What happens when the Battery shows no charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaveng

The second half of this video shows a Leaf owner just barely getting home. The battery shows empty. If he were to continue driving what would happen next? Turtle mode? And then complete stop?

http://youtu.be/Nkv3VS1F510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The LEAF's "GOM" (Guess-O-Meter) is pretty pessimistic, and there usually is more range available than indicated once you get to that stage. You get 2 verbal warnings; First is "Low battery", Followed by "Very Low battery", then comes the "turtle" mode in which the verbal warning is "Power Limited' and it begins dialing back throttle response.

The guy in the video was supposedly worried about making it home, yet he's going 68mph UP-HILL on the highway! All he had to do is slow it down a bit and he'd have lots more buffer.

He seems to even admit he's diving poorly when he comments about his chopped-down tree on the Eco indicator!

I could have made it home without even bothering to charge simply by driving carefully. I've done 120 miles, including a good chunk of highway, when I've needed to.

Still, he's driving that far to work and he doesn't even have Level 2 charging at home! Unbelievable!

Rather than relying on the horrible GOM, here's a better idea of the range capabilities of the LEAF, courtesy of Tony Williams:

(Click here for original range chart thread)

-Phil

So what's the net stage after Power Limited? The car eventually comes to a stop?
Ingineer said:
The guy in the video was supposedly worried about making it home, yet he's going 68mph UP-HILL on the highway! All he had to do is slow it down a bit and he'd have lots more buffer.
Yeah I made the comment "Slow down to 40 and you'll have tons of range" on the video. Some people are not bright enough to realize that slower speed == less energy burned.

At another point he accelerated to the redlight & then "hard braked" to regen. He thought that was a good way to recover the battery. LOL. Coasting and no braking would have been better.

Back