Warning - Nissan & spam phone calls (855-275-7180)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatl

A WARNING WHEN TALKING TO NISSAN DEALERS

I wanted to share a problem and give others a warning about spam phone calls I am getting from what appears to be Nissan.

I contacted my dealer about leasing a second Leaf. Turned out he had been promoted and he gave me to another salesperson.

Problem is that shortly after my conversation I started getting calls from an 800 number (855-275-7180) with a caller ID of "TOLL FREE CALL" - a caller ID commonly used by spammers, Telemarketers, and fraud sites. Every time I answered the phone there was no one on the other end, and when I tried to call back no answer.

A check on the internet ( http://www.callercenter.com/855-275-7180.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) shows this is a marketing firm car dealers use, as well as people calling for auto loans and other similar stuff.

I checked with my salesperson who told me it is Nissan who "checks up" on all sales entries. (When the salesperson records a discussion it goes to Nissan who then calls (annoys) you.

When I blocked them from my home phone (thanks Ooma for that service) the started calling my work cell phone (probably from some record they have when I leased the Leaf.) in the middle of the day and again, no reply when I answered.

They are blocked now, but I just wanted to warn everyone about not giving out too much information if value your privacy. (and maybe a little bit of a therapeutic rant)

This happens with every car dealer out there. If I give them a real phone number, it's only ever my Google Voice number so I can ignore/block/etc as needed. Some can be incredibly persistent. There was one Ford dealer who called and emailed for over a month even after I told him we'd gone with another dealer. Eventually I just blocked the number on GV which gives the caller a "not in service" message.

The vampires (used affectionately) at the red cross are also really big on this if you ever give blood. They would call me at least 4 times a week.

I had a similar situation with a Lexus dealer, I co-signed a lease for my son and I used my phone number, for months on end I was getting spam calls for my son on my phone trying to sell extended warranty insurance, car insurance and other auto related products. no matter what I told them the calls continued for months on end, blocking 1 number didn't work they just spoofed other numbers, finally I started saying that the kid died in an accident that totaled the car and after 3 or 4 calls the vultures finally stopped calling. It was an ugly but effective way of getting these scum bag telemarketers off of my scent

I was surprised to see that the Nissan "owner" (well, not yet) websiterequired TWO contact phone numbers, contact email, and then it popped up two dozen opt-out choices (which you have to individually un-check). I gave a fake number (555-1212) and apparently it's not clever enough to validate it. Some sites do.

Likewise, I used a free service called "Spamgourmet" (http://spamgourmet.com) which lets you create alias email addresses like [email protected] - these will forward 10 (by default) emails from whoever you use it with to your real email, then they just STOP (you can "whitelist". It's a great service IMO (I have no affiliation with them, just been a user for several years).

I was looking for a car (Prius...) locally and had to supply an email address. I'm really glad I used an alias, because within a week I had received 9 of the 10 allotted emails from them. Now... silence.

you can register for the Government's do not call list but I simply ignore these. I have custom ringtones set for family, work and "other" so over 95% of my calls are prescreened by the tune the phone put out :) I find that maybe 1 in 15 is a call I probably should have taken but also realized that of those, 100% leave a message

Back