Wards : Leaf Coveters Lean Toward Leasing, Can order Online

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://wardsauto.com/ar/leaf_coveterrs_leasing_100719/

“We know there’s a lot of interest in lease because consumers see the value receiving the tax credit up front,” NNA spokeswoman Katherine Zachary tells Ward’s. “But enough are expected to buy that we want to be able to offer both.”
Of the reservation-holders, 75% own single-family homes, 68% have attached garages and 18% have detached garages or carports, Nissan says.
Energy independence and reducing environmental impact are in a virtual tie for the top spot as the would-be Leaf buyers’ primary motivator – even before the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Zachary says. A lesser percentage of reservation-holders cite fuel economy and cost.
After placing a reservation and completing the AeroVironment survey, the next step for potential buyers is ordering. This can be done online or at the dealer.

Ordering can be done online ? @ MSRP ?

evnow said:
Ordering can be done online ? @ MSRP ?
Heh, with all the mis-information we've seen in these articles, I wouldn't believe this until we hear it directly from Nissan.

One possibility though - my understanding is that the lease goes directly through Nissan. So it could be that if you are going to lease, you can "order" it directly through the website and just select the dealership where you are picking your Leaf up from.

FLASH:
If you order on-line, there is no extra $850 (or so) dealer "destination fee", since the car will come directly to your driveway.

No, just teasing!

More seriously, I suspect that what we are doing on-line (our Registration, pre-Reservation, EVSE install, etc.) is considered the "On-line Ordering" method.

Then, most likely, going directly to a dealer, doing nothing on-line, would be the "other" (more traditional) way of Ordering a LEAF.

Woah, that would be great if you could just order online. Afterall you can order anything online today with the exception of certain things which includes new cars.

You absolutely will not be able to just order your car online. Nissan has assured of that. Orders will commence 08/19 (at the dealerships) I was told, after which you best get in asap to complete your reservation order, especially if you're a "Priority Reservist". You might better your chances of getting your car Dec/Jan time-frame.

Keep in mind, for those wanting to lease...Nissan has stated that Dealers "set final pricing". I expect the lease that they have been advertising is a "lease special"---one which dealers may not be able to alter per the pre-determined parameters, the exception being, they don't sell it to you at the MSRP. If you pay 'mark-up', then obviously your payment will be different and some may not qualify for the 'lease special' in the first place, as they are set up for the best rated credit-performers. You have to be atleast a Tier 1 rating. I'll learn more details that govern the lease soon.

deetime7767 said:
You absolutely will not be able to just order your car online.

Thats sounds right.

BTW, tomorrow was supposed to be some dealer conference / meeting / training - not sure whether that was CA only. Going for that ?

From the article:

The credit already is factored into the car’s lease price of $349 a month over 36 months, after a $1,999 down-payment.

This is interesting. Right now you can get a ~$24,500 Prius on a three year lease for $1999 down and $199/month.

Why is it that a $34,000 Leaf minus a $7500 tax rebate - e.g. a ~$26,500 car - costs almost twice a much to lease as a Prius? Something doesn't add up here!

Well we know quite a few dealers who will be doing MSRP, no markup...So I would recommend everyone go to those dealers.

I am getting mine out of state anyways...If nobody gives me MSRP in Phoenix, I try Tucson. If not there I go further. I personally don't mind if my cost are a bit more trucking it from California or Washington than they will be from Arizona. It really is the principle. I was quoted a price from Nissan, I agreed and put down a deposit. And that is the price I will pay.

Gavin

BTW, tomorrow was supposed to be some dealer conference / meeting / training - not sure whether that was CA only. Going for that ?

I was notified by my dealer that he will be attending a Nissan Executive Meeting on Thursday as well
He is located in Phoenix, AZ (Metro).

LakeLeaf said:
This is interesting. Right now you can get a ~$24,500 Prius on a three year lease for $1999 down and $199/month.

All the deals in local newspapers I've cheked over the past weeks - looking for lease figures on comparably priced vehicles (around $25K) - are between $300 to $350.

Toyota is giving special lease rates, that is the reason for lower lease. Toyota started this after all the media scare stories about "unintended acceleration".

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/blog.aspx?post=1620089&_blg=1,1620089

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-deals/Toyota-Deals/

From this link (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d1fb7) - the residual is 18,713 (66% - usual residual is like 50-55%). Also the MF is 0.000016 i.e. nearly 0%.

Agreed Upon Value: $27644.22
Total Capitalized Cost: $27644.22 + $45 Doc Fee + $650 Acquisition Fee = $28339.22
Residual Value: 18713
MF: 0.000016
Drive off including first month's payment, title, etc: $1000
Monthly payments with tax: $293

You can take a look at what other cars cost ...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef17997/

mwalsh said:
This is kind of a silly question but.....when we order to buy in August, do we pay a deposit or do we pay the entire amount for the car?
My question is why would I order the car before I can sit in and turn on the radio? Anyone buying a car that cost over $30,000 and lot even looking at the car is nuts.

I agree wow what a lease price. That is the same cost to buy the car and you give it back in 3 years? How much to buy the car after the lease I would like to know?

evnow said:
deetime7767 said:
You absolutely will not be able to just order your car online.

Thats sounds right.

"That" training is going to be more 'online' training and some updated info about the dealer responsibility pertaining to ordering and vehicle delivery processes.

Gonewild said:
My question is why would I order the car before I can sit in and turn on the radio? Anyone buying a car that cost over $30,000 and lot even looking at the car is nuts.

Well, for me personally, a test drive has very little impact on what model car I buy.* Before I start test driving vehicles, I have already narrowed the field to no more than 2 models. Usually, I only have one model I'm interested in.

Except as noted below regarding the condition of used cars, a test drive is one of the least informative pieces of information about a car. It can't reliably tell you how well the car accelerates, brakes, or corners. It cant tell you the mpg, the reliability, or the safety.

When I buy a vehicle (which I do quite often), I have a particular purpose in mind. Weather it's the ground clearance and gear ratios of my 4X4, the towing capacity and volume of my van, or the efficiency and reliability of my commuter car, these things are all better judged by checking the spec's and reading the reviews than by making a test drive.

I don't think anyone here will complain if you want to wait and drive the car before buying, so why do you ridicule those of us the trust the reviewers to give us more complete information than what our butt in the seat can tell us?

* Note that because I usually (but not always) buy used cars, the particular car I buy does depend on the test drive because I'm evaluating what condition it's in. But with a new car, this is not necessary.

mwalsh said:
This is kind of a silly question but.....when we order to buy in August, do we pay a deposit or do we pay the entire amount for the car?

I can't speak for other places/states, but here in Phoenix, the sales guy told me that there will be NO additional money charged on the lease until delivery of the car, hopefully in Dec. In fact, he said even if I order it in August, I can still opt out when the car is delivered, and get my deposit back. :)

leaffan said:
mwalsh said:

I can't speak for other places/states, but here in Phoenix, the sales guy told me that there will be NO additional money charged on the lease until delivery of the car, hopefully in Dec. In fact, he said even if I order it in August, I can still opt out when the car is delivered, and get my deposit back. :)
That is good to hear that I can walk away if I change my mind and want to buy a different car or not at all. I told Nissan I would cancel my reservation if they only had a 5year/60,000 mile warranty I drive about 78 mile to work and back so around 19,000 miles a year. My warranty would only be for 3 year and then I would be on my own. I would like them to have a 8year/100,000 mile warranty included and a option to pay for a extended 10 year/150,000. I figure the more you drive a year the cheaper this car is because of the cost of gas that is saved.

Back