what is the cost at .0875kwh for 120/9hrs compared to 24/3h

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you trying to figure out here? Are you trying to figure out L1 (120v) for 9 hours vs. L2 (24?v) for 3 hours? If it's something like that you are looking for, L2 is more efficient then L1 charging as the parasitic losses in the LEAF are the same on either L1 or L2 so the shorter charging time costs less as the total KWH (from the wall) is lower to complete the same charge. Or maybe you are going after something entirely different.

this is easy

120 volt charging at 12 amps is about 75% efficient

240 volt charging at 16 amps is about 87% efficient or 16% more efficient which means that it will cost you more money charging at 120 volts.

now you have a 2013 that charges faster than 16 amps so your efficiency will be higher and savings greater over 120 volt charging

So... 240v charging saves 16% of $0.0875 per KWh, or about $0.014. (A penny and a half.) At that rate, the ROI on a ~$1000 240V charger is about 66000 KWh, or the equivalent of 3000 complete zero-to-full battery charges.

Is that right?? Just mental estimating...

ObiQuiet said:
So... 240v charging saves 16% of $0.0875 per KWh, or about $0.014. (A penny and a half.) At that rate, the ROI on a ~$1000 240V charger is about 66000 KWh, or the equivalent of 3000 complete zero-to-full battery charges.

Is that right?? Just mental estimating...

$1000? wow, we fancy eh?

DaveinOlyWA said:
$1000? wow, we fancy eh?

Well, no, not intentionally. :lol: You're right, that's the high end, including installation of a new 240 circuit, and without the tax rebate...

Low end, just the $250 for the EVSE Upgrade... so that makes the equivalent full charges come down to 3000/4 = 750... is that in a reasonable ball-park?

This is a difficult subject to talk about because we know so little about the OPs motivation. There are other things to consider especially when looking at 15-16 hour recharge times

DaveinOlyWA said:
This is a difficult subject to talk about because we know so little about the OPs motivation. There are other things to consider especially when looking at 15-16 hour recharge times

I recently installed a 240 volt EVSE in my garage after nearly 9 months of primarily L1 charging. Even though L1 worked for my needs, having the faster charging speed has increased the usability of the car.

Before, I had to choose between an extended distance trip with the car at night, or an early morning start to an extended distance day trip with the car. Now, I can have both with only enough time in between for me to get a fair amount of sleep.

It's $1500 (for equipment AND installation) well spent, and I should have done it months ago. And with the 30% tax credit, I'm getting $450 back come next tax season, almost entirely paying for the EVSE itself.

Being able to use* the Leaf two, three, four times a day, always starting with 70+ on the GOM, and have it warm and toasting in the morning, priceless.

*use = drive 20 miles to somewhere and 20 miles back, park at home for an hour or so and do it again....and again...and again...

I went from worrying about if it will be charged, to figuring out how to set the timers to NOT charge between 9 pm and 7 am on weekdays so I could charge at work instead of home, knowing that I if I get home in the evening I can quick bump it to 80% and keep it topped off between frequent weekend outings.

Just do it.

Yogi62 said:
Being able to use* the Leaf two, three, four times a day, always starting with 70+ on the GOM, and have it warm and toasting in the morning, priceless.

*use = drive 20 miles to somewhere and 20 miles back, park at home for an hour or so and do it again....and again...and again...

I went from worrying about if it will be charged, to figuring out how to set the timers to NOT charge between 9 pm and 7 am on weekdays so I could charge at work instead of home, knowing that I if I get home in the evening I can quick bump it to 80% and keep it topped off between frequent weekend outings.

Just do it.

you bring up a good point. without his location we are truly unable to advise. does he have TOU? that would make a HUGE difference in his costs. right now we assume he does not. It is easy to recharge during super off peak for the most part but impossible to do so on 120.

I am a member in several forums that require location. (granted some put in nonsensical locations like "my living room" and what not) and really wonder why they dont do it here.

you can generalize. I put in "South Puget Sound, WA" but only because Olympia is at the southern most tip of Puget Sound. I make no secret of my location and wonder why others would want to but that is there thing...

I looked up the OP's other posts on this forum. He owns a 2013 LEAF with the 6.6 KW charger. In an earlier post he states he is using L1 charging. Another post talks about a $649 L2 EVSE and trying to figure out which way is cheaper to charge. Soooo----He needs to look at the costs for the EVSE and the convience of quicker, more efficient charging vs. no additional expense and longer, less efficient charging. I think that's what he is after. I know how I would go, L2 for sure based on the fact that the high output charger is already in his LEAF.

Back