What is B mode actually doing?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone

This car kind of confuses me.

I am now not sure what the B mode for regenerative braking
is actually doing.

Is it just an intensity type of thing? Or perhaps to say that
when B mode is on, you get more regenerative braking, and
more reclaimed energy produced?

So what does this mean? Is it just slowing you down a little more?

I'm not sure why you would NOT want this all the time.

Thanks.

Good question...

I have a 2013 SL. When i drive in "B" mode at a steady speed on the highway and shift to "D" mode I swear it feels like something is "letting go". Could be my imagination. I'm going to do some testing with distance/range.

Let me tell you, from my own empirical evidence. The best regen is no regen, except when braking.

It is my experience that driving in 'D' and shifting to 'N" as and when it makes sense gives me a better range than in 'ECO'. This is equally true when you driving in highways or back streets. The only thing to get used to, is to not zip through but a steady smooth acceleration from a stop light.

mkjayakumar said:
It is my experience that driving in 'D' and shifting to 'N" as and when it makes sense gives me a better range than in 'ECO'. This is equally true when you driving in highways or back streets. The only thing to get used to, is to not zip through but a steady smooth acceleration from a stop light.

The way I do it (and achieve much higher mileage than most LEAFers) is drive in ECO and shift into neutral to coast until braking is needed. Why drive in D?

So let me see if I have this right.

In B mode, when you let off the accelerator,
you begin to harvest electrons through the
regenerative system? Yes?

Do you get this same thing when not in B mode,
only less so, or not at all?

I'm wondering about the technique of going to neutral
to coast.

Now this leads me to the question of what happens
when you touch the brake pedal? Does this cause
intense regenerative action before closing the brake pads,
or is it some sort of mix.

Thanks.

I verified that "something" is happening while your foot is on the accelerator. Example, driving at steady speed (in this case 55MPH) in "D" mode and shifting into "B" causes the M/kWh to increase and speed to slightly decrease. The opposite happens going from "B" to "D".

This isn't just an increase in regen when coasting or braking. It would be nice to hear technical information from Nissan.

I plan on testing actual performance over distance on a calm day in April.

stone said:
So let me see if I have this right.

In B mode, when you let off the accelerator, you begin to harvest electrons through the regenerative system? Yes?
Yes.
Do you get this same thing when not in B mode, only less so, or not at all?
You will significantly less regen braking when you back off the A pedal in "D" versus "B".
I'm wondering about the technique of going to neutral to coast.
If driving in D shifting to neutral is the only practical way to coast. I haven't had the chance to experiment with B, so I don't know about that setting. If you have a LEAF model with an energy screen try experimenting with holding the power at zero in B; I'd be interested in the results. LEAFfan would know, he has a 2013 LEAF.
Now this leads me to the question of what happens when you touch the brake pedal? Does this cause intense regenerative action before closing the brake pads, or is it some sort of mix.
It is some sort of mix. You will get more regen when applying the brake pedal but it isn't readily apparent when the friction brakes get applied. The best way to avoid unnecessary friction braking is to avoid using the brake pedal where possible, that is: slowing gradually using coasting or by using regen on the A pedal.

N1ghtrider said:
mkjayakumar said:
The way I do it (and achieve much higher mileage than most LEAFers) is drive in ECO and shift into neutral to coast until braking is needed. Why drive in D?
I agree. The only advantage to D is when driving using cruise control on undulating terrain—something you don't have in Florida. The car will use less regen braking when going downhill in cruise when in D and will allow the speed to creep up a bit more than when in Eco. But the efficiency difference is pretty small except in unusual circumstances. And one can just not use cruise control on undulating terrain to get the best efficiency.

Just a thought. Bring up the energy screen that has the power being used by the motor, the power used by A/C and heater and Other Systems. Then, when safe, notice the regeneration that you see when applying the brakes. As you apply more braking you can see the higher regeneration that is going on. This corresponds to the dots on the dash, but is more finite. I have practiced to the point that I can tell when the actual brake pads are making contact. Interestingly enough the severity of the stop can influence this. For example, when I come upon a traffic light and I have to stop in a hurry, the car seems to sense not only the amount of brake pedal movement, but the speed of the movement and I see that very little regeneration occurs as opposed to a gradual stop and the brake pads are in contact immediately. Having said that, we have a 2011 without the "B" option so that's why this is just a thought.

Roy,

When I take the foot of the accelerator, 9 out of 10 times I just simply want it to roll and not slow down through regen. I don't want to lose the kinetic energy. ECO is worse than D in that regard. If I want to slow down I will use the brakes in a way I will get some juice back, without hitting the friction brakes.

More often what I do is, anticipating a slow down or stop I take the foot of the pedal and change to N, and then coming close to stop I shift back to D and press the brakes gently.

The ideal mechanism would be, foot off the accelerator car should go into N coupled with a heavy regen on braking. Any regen with foot of the accelerator is a range killer - just relating my experience.

Jay

Back