What is automatic control mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

From the owner's manual:

To set the automatic control mode, perform one
of the following operations.
. When the outside air circulation mode is on,
push and hold the outside air circulation
button for more than 1.5 seconds.
. When the air recirculation mode is on, push
and hold the air recirculation button for
more than 1.5 seconds.
When setting the automatic control mode, both
indicator lights will blink twice indicating that the
system is in the automatic control mode.

Trying to figure out what it does, no luck. Anyone know?

trentr said:
From the owner's manual:

more than 1.5 seconds.

Nothing here either. Seems like an unimplemented feature to me. Documentation is there, indicators are there, yet it does nothing.

I want 100% recirc all the time. Right now, Auto always seems to prefer "fresh" air.

"fresh" meaning diesel fumes, cigarette smoke, dust, etc.

trentr said:
From the owner's manual:
more than 1.5 seconds.

I believe that puts your HVAC in 'auto' mode instead of setting the cooling/heating manually. In auto mode, you just set it to the temp you want and it automatically keeps it there. My Celica had auto adjustable fan speeds which I hope the LEAF does too.

Auto usually opts for recirculating when there's a large temperature difference. When it's slightly cooler outside but I need A/C to counteract solar heating, auto uses outside air. When heating, it tends to like putting on the A/C at the same time - presumably to reduce the chance of fogging. It's easy to push the buttons to switch it if desired though. I like how when you get close to your desired temperature, climate control goes into an ultra-low power mode to maintain temperature efficiently :)

GroundLoop said:
I want 100% recirc all the time. Right now, Auto always seems to prefer "fresh" air.

"fresh" meaning diesel fumes, cigarette smoke, dust, etc.

I feel the same way. The only way I can defrost the front window is to suck poison freeway air into the cab. If anyone figures out a fix for this it would be time well spent. Maybe their is some logic for programming it like this but users need to be able to decide. I was thinking about starting a thread on the fresh air vs recirculated air issue with the car. cough cough :oops:

I never run the climate control in auto mode, but I suspect that all this does is set the default airflow direction for when you press the auto mode button.

For example if you want fresh air as the default when auto is selected then put it in fresh air mode and then press and hold the fresh air button for 1.5 seconds. Fresh should now be the default. You can test by putting the system in manual and recirc and then push the auto button and the system should switch it to fresh air.

palmermd said:
I never run the climate control in auto mode, but I suspect that all this does is set the default airflow direction for when you press the auto mode button.
From the Quick Reference Guide:

Press the auto button and the fan speed, air flow distribution and temperature will be automatically maintained.

palmermd said:

For example if you want fresh air as the default when auto is selected then put it in fresh air mode and then press and hold the fresh air button for 1.5 seconds. Fresh should now be the default. You can test by putting the system in manual and recirc and then push the auto button and the system should switch it to fresh air.
You would think, right? And the manual sortof says the same thing.

But it's not true.

Back