Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevinleaf said:
on my MY2013 I don't get ambient temp but I do get tire pressures. Also with Alt GIDs set the DTE values are way off. Turbo3 let me know if you need any debug logs from me.

What version? Mine works for TP with v.26h.

Turbo3 said:
Did you want the app to decode the DTC for you? I guess I could add a big case statement. Or maybe read from text file for different languages.
That would certainly be awesome for folks who had no other way to look them up.

v26m2 is working fine with the Event on a 2011.

No discrepancy more than one unit between Gids/altGids, odometer or ambient temperature on the dash. Probably just a rounding difference. Dimming works.

Bravo!!!

Having a text file with one line per code, and scanning the file for the
code line (the first 5 characters of the line) would probably be sufficient,
fast enough for us, and perhaps easier then maintaining improved
descriptions in the program. Different languages would be easy.

However, reading the file might not fit well into your rapid-paced
application. Internal case statements would be much faster.
But, whatever works best for you.

Including the descriptions, in our own translation, to improve
our understanding, would greatly increase the usefulness to us.
Including the associated Fail-Safe "Pattern", would also be very helpful.
Apparently it is a "pattern" because more than one bit can be On.

Show something like:
P31AA (no Restart): Something is wrong with the xyz in the abc.

From another thread:
Various DTCs have various fail safe patterns.

FAIL-SAFE PATTERN
• Pattern A: Quick charge prohibited
• Pattern B: Normal charge prohibited
• Pattern C: READY OFF
• Pattern D: High-voltage power supply stop

Apparently one code had Pattern A and B, thus "AB".

I think Pattern C means "Restart Prohibited" or "Ready-to-Drive mode
is prohibited" or more simply "If you turn it off, you cannot continue driving,
so better drive directly to a dealer".

Probably Pattern D does not allow use of the High Voltage, thus
"Use of the Battery Pack is prohibited".

Turbo3 said:
kevinleaf said:
on my MY2013 I don't get ambient temp but I do get tire pressures. Also with Alt GIDs set the DTE values are way off. Turbo3 let me know if you need any debug logs from me.
Do the AltGids display correctly or ar they off too. If the AltGids don't match the non-AltGids then I will need an ELM Trace.

I will try it and see. Do I still need to restart the app when selecting Alt GIDs or will it pick up the config change without a restart?

kevinleaf said:
Turbo3 said:
kevinleaf said:
Do the AltGids display correctly or ar they off too. If the AltGids don't match the non-AltGids then I will need an ELM Trace.

I will try it and see. Do I still need to restart the app when selecting Alt GIDs or will it pick up the config change without a restart?
No need to exit. Will change immediately.

When I got into my car to drive home today the "master warning light" was on. There must be a way with the Leaf Battery App to get the code but I could not figure it out and I can't go thru 217 pages of this forum to figure it out. Can someone point me in the right direction? I did log the stream from the ELM on the way home if that helps.

Something strange did happen when charging today: I got the text message from ChargePoint far earlier than usual today saying my car was drawing very little current and is probably done charging. I checked the LEAF via the Nissan App and saw it was only 75% charged. I started charging via the App and it seemed to resume. 1.5 hrs later or so I got the message charging was complete again. So for some reason charging stopped before full. It was not a very hot day. There might have been power interruption to the charger, I can't be sure.

I did verify that DTE and GIDs when set to AltGIDs was not correct on my MY2013. I will send the logs to Turbo3.

Turbo3 said:
All the codes are defined in the Service Manual.

It appears reseting is done by ECU so if the ECU has two or more DTCs they will all be cleared.

I don't know who does and doesn't have the SVC manual, but I did spring for the $20 to grab the svc manual for my 13, so i can look anything up there that anyone wants. (Or anything else)

The red (or yellow) Master Warning Light in the car's eyebrow
simply alerts you to the fact that there is another more-specific
red (or yellow) warning light or condition elsewhere.

The Seatbelt warning is red, the door open is yellow, I believe.
A battery fault is usually red, and a car fault code usually
illuminates the yellow car profile with the "!" in it.

It's the classic 2013 Power Distribution Module failure. Only a dealer can fix it. It can vary from just a software upgrade to a new PDM...

kevinleaf said:
When I got into my car to drive home today the "master warning light" was on. There must be a way with the Leaf Battery App to get the code but I could not figure it out and I can't go thru 217 pages of this forum to figure it out. Can someone point me in the right direction? I did log the stream from the ELM on the way home if that helps.

If you include the Fault Code descriptions, please make it possible to
manually enter several (perhaps 6) error codes, and scroll through
the descriptions.

This is useful when reading a post in the forum and there are error
codes mentioned, or being discussed.

We could also use such a feature to review the descriptions
and enter corrections or better translations, writing them into
some "errata" file, and being able to send these corrections to
you, or to a volunteer who will maintain the file that you
either read in the app or include in the compile.

If you make a few case statements, each using a data string
that is defined in a file that you can include, you could send
that tested file to me, or other volunteer, to expand for you.

Case statements of the 2-byte unsigned integer value of the
Code might be efficient?

Oh, some way to scroll through the supported codes, in
order of the Code values, would also be great. Perhaps
enter your code, you show the closest code in the center of
a scroll list, and allow scrolling up and down to pick
a set of codes to examine in more detail?

Cheers, Gary

Having looked at the number of DTE codes in the service manual there are just too many to be included in the app. There will need to be an external CSV file that the app uses to look up the text for each DTE code.

I will be working on the new "Service" panel layout today. It will be a fifth screen that you can enable or disable from the setting screen. Initially it will be disabled so the app has the same four screens as today. It will have the following functions.

* Auto Door Lock/Unlock programming
* Tire Registration
* Diagnostic Trouble Code Reading/Clearing

I will probably need a disclaimer statement when you enable the screen the first time that you accept all responsibility for its use and any resulting damage direct or indirect from its usage. Any suggested wording for the statement? Until I have a statement in place only the DTE reading will funciton in the initial beta versions.

Turbo3 said:
2013 Leafs have a different message format for the ambient temp. The next version of the app will correctly handle it.

So does the dimming feature. Will it also fix the tire pressures and App dimming w. headlights? I went back to v.h so tire pressures work.

Back