the morning.
The default on the 2013 is 100%.

garygid said:
The 100% charge is not really a 100% full battery.

Correct. Mine is somewhere between 95% and 97%, iirc. (real charge).. i just charged last night/today (24 hours, 30 mins.. yeesh).. i'll pull out my In-Drive thing and see how i look this time (see if my high kWh is holding)

Just so people know, the Virgin Mobile Kyocera Event phone is available at Amazon.com for $39.99. Just ordered mine for use with Turbo3's app.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Event-Prepaid-Android-Virgin/dp/B00B9K6ESC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370861296&sr=8-1&keywords=kyocera+event" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bradbissell said:
Just so people know, the Virgin Mobile Kyocera Event phone is available at Amazon.com for $39.99. Just ordered mine for use with Turbo3's app.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Event-Prepaid-Android-Virgin/dp/B00B9K6ESC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370861296&sr=8-1&keywords=kyocera+event" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's the difference between the Android on this (4.0, which I usually see on tablets rather than phones) and the 2.3 you usually see on phones? Is 4.0 still good for the app?

I'll be honest, I am an iOS guy. I figure 4.0 ( Ice Cream Sandwich) is more future proof than 2.3 (Gingerbread) due to being newer. It seems that most cheaper phones use lower end parts which are too slow to use the newest operating system.

bradbissell said:

Woah...price went up to $59.88! Glad I bought a few hours ago, when you first mentioned it.

If you missed out, a Virgin network LG Optimus Elite is currently on sale at Best Buy for $49.99:

White: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Virgin+Mobile+-+LG+Optimus+Elite+No-Contract+Mobile+Phone+-+White/6621469.p?id=1218763398855&skuId=6621469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Black: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+Optimus+Elite+No-Contract+Mobile+Phone/5177574.p?id=1218635228899&skuId=5177574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Virgin Mobile Kyocera Event phone is available again at Amazon.com for $39.99.

sorphin said:
garygid said:
The 100% charge is not really a 100% full battery.

Correct. Mine is somewhere between 95% and 97%, iirc. (real charge).. i just charged last night/today (24 hours, 30 mins.. yeesh).. i'll pull out my In-Drive thing and see how i look this time (see if my high kWh is holding)

Welp, I can verify once again that after 700 someodd miles, i'm still charging to 97.1% (real charge) and 23.5kWh..

I did a range test from full charge to to Turtle on my 2011 LEAF today.

Turtle occurred at 5 Gids on an Original (TM) Gidmeter.

Readings when I parked the car after Turtle:

Gidmeter: 4 Gids, SOC 3.6%, Voltage 318.0

ELM/Android app: 9 'Gids (simulated Gids), 3.7% SOC, 0.8 kWh remaining, zero miles remaining

The battery cell display at Turtle was interesting. The cell voltage histogram showed blips widely scattered all the way from 3.112 Volts to 3.385 Volts. And the main battery display showed full vertical range bars on a scale of 3.12 to above 3.27 Volts and all the way to the top of the screen across the entire width.

See pics I took of the Droid display because it doesn't have a screen shot feature.

Note that the 12V battery is at 11.6 Volts. Maybe the LEAF pulled every Volt it could get it's hands on to get me back in my garage. :lol:

Attachments

• June 11 13 ELM 1.jpg
    June 11 13 ELM 1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 80
  • June 11 13 ELM 2.jpg
    June 11 13 ELM 2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 80
  • June 11 13 ELM 3.jpg
    June 11 13 ELM 3.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 80
On my 13 mentioned above.. I finally pushed myself to LB.. at 16% on the dash.. When you hit VLB.. how bad does it slow you down, etc?

Boomer23 said:
I did a range test from full charge to to Turtle on my 2011 LEAF today.

Turtle occurred at 5 Gids on an Original (TM) Gidmeter.

Readings when I parked the car after Turtle:

Gidmeter: 4 Gids, SOC 3.6%, Voltage 318.0

ELM/Android app: 9 'Gids (simulated Gids), 3.7% SOC, 0.8 kWh remaining, zero miles remaining

The battery cell display at Turtle was interesting. The cell voltage histogram showed blips widely scattered all the way from 3.112 Volts to 3.385 Volts. And the main battery display showed full vertical range bars on a scale of 3.12 to above 3.27 Volts and all the way to the top of the screen across the entire width.

See pics I took of the Droid display because it doesn't have a screen shot feature.

Note that the 12V battery is at 11.6 Volts. Maybe the LEAF pulled every Volt it could get it's hands on to get me back in my garage. :lol:

Back