Variable current EVSE cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyodor

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. Logged on to have a chat about EVSE cables. A friend and I are developing a very easy to use variable current cable that allows the user to adapt to various charging situations. We've tested our prototype on a Leaf and a Peugeot iOn.
The plug on the car-side of the cable allows you to easily set the current from 6A to 16A 120-240V (up to about 3650W although some cars like the iOn are limited, 3200W in that tested car), in increments of 1A.
Changing the current is a very simple push-button procedure that anyone can easily learn.
The reasons you may need to change charging current can be fuse limitations, high-draw times in buildings (ie. AC's running around noon on a hot day), etc.

I would like your thoughts on this kind of an accessory and possibly if there's someone state-side willing to give it a try, since I'm an expat currently living in Europe.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Paul

Good Luck. We already have EVSEUpgrade that will upgrade your existing unit from 120volt to 240volt and his is also user adjustable. He is also located in the states so no international shipping involved. I think your going to have a tough sell on State side.

We also offer a user adjustable J1772 EVSE based on the Tesla UMC called JESLAtm. Just pop on the correct wall plug, and it will automatically charge at the correct amperage.

It works up to 40 amps on 50 amp circuits.

Here's what it looks like

JKuOQb3l.jpg

The main factor being that there is no brick anywhere. All power management has been fit inside the J1772 plug. Easy to carry around, takes up much less space, the weight difference is very noticable compared to the 10A (12A USA,iirc) limited original Leaf cable. The above is 2 phase and we also have a 3 phase version with appropriate cable/parts upgrades.
All parts are brand new and designed for higher current than needed, to avoid any possible problems.

Fyodor said:
Here's what it looks like

JKuOQb3l.jpg

The main factor being that there is no brick anywhere. All power management has been fit inside the J1772 plug. ...
In that case it doesn't meet standards, at least here in the states where GFCI protection has to be within 18 inches of the outlet. Does it even have proper relays in it to control the power output?

Put a right angle GFI plug on there and I would give it a go if I needed it.
BTW we have lots of different plugs depending on the power level, voltage and service type.
The rest of the world has it relatively easy with that 230v Schuko. But then is this cord limited to 16 amps? Or is it 13 amps?
We are mostly looking for 30 amp cord plugged into 40 amp or 50 amp supply.

smkettner said:
Put a right angle GFI plug on there and I would give it a go if I needed it.
BTW we have lots of different plugs depending on the power level, voltage and service type.
The rest of the world has it relatively easy with that 230v Schuko. But then is this cord limited to 16 amps?
We are mostly looking for 30 amp cord plugged into 40 amp or 50 amp supply.
I agree. With the GFCI solved, and a reasonable price point, it could work out. The only other technical issue that worries me would be that fact that there are always live conductors inside the handle. Could be a problem if the handle is dropped into water, run over, etc... Of course a good GFCI makes that much safer.

What kind of price point are we talking about, Fyodor? Go with an L6-20 or L6-30 plug on it and you could use the same set of adapters the EVSE Upgrade is using. 16a is quite useful, but anything that could be done to create a 20a (or higher) version would be be received well.

The issue with this unit is that the relays are in the handle, this does not meet the UL or SAE standard regardless of the unit being UL certified or not. In addition a proper quality 240V GFCi is expensive as an add on. The issue with the relays not being in the cord is not solved by the GFCI, it eliminates the proximity disconnect for cable removal from the car. Another aspect is that the adjustable feature for amps has little value in the USA since it is only a 16A unit. In Europe there are 10A breakers so lowering to that level is needed but in the US everything is 20A or greater so it is not much of a benefit at all. It is also not clear if it operates on 120V, which means two cords possibly. If the cord met the SAE/UL spec, had proper US connections and standards, was 120/240V and was about $150 it would be a good low-cost spare cord to bury in the trunk.

Someone else made a cord almost exactly like this in Europe a while back already, if this is not the same product it is almost identical. It looks like an updated version of that one with a newer handle. Service on the unit could also get expensive.

I'll get back to you guys during/after the holiday season since my regular business requires long work hours in the days nearing Xmas.
Thanks a lot for the input, especially the stuff I don't realize when dealing mostly with EU standards.

Back